Newly diagnosed and hypos...

Mags H

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all newly diagnosed where I welcome the new year in style spent 4 days in hosp after have high blood sugar levels.

I'd only just found out in November had diabetes, saw diabetic nurse who told me to diet and said see you next year!

Was put on insulin in hosp and metaformin, saw first consultant about a week ago, who seemed pleased with progress, especially with keeping levels under 10, but then tells me I'm not diabetes 2 but LADA!

After reading a lot of posts, realise i don't know much and wasn't diligent enough in taking in crucial information from docs n nurses.

In the grand scheme of things, the thing I currently watch out for is not going below 4 on my bs, then in my mind your entering hypo territory, so my question after all that waffle...I jest, its good to express yourself to others who really understand, next thing you know you've written an essay!!

It might seem like a dumb question, but my understanding of hypo is bs dropped below 4 and going into coma, but my reading once showed 3.4 but felt Okay, just ate lunch and the levels went back up...so does the term hypo refer to below 4 or in how unwell you feel which could possibly lead to going into a coma?

Thanks

jadeashton24

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
3.4mmol is classed as a hypo, however some non-diabetic people who test after not eating for a day or so may also test in the 3.4-3.9 area.
I am completely hypo unaware so if my sugars are below 4.5 I eat something with 15g carbs.

Mags H

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
3.4mmol is classed as a hypo, however some non-diabetic people who test after not eating for a day or so may also test in the 3.4-3.9 area.
I am completely hypo unaware so if my sugars are below 4.5 I eat something with 15g carbs.
Okay thanks...so it's about both having the hypo symptoms and/or having a reading below 4. When my consultant asked if I had a hypo, I answered no but I did in fact have.
My understanding of hypos is limited and only from the fact my stepfather went seriously below and into a fatal coma.
When my reading was 3.4 I felt well in myself, didn't class that as a hypo...there is so much to understand about this condition. Sigh...

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. It sounds like your insulin needs balancing. Do you use two insulins (Basal/Bolus) which is the best regime and carb-count when using the Bolus i.e. adjusting the Bolus to take account of the meal-time carbs.

Reactions: Nooch1 and Mags H

Mags H

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. It sounds like your insulin needs balancing. Do you use two insulins (Basal/Bolus) which is the best regime and carb-count when using the Bolus i.e. adjusting the Bolus to take account of the meal-time carbs.
I was started on the novomix 30 pen and when I had the low reading mentioned it was about a month ago and has since been adjusted and hasn't dropped below 4...my question was really about understanding hypos. Need to take part in the hypo study offered me thinks...Thanks for replying

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
I was started on the novomix 30 pen and when I had the low reading mentioned it was about a month ago and has since been adjusted and hasn't dropped below 4...my question was really about understanding hypos. Need to take part in the hypo study offered me thinks...Thanks for replying

@Mags H ,
A hypo is clinically defined as being below 4mmol/L. Because of this, you do not need to feel hypo symptoms to be in a state of hypoglyceamia.

Usually I know I'm approaching a hypo when my blood sugars are getting anywhere below 5, but a couple of times I've been down to 3.2 and 3.0 with no symptoms.

Reactions: Mags H

Mags H

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
@Mags H ,
A hypo is clinically defined as being below 4mmol/L. Because of this, you do not need to feel hypo symptoms to be in a state of hypoglyceamia.

Usually I know I'm approaching a hypo when my blood sugars are getting anywhere below 5, but a couple of times I've been down to 3.2 and 3.0 with no symptoms.
Thanks urbanracer, yeah I had no symptoms, so didn't know this would be classed as hypo. I get below 5 at least once 1 out of my 4 readings for the day, thought this was consider okay between 4-7. Feel the balance of my insulin is good now, perhaps I need to eat a little more.

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Thanks urbanracer, yeah I had no symptoms, so didn't know this would be classed as hypo. I get below 5 at least once 1 out of my 4 readings for the day, thought this was consider okay between 4-7. Feel the balance of my insulin is good now, perhaps I need to eat a little more.

@Mags H , Staying between 4-7 would be amazing if you could pull it off! Being around 4 would only be a worry for me if was driving or engaged in some phyical activity where it was likely to fall further.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi and thanks. If your bs is well-controlled then stick with mixed insulin until the situation changes. For info I'm aware of going hypo when I'm below around 4.5. The lowest I've been is 3.4 and sometimes I'm well aware and sometimes only mildly aware when below 4. My symptoms include hot sweat, slightly shaky and being 'spaced-out'. Yes a rapid drop makes me more aware which is useful. I seem to stick around 3.4 to 3.6 when going down which I think means my liver is dumping glucose to help bring it back up.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am told I am type 1 (on diagnosis, fit the type 1 profile), had antibody tests, GAD came back 'weak positive', C peptide 'low end of normal', started on very low doses of insulin but kept going under 4 on a regular basis so they told me to stop all the insulin as this was my 'honeymoon'. I have had no insulin for two months now but still felt the symptoms of 'hypo's' and continued to test. Readings are regularly in the low to mid 3's. Spoke to a 'diabetes' nurse at the GP's who said 'don't worry, it's not a hypo cos you're not on insulin (fair enough) and only worry if it drops into the 2's'. She ended with btw, she was not a diabetic but hers quite often dropped to 1.8 so really even if I dropped that low I would be alright. Then she said stop testing because we won't give you any more test strips and there's no need to cos you're not on insulin! All this in spite of my hospital Consultant saying I'm still being monitored as a newly diagnosed person. When I asked about how can I test before driving then she said she didn't know but there was probably no need to.

