Newcastle on the NHS

first14808

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
From the BBC:-

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-46363869
Thousands of people with type 2 diabetes in England are to be prescribed a very low-calorie diet in the hope of reversing their condition.

Under the pilot they will be restricted to 800 calories a day, in the form of soups and shakes, for three months.

When the diet was trialled last year, almost half of those involved managed to put their diabetes into remission.

I think those results may be a bit oversold, and there's a risk of false hope based on that description. Also appears to be a larger trial, rather than making it generally available. That seems a good thing given it'll generate more data, and help fashion support plans and post-shake diets.

But the BBC's also allowed a comment section, and shows we're not the only carb intolerant people-

7. Posted by PinkCatsMum
on 27 minutes ago
Here's an idea: Dr "eat less or you will be charged for your diabetes treatment should you develop it"

People still don't get that weight gain is a symptom of carb intolerance, not necessarily the cause..

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
unfortunately, I react to starvation/Very low calorie diets by almost coming to a full stop, and then put on more weight, on fewer calories, when I start to eat again.

cart before the horse treatment again.

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
unfortunately, I react to starvation/Very low calorie diets by almost coming to a full stop, and then put on more weight, on fewer calories, when I start to eat again.

cart before the horse treatment again.
I did the same when I went on a 900 cal diet in my early twenties - my metabolism slowed down so much that my body was beginning to shut down. I saw an endocrinologist who told me that I was one of his few patients who could honestly blame their weight on their metabolism and I had a choice of either eating healthily/normally and remain overweight or cut down on my calories and become fatally ill - guess which I chose!,

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
I saw an endocrinologist who told me that I was one of his few patients who could honestly blame their weight on their metabolism and I had a choice of either eating healthily/normally and remain overweight or cut down on my calories and become fatally ill

That's disappointing, I have an appointment with an endocrinologist in January because low calories and more exercise haven't and can't solve my weight issues. At least I have the satisfaction that after being seen by a psychiatrist and a dietician, I have a letter saying I have a weight problem and not an eating problem. I'm looking for a cure for my sluggish metabolism although at the moment I'm trying to do something about my gut bacteria which could be part of the problem.

Reactions: Daphne917

dipsydo

I know we are all different and that anything which helps people put T2 into remission should be commended . Nevertheless I think that the N D is naturally low ( not ultra low ) carb because if you look up the carb content per drink it is about 30 so would be 90 a day. I know some would say that 90 carbs is too high but one would think it is possible that reducing carbs may be one of the reasons which the ND has a beneficial impact .

I think it would be useful if they would run a trial comparing low carb with N D to see the benefits and the side effects and the ease that people the the two approaches. I can quite believe that some could find N D easier than Low carb and vice a versa.
I also think it is unfortunate how the N D is being reported and plays into the view that T2,s have brought it on themselves by overeating while anyone reading this forum knows there are many reasons including genetics why someone can become T2 and that there are thin T 2.

I also find it a bit ironic that N H S is prepared to put funds into the N D but not into strips for people who want to test to find what foods gives the best blood sugar results for the individual.

Reactions: OrsonKartt

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
That's disappointing, I have an appointment with an endocrinologist in January because low calories and more exercise haven't and can't solve my weight issues. At least I have the satisfaction that after being seen by a psychiatrist and a dietician, I have a letter saying I have a weight problem and not an eating problem. I'm looking for a cure for my sluggish metabolism although at the moment I'm trying to do something about my gut bacteria which could be part of the problem.
He told me that my metabolism was too efficient and went into ‘starvation mode’ too soon and my thyroid wasn’t helping because it couldn’t make up its mind as to whether it was over or under active. I was finally diagnosed with hypothyroidism in 2014 and although still overweight, I have managed to lose 2-3 stone. I’ve also reduced my carbs which may also have helped.