newly diagnosed and need help...

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Glad to hear that this nurse is better. I'm staggered that you were told previously that they didn't know what to do with a sub-30 year old T2. The answer is to do a C-Peptide and GAD test to eliminate the possibility of Type 1 LADA. The 1st test checks your insulin levels and the 2nd checks for antibodies which are present if you are suffering from auto-immune destruction of the islet cells. Do try the Met SR, but I agree with others that unless you see a noticeable reduction below, say, 10'ish within a week or two then do insist on a test for LADA or MODY. Ask for a referal to the hospital diabetes clinic if necessary. Good luck with the new job.

feeyonah

Thanks. She did a test tonight and it was 12 (which is my lowest to date) but said that since I'd been ill all day, that could be why - since I've not eaten a deal today.

As a result of getting back late, I had tea late so I'm going to test myself two hours after and see where I'm at.

I feel loads better already - mentally anyway. Hopefully soon, I can spend less time in the bathroom because frankly that's wearing a bit thin now! In fact, stabby and hormonal would be a more accurate phrase.

I also have a better idea about food I can eat and how I stand on testing and then eliminating stuff that doesn't work for me.

...and all it took was a mental breakdown on the phone to the receptionist haha

angieG

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
So glad to hear you are getting sorted.....what a difference the right Health Professional can make. :thumbup:

Good luck and keep us updated on how things go.
Angie

feeyonah

thank you and thank you all for all the help and support. i think i would have left it a while and tried to ride it out (the poo storm) for longer had you not all advised i seek help sooner. Im glad i listened now.

thanks again, you have no idea how much i appreciate it

iggy-lil

Dislikes
rude people
ah bless you. I am so pleased for you to have finally found someone who actually has listened to you. Wishing you all the best :)

tealeaves

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
So glad it's been sorted. Once again scares me just how differently health professionals approach this. My GP me rang from her own home because she had been worrying I might be type 1, then called the DSN and told her to stay at work until I got to the surgery that evening, and everything was put into action straight away. So lucky really. I can't believe they didn't even make you see the diabetic nurse in the first place!

Really hope you see an improvement with the slow release stuff. Metformin stays in your system so the old stuff might still be working its way through but I reckon give it a week and you'll feel so much better. I find it best to take it a few minutes after a meal but others take it part way through - experiment. Good luck! x

thetallerpaul

All,

I had the same as Tealeaves, first GP was awful and did nothing. Second one said type 2 then called me later that day from home having called a friend in Endocrinology who said sounds like type 1. I was back into GP's surgery before it opened the next day for tests. Did have a slight blip from lost results/receptionist taking things into her own hands which put me back on Metformin though. Now diagnosed type 1 working with Endocrinology team at Addenbrookes and able hopefully to arrest the falling weight!

Good care team makes all the difference. So glad the other GP was away when I went back for my second appointment!

Paul