1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Newcastle on the NHS

Discussion in 'Diabetes Discussions' started by first14808, Nov 30, 2018.

1. first14808

first14808 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

From the BBC:-

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-46363869
    I think those results may be a bit oversold, and there's a risk of false hope based on that description. Also appears to be a larger trial, rather than making it generally available. That seems a good thing given it'll generate more data, and help fashion support plans and post-shake diets.

But the BBC's also allowed a comment section, and shows we're not the only carb intolerant people-

People still don't get that weight gain is a symptom of carb intolerance, not necessarily the cause..

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. lucylocket61

lucylocket61 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

unfortunately, I react to starvation/Very low calorie diets by almost coming to a full stop, and then put on more weight, on fewer calories, when I start to eat again.

cart before the horse treatment again.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. lucylocket61

lucylocket61 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

4. Daphne917

Daphne917 Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

I did the same when I went on a 900 cal diet in my early twenties - my metabolism slowed down so much that my body was beginning to shut down. I saw an endocrinologist who told me that I was one of his few patients who could honestly blame their weight on their metabolism and I had a choice of either eating healthily/normally and remain overweight or cut down on my calories and become fatally ill - guess which I chose!,

• Like Like x 2
  5. DavidGrahamJones

DavidGrahamJones Type 2 · Well-Known Member

That's disappointing, I have an appointment with an endocrinologist in January because low calories and more exercise haven't and can't solve my weight issues. At least I have the satisfaction that after being seen by a psychiatrist and a dietician, I have a letter saying I have a weight problem and not an eating problem. I'm looking for a cure for my sluggish metabolism although at the moment I'm trying to do something about my gut bacteria which could be part of the problem.

• Like Like x 1
    • Hug Hug x 1
  6. dipsydo

dipsydo · Well-Known Member

I know we are all different and that anything which helps people put T2 into remission should be commended . Nevertheless I think that the N D is naturally low ( not ultra low ) carb because if you look up the carb content per drink it is about 30 so would be 90 a day. I know some would say that 90 carbs is too high but one would think it is possible that reducing carbs may be one of the reasons which the ND has a beneficial impact .

I think it would be useful if they would run a trial comparing low carb with N D to see the benefits and the side effects and the ease that people the the two approaches. I can quite believe that some could find N D easier than Low carb and vice a versa.
    I also think it is unfortunate how the N D is being reported and plays into the view that T2,s have brought it on themselves by overeating while anyone reading this forum knows there are many reasons including genetics why someone can become T2 and that there are thin T 2.

I also find it a bit ironic that N H S is prepared to put funds into the N D but not into strips for people who want to test to find what foods gives the best blood sugar results for the individual.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Daphne917

Daphne917 Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

He told me that my metabolism was too efficient and went into ‘starvation mode’ too soon and my thyroid wasn’t helping because it couldn’t make up its mind as to whether it was over or under active. I was finally diagnosed with hypothyroidism in 2014 and although still overweight, I have managed to lose 2-3 stone. I’ve also reduced my carbs which may also have helped.

• Like Like x 2
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook