Newly diagnosed and feeling down

Charlie84

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi all. This is my first post. I am newly diagnosed type 1 and I'm now controlling my own insulin. But I am feeling really down about eating. I have an app and a book and some good digital scales but family had a take away and I couldn't measure what carbs are in it so ended up not having it. Just all the weighing testing my blood working my insulin out before I can even have anything to eat is just seeming like a big chore and getting me down more that I first thought. Am I being ott and over dramatic or did anyone else feel like this? I know it's supposed to get easier but right now it isn't. X

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all. This is my first post. I am newly diagnosed type 1 and I'm now controlling my own insulin. But I am feeling really down about eating. I have an app and a book and some good digital scales but family had a take away and I couldn't measure what carbs are in it so ended up not having it. Just all the weighing testing my blood working my insulin out before I can even have anything to eat is just seeming like a big chore and getting me down more that I first thought. Am I being ott and over dramatic or did anyone else feel like this? I know it's supposed to get easier but right now it isn't. X
I certainly felt that way. I am two years in now and it definitely gets better and easier. I still weigh my protein, lol. It has a big effect on me. I so t eat out often because as you said, who knows what's in it. Miscalculated too many times. You won't be weighing forever but you will be testing unfortunately. I found meals that work with set dose and I stick to those. Not many surprises. Other than weighing protein I can eyeball most veggies and fat I eat until satisfied but some with all meals. I don't eat grains and I'm very low carb but that suits my stomach too.
Many of us eat the same BF and lunch and maybe vary dinner. These days I like to keep things simple and not stress about what to eat or not eat and what's my bs doing. This works for me but not everyone of course. I love my food but in the end, it's just food so I will eat what works.

You will find a routine that works for you. Trust me, it does get easier.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @Charlie84 Welcome to the forum ;)

It does get a lot easier, here's the best tip I can offer you, download carbs and cals on your phone, it shows plates of food and carb content so helpful if your not able to weigh foods but need to know how many carbs. Myfitnesspal also gives carb content based on weight too.

In time it does become second nature and also just getting used to what contains carbs too, there's always someone around for a chat if you need support :)

Reactions: 2 people

CDudley

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

I'm sorry you're feeling this way. I was diagnosed in March and so can understand the emotions you go through. What I can say is that you will go through the whole spectrum of emotions anger, frustration, jealousy (of people who dont have it), guilt, wondering if you could have avoided it, depression. All of these are perfectly normally and I went through them too, still do in the back of my head and that's the key. Really really feel the emotion, don't ignore it but then when you've indulged you must pick yourself up and get on with life. Try to think of something that keeps you going. If you don't find life a motivator then think of someone who would be absolutely gutted if anything happened to you and do it for them. Then start very very slow, small steps. What helped me was to look at my favourite foods and try to come up with something similar with lower fat and calories. For instance swap crisps for plain popcorn. Introduce fruit into your diet. Start with an apple. I have an apple in mid morning, a banana with my lunch and an orange in the evening. Some say that it has sugars that might spike your blood but I say better that than the usual chocolate and sweets I would normal eat. Then look at your bread. If you're going to have bread daily just have it once. I stopped having toast in the morning and instead have porridge or wheatabix, muesli if I'm about to do running. And I now have my bread as a sandwich at lunch. Burgen bread is good for diabetics I've heard. Then look at your dinners. Change your spaghetti for whole wheat and your rice for brown or caulirice (cauliflower made into rice). Try to have two fish meals a week (I had no idea how easy it is and quick to cook!), have less meat and more lentils. Limit your milk, I tend to do 50% water 50% milk but that's coz I drink a pint a day. Then finally when you've got your food sorted (and you could write a 4 weeks meal plan which helps me no end) then you can work on exercise. I used to walk but now I do 5K once a week (look up your local parkrun, it's not just for good runners but the likes of me who takes twice as long), walk to work every day which is 2 miles a day mon-fri. Sundays I swim and soon I'll be getting a bike for short journeys. Use the stairs instead of lifts. It seems like my whole life has changed but now I am fitter and happier. I still have a long way to go but I'm trying and thats all that matters is that you try. It's taken me 6 months to get to where I am now. Just keep at it and keep strong! You can do it!

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@CDudley I suppose because you're newly diagnosed and taking 1,500 mg metformin a day, you may be tolerating fruit 3 times a day, in addition to eating bread, grains, whole wheat pasta, brown rice, and drinking milk daily, but that's a lot of carbohydrates. I'm curious, are you testing your glucose levels 2 hours post meal? What have been the results?

Charlie84

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Oh thank you all so much all that advice and tips are so helpful. I do have a very supporting partner and family but it so reassuring to hear from people who actually know what it is like themselves. I really do appreciate all the advice support and help really means a lot. I have found I am eating a better diet and I have a dog to keep me fit! Haha I think I am just getting fed up of counting carbs all the time and all the working out but like you all have said I will get there and will find out what works and doesn't. It is still all very new but glad this forum and all you lovely people are here. Thank you all again feeling a bit more positive this morning. Thank you! Xxxx ps nice to make new friends too x

Sprocket_17

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Oh thank you all so much all that advice and tips are so helpful. I do have a very supporting partner and family but it so reassuring to hear from people who actually know what it is like themselves. I really do appreciate all the advice support and help really means a lot. I have found I am eating a better diet and I have a dog to keep me fit! Haha I think I am just getting fed up of counting carbs all the time and all the working out but like you all have said I will get there and will find out what works and doesn't. It is still all very new but glad this forum and all you lovely people are here. Thank you all again feeling a bit more positive this morning. Thank you! Xxxx ps nice to make new friends too x
Morning Charlie84, I just been diagnosed with Type 1 in June. Wearing 'L' plates also. After reading other peoples replies I may be a naughty person. Not got any digital scales etc, just have my normal well balanced diet. My biggest change was the portion size, now eat off a side plate, it may sound rather extreme but dinner plates are a lot larger than years ago. Still not able to eat fruit or anything sweet (ice creams) stick to dried fruit & nuts. Have baked crisps not others, not as bad as I thought:) Take your time, don't expect & push yourself too hard, it's all new give yourself & family time to adjust and accept what we have as a new you. Because we are all so individual what may work for one, may not work for another. What we all seek is advice, support and to know we are not alone. Enjoy yourself love everyone for who they are faults n all. Take care;)