Newly diagnosed 9yo son

MarkT1

Hi all, our 9yo son has recently been diagnosed with type 1 diabetes. It came as a bit of a shock but we are now almost 2 weeks in and its slowly becoming easier.

I'll be using this forum quite regularly as have many questions and look forward to hearing from you.

Thanks.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi and welcome!

Ask anything you like. There is usually someone around with suggestions or experience of something similar. :)

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @MarkT1 ,

Welcome to the forum.

Quite a few parents on here with T1 younglings. No question is too trivial.
Make yerself at home!

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Welcome @MarkT1 :)

Sorry to hear about your son's diagnosis. I know it might not seem like it now, but it does get easier to deal with - both practically and emotionally.

MarkT1

Thank you all for your responses. The diabetic nurse we have is excellent and very informative.

I have also just bought Think Like A Pancreas after reading so many positive reviews on the forums, so will make a start on that too soon.

But it always helps to know that we have the support from these forums for any questions personal to us.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Think Like A Pancreas is a fantastic book!

If you're lookingbfor one about children, there's a book called Type 1 Diabetes in Children and Young Adults that's supposed to be good too.

MarkT1

Think Like A Pancreas is a fantastic book!

If you're lookingbfor one about children, there's a book called Type 1 Diabetes in Children and Young Adults that's supposed to be good too.
Thanks azure I'll check that one out too