Newish to the forum :)

Hellbunny

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi everyone! I'm somewhat new (registered in July) basically i'm going to give a not so brief intro :wave: somewhat confused about my diabetes..

I'm 20 years old with 2 children, basically this all started with my first pregnancy, 2010 when i was 25 weeks pregnant, at a routine antenatal check i was found to have ++ glucose in my urine, so i was sent for a OGTT which came back as Fasting - 4.1, and 2 hr Post lucozade drink 10.3. I controlled it with diet, though i couldn't eat many carbs.
After my baby was born i had a GTT and my numbers were normal, i tested a few times within a year as i still had a few strips left, my readings were normal.

Sept 2011 i got pregnant with my 2nd baby, at my 10 week appointment, + glucose in my urine, the midwife told me to wait til 28 weeks i will have a GTT, i made my own GTT appointment at 12 weeks as i didn't want to leave it that long!! Anyway it came back as fasting - 4.5, 2hours after drink - 12.1.
I controlled with diet then at 24 weeks at my hospital appointment they started me on insulin, the diabetic team decided to do some tests as i didn't fit the criteria for gestational diabetes, i was 8stone and have no family history of diabetes, no risk factors. The week after they told me i was borderline for type 1 diabetes, they did c-peptite and GAD and maybe something else, anyway they said they don't think my diabetes will go away and they will see me within a few weeks of my baby being born.

My second baby was born in may and i tested a few times and got readings of 11, 12 etc not using insulin, then my readings suddenly went normal! Happy days or so i thought. End of june i got chickenpox.. then July the 17th i decided to test (spur of the moment thing, hadnt tested in a couple of weeks) i'd eaten a piece of cake as it was my nieces birthday (i'd been eating healthy since the start of that pregnancy!) tested and it was 26mmol. So i went to hospital scared stiff, they put me on sliding scale, i didn't have ketones but i stayed in that night then started on insulin.
So from the 17th july to 31st july, i was on insulin, initially started off on 10 basal, and 4 bolus. But i was hypoing loads so they told me to reduce it, until i needed nothing. When i came off insulin my readings were around 8mmol 2 hours post meal, around 6.5mmol in the morning. My readings improved after a week which is where i stand now, around 6mmol fasting, and 2 hours Post meal 5mmol.

One thing that i've noticed though (and also noticed in my first pregnancy back in 2010 before i got diagnosed) i seem to have reactive hypoglycemia. i can eat something, then within 3 hours my levels go down to around 2.5mmol, i feel awful, shaky hypo feeling etc.

I've been off insulin since 31st july, the diabetic team said its my honeymoon and would only last a couple of weeks.
Can anyone relate to this?

xx

Giverny

Admin
Administrator
Type of diabetes
Friend
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Dishonest people, pessimism, spiders, mushrooms.
Hi Hellbunny and (belated) welcome to the forum. You can find plenty of support and advice from our members and I'm sure a few of them have had reactive hypos too! :wave:

desidiabulum

Not my area (in so many ways!) I'm afraid, but this is just to bump you up the list so that you get an informed answer. Come on, diabetic mothers!

Hellbunny

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Thanks! :)
Its a weird situation, even my DSN is abit taken back by my diagnosis, it seems quite slow onset (thank goodness) technically i've had some form of diabetes since summer 2010, can type 1 really progress so slowly? I don't fit the criteria for type 2 either, and the antibody/cpeptide tests etc pointed to type 1.. but at 20 years old (diabetes started at aged 18) i am too young for LADA 1.5? I've been looking up MODY but i'm not too sure about that either.
As of now my readings are something like this:

Morning fasting - 6.7
2 hours post breakfast - 6mmol
2 hours post lunch - 6.5
before bed - 6.1 (this was yesterdays readings)

Food wise i'm eating healthily, no sugary things or white bread.
I'm eating foods similar to what i ate in pregnancy with the diabetes.
I haven't heard of type 2 diabetes in people of my age though.. just seems weird! :crazy: