Newly Diagnosed and Blurry Vision

C

CelalDari

The official line is that below the age of 40 it is likely to be type 1 and above 40 type 2. Remember that type 1s do not lose all pancreatic B-cell function suddenly, I was undiagnosed for nearly a year and only realised being tired, thirsty and urinating frequently in the last 3 months although I suppose my symptoms became worse gradually and my body learnt to ignore it. I was drinking water about 3-4 litres a day.

The likelihood is that after treating you with insulin at the hospital they took some blood to assess how much insulin you are producing using a C-peptide test and they probably also did a GAD antibodies and pancreatic islet antibodies tests to establish whether you are type 1 or 2. You might want to read into type 1.5/ LADA as I am not very informed about it.

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/high-blood-pressure-hypertension/

According to the NHS you're at high risk of developing hypertension but not officially hypertensive yet. You should wait for your body to normalise a bit. Your body is likely still settling after not receiving enough energy due to shortage/absence of insulin. In terms of your cholesterol you can stick to your current diet if you wish to but could opt for unsaturated fats such as olive oil, avocados and fatty fish rather than things like hard cheese, butter and fatty red meat. You must discuss with your dietician regarding what the ideal diet for you is but for now wait for a bit because it isn't confirmed if you are type 1/1.5/2/3c

ExiledJack

The official line is that below the age of 40 it is likely to be type 1 and above 40 type 2. Remember that type 1s do not lose all pancreatic B-cell function suddenly, I was undiagnosed for nearly a year and only realised being tired, thirsty and urinating frequently in the last 3 months although I suppose my symptoms became worse gradually and my body learnt to ignore it. I was drinking water about 3-4 litres a day.

The likelihood is that after treating you with insulin at the hospital they took some blood to assess how much insulin you are producing using a C-peptide test and they probably also did a GAD antibodies and pancreatic islet antibodies tests to establish whether you are type 1 or 2. You might want to read into type 1.5/ LADA as I am not very informed about it.

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/high-blood-pressure-hypertension/

According to the NHS you're at high risk of developing hypertension but not officially hypertensive yet. You should wait for your body to normalise a bit. Your body is likely still settling after not receiving enough energy due to shortage/absence of insulin. In terms of your cholesterol you can stick to your current diet if you wish to but could opt for unsaturated fats such as olive oil, avocados and fatty fish rather than things like hard cheese, butter and fatty red meat. You must discuss with your dietician regarding what the ideal diet for you is but for now wait for a bit because it isn't confirmed if you are type 1/1.5/2/3c

Yeah so I had the gad antibody and c-pep and I’m type 2. Since I’ve lost some weight my blood pressure is around 120/75 now.

Hopefully my lipids will have improved too.

C

CelalDari

Yeah so I had the gad antibody and c-pep and I’m type 2. Since I’ve lost some weight my blood pressure is around 120/75 now.

Hopefully my lipids will have improved too.

Are you still treating it with insulin? Or using tablets too? If your type 2 diabetes hasn’t progressed too much yet they normally just give oral medication, a healthy lifestyle plan and send you home.

But I remember you saying you were on insulin so I suppose your condition has progressed.

Reactions: Todd1974

ExiledJack

Are you still treating it with insulin? Or using tablets too? If your type 2 diabetes hasn’t progressed too much yet they normally just give oral medication, a healthy lifestyle plan and send you home.

But I remember you saying you were on insulin so I suppose your condition has progressed.

My blood glucose was around 17mmol/l when I was initially seen by an out of hours GP and he admitted me into hospital for two nights. When I was let out they didn’t then know if i was type 1 or 2 so put me on insulin.

When the c-pep and antibody tests came back they suggested I remain on insulin despite it being type 2 but I wanted to control it without so reduced the insulin gradually everyday until I stopped it completely about 6 weeks ago. I now take metformin 2x 500mg twice a day but I am hoping to reduce this at my next clinic appointment. The hope is then that I lose the final 28 lbs to take me to a healthy weight and try and get off medication completely.

Yesterday was my first day where 8 out of 8 readings were below 5 so really pleased with my progress. Saying that, my fasted BG was 6.2 this morning so there’s still plenty of working to be done.