Mags H

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
@Mags H , Staying between 4-7 would be amazing if you could pull it off! Being around 4 would only be a worry for me if was driving or engaged in some phyical activity where it was likely to fall further.
Yeah it's all new to be honest and that reading of 3.6 was 4 wks ago, since then after checking 4 times a day, have gone 8.something 4 times and never below 4. I think I'm experiencing the honeymoon period, I think is the term used...

Mags H

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi and thanks. If your bs is well-controlled then stick with mixed insulin until the situation changes. For info I'm aware of going hypo when I'm below around 4.5. The lowest I've been is 3.4 and sometimes I'm well aware and sometimes only mildly aware when below 4. My symptoms include hot sweat, slightly shaky and being 'spaced-out'. Yes a rapid drop makes me more aware which is useful. I seem to stick around 3.4 to 3.6 when going down which I think means my liver is dumping glucose to help bring it back up.
Yeah it's all new to be honest and I think I'm experiencing the honeymoon period, I think is the term used on here. Thanks for describing those symptoms, no didn't haven't experienced any of those, but will be more aware, because I want to understand this condition and what you said about the liver was also a eye opener...there is much for me to learn it seems!

spage

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Sounds like insulin is high or too many tablets. I also diagnosed in dec with type 2 then LADA in January. Was put on tablets atm they don’t want to do insulin yet because I’m early stages because I’m “young”. They have taken me off one of my tablets as my numbers were constantly under 5 sometimes under 4. If I ever go under 5 I need to take glucose tablets to bring it up with the usual carbs etc. Maybe chat to the diabetes again. I was told I shouldn’t be driving under 5 as it’s actually against the law and if you have a accident you won’t be covered x

Mags H

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Sounds like insulin is high or too many tablets. I also diagnosed in dec with type 2 then LADA in January. Was put on tablets atm they don’t want to do insulin yet because I’m early stages because I’m “young”. They have taken me off one of my tablets as my numbers were constantly under 5 sometimes under 4. If I ever go under 5 I need to take glucose tablets to bring it up with the usual carbs etc. Maybe chat to the diabetes again. I was told I shouldn’t be driving under 5 as it’s actually against the law and if you have a accident you won’t be covered x
They are more regulated now, few occasions they were under 4 when on metaformin tablets 1000ml twice a day and insulin but recently changed to slow release one tablet a day plus my insulin and apart from feeling a little nausea from tablet in morning, my levels have improved to above 5's minimum...long may it continue!

Mags H

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Since starting slow release readings have been above 5 for last week, hope it continues!

Mags H

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm on novomix 30, it's all new and don't have concept of Basal you speak of, presumably another insulin brand. But since post been on slow release tablets for over a week and my levels have improved to min 5, so in right direction

Mags H

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
@Mags H ,

Thank you beginning to understand this now, will try to be aware of symptoms now that I have a better grasp of how it works

Mags H

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I am told I am type 1 (on diagnosis, fit the type 1 profile), had antibody tests, GAD came back 'weak positive', C peptide 'low end of normal', started on very low doses of insulin but kept going under 4 on a regular basis so they told me to stop all the insulin as this was my 'honeymoon'. I have had no insulin for two months now but still felt the symptoms of 'hypo's' and continued to test. Readings are regularly in the low to mid 3's. Spoke to a 'diabetes' nurse at the GP's who said 'don't worry, it's not a hypo cos you're not on insulin (fair enough) and only worry if it drops into the 2's'. She ended with btw, she was not a diabetic but hers quite often dropped to 1.8 so really even if I dropped that low I would be alright. Then she said stop testing because we won't give you any more test strips and there's no need to cos you're not on insulin! All this in spite of my hospital Consultant saying I'm still being monitored as a newly diagnosed person. When I asked about how can I test before driving then she said she didn't know but there was probably no need to.
Really need to get a handle on all the terminology, at first consultant apt, was in a daze and trying to take in all that was said, especially about the new diagnose to LADA...will be better prepared to write down all that info and what it means in terms of treatment

Reactions: spage

spage

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Really need to get a handle on all the terminology, at first consultant apt, was in a daze and trying to take in all that was said, especially about the new diagnose to LADA...will be better prepared to write down all that info and what it means in terms of treatment

Haha I still don’t understand all the terminology lol j just recognise it all lol