Newly Diagnosed and Confused

IBEX82

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Maybe next time try 2 eggs and no tomato and in some butter to the mix for extra satiety?

Yes perhaps the tomato doesn’t suit. I’ll try eggs tomorrow done in butter... or perhaps eggs and bacon. I had lower readings with that earlier in the week.

Lunch is grilled chicken and salad (lettuce, onion, peppers..) with mayo? Hoping this will be okay..I’ve measured it all and according my fitness pal it’s pretty low carb. Drinks wise is usually just water.

I am going to withhold the steroid tomorrow until after my breakfast reading and see how that is. Apparently once taken the steroid will steadily increase BG throughout the day.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes perhaps the tomato doesn’t suit. I’ll try eggs tomorrow done in butter... or perhaps eggs and bacon. I had lower readings with that earlier in the week.

Lunch is grilled chicken and salad (lettuce, onion, peppers..) with mayo? Hoping this will be okay..I’ve measured it all and according my fitness pal it’s pretty low carb. Drinks wise is usually just water.

I am going to withhold the steroid tomorrow until after my breakfast reading and see how that is. Apparently once taken the steroid will steadily increase BG throughout the day.
A new self experimenter.. welcome!

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes! My BG meter is my new best friend - my fingers hate it though :p
Don't forget to rotate hands and fingers and to use the side not the pad or (like I stupidly did yesterday) the bony bit on the front.. hurt like hell!

Reactions: IBEX82

IBEX82

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Don't forget to rotate hands and fingers and to use the side not the pad or (like I stupidly did yesterday) the bony bit on the front.. hurt like hell!

Ohhh I bet! Sides it is at the mo - I keep changing fingers though at least being on blood thinning injections, it’s free flowing!

IBEX82

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin

Annnd post lunch reading was 12.7... after chicken and salad. Where’s the eye roll emoji?! Pre meal was 8.4 so consistent with post breakfast.

Steroids suck :(

Last edited:

Caeseji

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Self-fellating idiots that don't at all look at other people's views
Annnd post lunch reading was 12.7... after chicken and salad. Where’s the eye roll emoji?!

They do, they honestly do but you’re taking the right steps so that it migrates even worse spikes. It’s just such a long list of what you have to deal with but I am going to hold out hope that that what BB said is true and it could kick the autoimmune to the curb for you. You’ve got this! :cat:

Hotpepper20000

Annnd post lunch reading was 12.7... after chicken and salad. Where’s the eye roll emoji?!

Yes that’s high after you ate but what was your BG before your first bite?
I understand that you have high BG but to know how a food affects you, you have to look at the rise from before and two hours after.
For example, if you started at 11 and two hours after you where 12.7 the what you ate was ok.

Reactions: IBEX82

IBEX82

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes that’s high after you ate but what was your BG before your first bite?
I understand that you have high BG but to know how a food affects you, you have to look at the rise from before and two hours after.
For example, if you started at 11 and two hours after you where 12.7 the what you ate was ok.

Apologies I’ll edit my post. It was 8.4. Also to point out, my BG doesn’t tend to respond in the normal manner at the moment due to steroids which push things higher than usual - or so I’m told by the DSN. Although as I said in my original post I thought it was carbs pushing it up but since I am keeping those to a minimum.. I honestly have no idea!

Last edited:

IBEX82

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
They do, they honestly do but you’re taking the right steps so that it migrates even worse spikes. It’s just such a long list of what you have to deal with but I am going to hold out hope that that what BB said is true and it could kick the autoimmune to the curb for you. You’ve got this! :cat:

Ahhhh you know, you’re great! This is what I need to tell myself - it’s all relative. And if was eating the NHS carbs with every meal manifesto like I was in hospital they’d be much much higher... I was getting numbers in the 20s then.

So... even though this isn’t the 2 or less rise.. it could be worse!

Thank you for sharing your positivity :)

Hotpepper20000

Apologies I’ll edit my post. It was 8.4
Ahh yes. You are in the beginning of changing how you look at food in order to manage your diabetes. It takes time. And you have other health conditions that you have to juggle.
I know steroids can play havoc on BG levels.
You are in the right place. The forum is great. There is always someone who can relate to what you are going through.

IBEX82

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Ahh yes. You are in the beginning of changing how you look at food in order to manage your diabetes. It takes time. And you have other health conditions that you have to juggle.
I know steroids can play havoc on BG levels.
You are in the right place. The forum is great. There is always someone who can relate to what you are going through.
I am a week diagnosed so probably chomping at the bit so to speak :happy: I am so glad I found this forum though, you’re all so knowledgable and helpful.

It definitely feels like a safe place to discuss, learn and even vent a little.

I appreciate all the input :)

Reactions: bulkbiker

Caeseji

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Self-fellating idiots that don't at all look at other people's views
Ahhhh you know, you’re great! This is what I need to tell myself - it’s all relative. And if was eating the NHS carbs with every meal manifesto like I was in hospital they’d be much much higher... I was getting numbers in the 20s then.

So... even though this isn’t the 2 or less rise.. it could be worse!

Thank you for sharing your positivity :)
Pffft! I'm great? You're the great one here for managing so much and still being a radiant personality here. They really are slowly coming up to date with guidelines and so on, trust me when I got my HBA1C wake up it took me a few weeks to even get below 8 but it does come down slowly but surely. All things need to be in harmony before the rest come together again and I am happy to share the positivity! It's what I needed at diagnosis and I just want to give that back to others :woot: Never be afraid to ask questions, to lament or anything like that because we are all in this together at different degrees.

