Newly diagnosed 29th November.

briped

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
@shelley262 Thanks :) Uploaded to my google book account. Really need to do something sensible about my diet.

Reactions: ziggy_w

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I am glad you enjoyed your breakfast, it sounds lovely. However, as said by @Rachox , when you get your meter and start testing your meals you are likely to find there were too many carbs in it for a breakfast. I love my "fry ups" including one Hecks sausage and Burgen bread, but save this meal for lunch times and even sometimes for evening meal. In fact today for lunch I will be having a fried egg and loads of mushrooms (fried in butter) with one grilled tomato and one Hecks sausage along with half a slice of Burgen. I also find that although Burgen is a low carb bread, half a slice makes little difference to my levels, but a full slice is more difficult to manage. These are things you will be able to work out for yourself when you get a meter. It is all trial and error, and all very individual.

Reactions: ziggy_w

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
biscuits and crisps were my favorite.
Get some pretty hard cheese (I use mature Gouda, as I'm in the Netherlands, but I expect mature Cheddar will work just as fine). Make very thin slices. Put on greaseproof paper, you can add paprika, black pepper or whatever if you like. Zap in microwave for somewhere between 1.5 and 2.5 minutes. If done right, they should be as crispy and thin as crisps after cooling!

Reactions: ziggy_w and briped

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi and a warm welcome to you @Northern Girl2. I'm from the north too. We might even be neighbours!

You have already had loads of great advice and info sent your way. Re the meter, I and many on here have a codefree. The strips are possibly the cheapest. You can order from homehealth-uk.com

Discount codes:
5 packs - 264086
10 packs - 975833

I find my monitor invaluable. I test on waking to get my fasting level. Before each meal and 2 hours later. If it's over 2 points difference at 2 hours I look to reduce the carbs in that meal. I am a dab hand now and know what to eat and what spikes me. I'm usually back to my starting point after 2 hours. But it takes practice.

I was diagnosed this time last year after going to the Dr with constant indigestion and ibs symptoms. My bloods were taken and hba1c of 62 confirmed. I cried bucket loads. Couldn't even say I was diabetic for about 3 months (now I tell anyone I bump into, even tap people I don't know on the shoulder to share my story! ;)).

I like you found this amazing site. Changed my way of eating to low carb high healthy fat straight away and watched my hba1c come down to 47 in Feb (pre diabetic) 41 in May (non diabetic) and 39 in November. Within 6 months I had lost almost 4 stone. I've never been able to lose 1 lb over the years never mind stones! I find the high fat part of the diet fills me up for longer. I am quite boring and have eggs of some sort for breakfast, cooked in butter, with double cream and cheese. Alternatively full fat Greek yoghurt with any fruit ending in berries. Or if I fancy kippers that's what I will have. A coffee and cream with a couple of pieces of 85% choccy for lunch or a salad of some sort. And for dinner the world is my oyster as long as I don't have bread, rice, pasta or potatoes. I swap pasta for green beans when having spag bol. Rice I swap for cauliflower rice. Celariac for potatoes and there are some low carb breads out there but im not fussed to be honest. I have had the odd slice of bread as a treat and that keeps me happy. During the evening if i fancy something I have a glass of red wine with some olives, nuts and cheese of my choice.

I love the new me. I've learnt about me. About my body. About health in general. It feels amazing. When I look back at what I used to eat, so called healthy cereal, so called healthy processed meals etc etc I cringe. It's no wonder I piled the weight on. I feel my diagnosis was a blessing in disguise.

I hope this helps a little.

Kailee56

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Diet only
Wow. Lots of great advice already given. Not much to add other than Welcome and keep testing.
Remember that everyone starts out as a shocked, overwhelmed, beginner. You can do this!

Reactions: Debandez and Prem51

Kayanne

Hi, I was diagnosed 4 week's ago. I went to the library and found they had a few books on type 2. I have not had a great deal of help from my nurse, but have found an excellent book called Can I eat that. by Jenefer Roberts. It has really helped me to understand about the foods I can and can't eat.

Chronicle_Cat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
This is the first I have heard about a monitor. Please can someone explain what you do with it? And do I need one?

Yes, you need one. It's the best tool for knowing what foods your body can tolerate and how you are doing. (Unfortunately most doctors don't tell newly diagnosed Type 2s this.)

After you get your monitor test before after meals and keep track of your readings and the foods you eat until you get comfortable testing have have some idea of how you are doing.

Then with a meter you test a small amount of a specific food. Right before eating, you test your blood glucose. 2 hours after eating you test again. You should see a slight rise, it should be under 2.0 mmol/L. If it's 2.0 mmol/L or more, that's a spike and that food isn't for you, eliminate it from your diet. You should see lower numbers if you eliminate the foods that cause you to spike. I find after you start seeing numbers trend downwards (it takes time), it's a huge motivator. I stay away from foods that spike me because I think of those high numbers and the type of damage they can do, this helps keeps me eating well.

The most common foods that cause spikes for many people are high carb foods - grains - wheat (bread, cereal, pasta), rice, oats, barley (inlcuding beer), potatoes, sweet potatoes, corn, bananas and tropical fruits and dried beans & lentils. There is some individual variation, that's why testing is so helpful and important.

Tagging @daisy1 for information on low carb eating as there are a lot of newly diagnosed in this thread. Carbohydrates are made up of long chains of glucose (sugar) and when digested, they break down as sugar in the body which our bodies can't handle. That's why eating low carb is so helpful.

Last edited:

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
@Northern Girl2
Hello Northern Girl and welcome to the Forum :) Here is the Basic Information we give to new members and I hope you will find it useful. Ask as many questions as you like and someone will be able to help.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEWLY DIAGNOSED DIABETICS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you'll find well over 235,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.

There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:
  • Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates
Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes.

Over 145,000 people have taken part in the Low Carb Program - a 10 week structured education course that is helping people lose weight and reduce medication dependency by explaining the science behind carbs, insulin and GI.

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips

The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:
  • structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to blood glucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic.

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.
Take part in Diabetes.co.uk digital education programs and improve your understanding. Most of these are free.

• Low Carb Program - it's made front-page news of the New Scientist and The Times. Developed with 20,000 people with type 2 diabetes; 96% of people who take part recommend it... find out why

• Hypo Program - improve your understanding of hypos. There's a version for people with diabetes, parents/guardians of children with type 1, children with type 1 diabetes, teachers and HCPs.