DCB 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Carry out out pizza commercials on the TV and people bringing in a fresh box of glazed donuts to work !!! (They are evil)
Hi Jack,

The last fasting number you gave is great for a newbie. Since I from the the states I translated 6.2 to 111.6 and that is in the range for people with diabetes, Joslin Diabetes Center, Boston Massachusetts. I was initially getting these fasting numbers when I started out. Now I am getting 4.72 to 5.27 fasting numbers. It has taken me about 4 years to get to this point. I am not not disparaging the progress you have made it is outstanding !!!! The point that I am trying to make you need to give yourself time. I am sure you will get there.

I never had remission as a goal, I just made an effort to keep my numbers the best I could on a daily basis. With diet, exercise along with losing 50 lbs I was going hypo and was taken off my meds. Last month I got my first non diabetic A1C. Yes the seismic event centering around the central US was me jumping up and down. If I get a good A1C in August the I would be in the first stages or remission. Going into remission is now a goal, I sense the kill, but in the begging the goal I had was get my numbers as close to normal as possible. Over time I got there, but it took time.

Jack you have a great start keep it up !!!!!!!

Dave

Last edited:

ExiledJack

Hi Dave,

Thanks for your reply and congratulations on your a1c result. I bet you were delighted and deservedly so.

My fasted readings were the last to come down so I’m glad that they’re now constantly in the 5s. I’ve only been diagnosed for 3 months but it feels like I’ve made very good progress already.

My weight was 224lbs this morning so the weight loss is going well. I was 305lbs at my heaviest, it’s crazy to think I’ve lost 81 lbs in the last 4 years.

I treated myself to a sandwich for the first time yesterday - the bread was 9g of carbs per slice and I had two pieces toasted with bacon and cheese. My blood sugar went from 4.7 to 5.8 and then back down to 5. Typically after a my blood sugar goes no higher than 7. Really happy with that.

Some guys and gals on here are doing fantastically well on so few carbs. Im trying to strike a little more balance with carbs being around 70g for the day and exercising heavily and it’s working for the moment. I’m actually looking forward to my a1c result!

Thanks.

DCB 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Carry out out pizza commercials on the TV and people bringing in a fresh box of glazed donuts to work !!! (They are evil)
You are doing great in such period of time. And your fasting numbers are moving in the correct direction. Please let us know what happens with your A1C. From your culinary rebellion I say your system is dealing with limited carbs your pancreas is producing insulin. What works for me is when I cheat I take a walk to burn off sugar and plan to cheat when I have time to work it off. Even if your A1C is prediabetic it will come down over time. Remember an A1C is based on 3 months so what happen 3 months ago would effect the score.

Keep it up and be patient you are doing all the correct things it will take time for the numbers to go down. You are still learning

Dave

DCB 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi Dave,

Thanks for your reply and congratulations on your a1c result. I bet you were delighted and deservedly so.

My fasted readings were the last to come down so I’m glad that they’re now constantly in the 5s. I’ve only been diagnosed for 3 months but it feels like I’ve made very good progress already.

My weight was 224lbs this morning so the weight loss is going well. I was 305lbs at my heaviest, it’s crazy to think I’ve lost 81 lbs in the last 4 years.

I treated myself to a sandwich for the first time yesterday - the bread was 9g of carbs per slice and I had two pieces toasted with bacon and cheese. My blood sugar went from 4.7 to 5.8 and then back down to 5. Typically after a my blood sugar goes no higher than 7. Really happy with that.

Some guys and gals on here are doing fantastically well on so few carbs. Im trying to strike a little more balance with carbs being around 70g for the day and exercising heavily and it’s working for the moment. I’m actually looking forward to my a1c result!

Thanks.
Please let us know the result !!!!!!!!!!!

I have a question re blurry eye and the diagnosis/treatment given to me, can i ask that on here or do i need to start a new question/forum? Apologies new to this!

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have a question re blurry eye and the diagnosis/treatment given to me, can i ask that on here or do i need to start a new question/forum? Apologies new to this!
Probably best to start a new thread. Not everyone reads older ones

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If the treatment is having a positive influence on your blood sugars, and they're going down, blurry vision'll be with you for a week or two. Your brain's been compensating for the glucose distorting your vision, and as it doesn't have to do that anymore, it'll need a little time to adjust. Don't run out for specs, just get the cheap reading ones to tide you over for the duration. If you have other eye issues, like background retinopathy, then that's a whole different ballgame but could be improved with a change in diet. https://josekalsbeek.blogspot.com/2019/11/the-nutritional-thingy.html

Mind you, if it's just blurry vision after being put on meds... You're going to be fine, it's a good sign.