IBEX82

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Pffft! I'm great? You're the great one here for managing so much and still being a radiant personality here. They really are slowly coming up to date with guidelines and so on, trust me when I got my HBA1C wake up it took me a few weeks to even get below 8 but it does come down slowly but surely. All things need to be in harmony before the rest come together again and I am happy to share the positivity! It's what I needed at diagnosis and I just want to give that back to others :woot: Never be afraid to ask questions, to lament or anything like that because we are all in this together at different degrees.

Thanks so much. I need to keep this in mind and remember it’s a long journey - I have to keep celebrating the small wins. Your posts definitely remind me to do that so thank you! :)

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
Ohhh it’s so disappointing.

Pre breakfast 4.7.... two hours post: 8.2

Breakfast: 1 egg scrambled and a small chopped tomato with a cuppa. Builders tea so just a threat of milk.

I may forgo my steroids tomorrow until I’ve done my after breakfast BG... see if it makes a difference.

Hi,
Two points if I may:
1. Don't feel bad about the 4.7 to 8.2 change from a 4.0 to 7.3 ! Your pre Breakfast was up by 0.7 , which is actually good, since 4.0 may suggest you may be close to Hypo overnight, so having your post-breakfast go up by 0.9 means it is only up by 0.2 from where you would expect it to be. And it is still below 8.5.
However like bulbbiker said,if you want your post-breakfast reading to be lower, then I suggest you just stick to proteins and fats for breakfast - so meat or fish (fatty is better), eggs ( the best balance food you can find), cheese, yoghurt, cream , leafy green veg. For example Spinach Omlette, Cheese Omlette, Bacon and Eggs, Boiled Eggs, a few strawberries or raspberries with double cream (if the meter says they are OK).
I don't mind having same breakfast every day (unless I am doing an Intermittent Fast - in which case no breakfast). So my breakfast is 2 hard boiled eggs with a cup of green tea (no sugar or milk). I find that doesn't raise my Blood Glucose at all at the 2hr mark.

2. How are your lunchtime and dinner time readings? I would be concerned about any readings over 8.5 at the 2hrs post-prandial measurement ( you first reported you were well over that after dinner). If so check again at the 3hr mark and also look carefully for hidden carbs in that meal.

Feel good about yourself - you can and you will control this thing now you have some basic knowledge. You now know more about it than the average Healthcare Professional!

IBEX82

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,
Two points if I may:
1. Don't feel bad about the 4.7 to 8.2 change from a 4.0 to 7.3 ! Your pre Breakfast was up by 0.7 , which is actually good, since 4.0 may suggest you may be close to Hypo overnight, so having your post-breakfast go up by 0.9 means it is only up by 0.2 from where you would expect it to be. And it is still below 8.5.
However like bulbbiker said,if you want your post-breakfast reading to be lower, then I suggest you just stick to proteins and fats for breakfast - so meat or fish (fatty is better), eggs ( the best balance food you can find), cheese, yoghurt, cream , leafy green veg. For example Spinach Omlette, Cheese Omlette, Bacon and Eggs, Boiled Eggs, a few strawberries or raspberries with double cream (if the meter says they are OK).
I don't mind having same breakfast every day (unless I am doing an Intermittent Fast - in which case no breakfast). So my breakfast is 2 hard boiled eggs with a cup of green tea (no sugar or milk). I find that doesn't raise my Blood Glucose at all at the 2hr mark.

2. How are your lunchtime and dinner time readings? I would be concerned about any readings over 8.5 at the 2hrs post-prandial measurement ( you first reported you were well over that after dinner). If so check again at the 3hr mark and also look carefully for hidden carbs in that meal.

Feel good about yourself - you can and you will control this thing now you have some basic knowledge. You now know more about it than the average Healthcare Professional!

Thank you, that makes so much more sense and surprisingly ties in nicely with this mornings experiment withholding my steroids too.

My fasting BG was higher this morning at 5.9, and I had two slices of bacon plus one scrambled egg. Two hours post reading was 6.4! Yay! I have only just taken my steroids so will see what that does to my pre lunch reading.

However in my mind, this at least proves the Breakfast is suitable carb wise - hopefully I am interpreting this right :)

My lunch and dinner readings always seem higher than they should be now I’m reducing the carbs however have gone down since cutting the carbs so it is working to an extent. Steroids once taken have a consistent increasing effect on BG as the day wears on so they must account for some of this.

No idea why I was at 5.9 this am, though I did wake a little later.

Thank you for such a detailed post. I am eagerly waiting for my Diabetes Code book by Jason Fung. Hopefully that will provide more knowledge which cannot be a bad thing. I have an appointment with the DSN next week to discuss BG, medication and where we go from here with regard to getting the numbers down while on high dose steroids. It should be interesting to say the least and I’m expecting a sour face because I’m not eating more carbs!

IBEX82

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
C0BC2662-3960-467C-8C9F-01E7DE83A033.jpeg

It’s here :D Looks like my reading for the next few days is covered :)

Attachments

• 4BF76A5E-60BF-4617-A70E-004ED02AC325.jpeg
    4BF76A5E-60BF-4617-A70E-004ED02AC325.jpeg
    638.8 KB · Views: 265

IBEX82

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
So this morning I stuck to steroids post breakfast reading.

I was 4.7 on waking and had 3 tablespoons full fat Greek yoghurt (onken) with 5 blueberries and 4 chopped strawberries. I took my reading two hours post and 5.3 - wooooo!!!!

Took my steroid post reading and will test once I’m home before lunch :)