Newly diagnosed - head in a spin

Gleary85

Good evening,

My son who’s 9 was diagnosed yesterday type 1 x
Any advice or tips would be greatly appreciated - he’s also ASC - his diet is very beige so any tips regarding that would be great

Thank you so much

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Hi @Gleary85
No wonder you are in a spin.
Best advice I can give is work with his team and learn as much as you can.
Get to grips with carb counting and insulin adjustments because that offers the flexibility to manage his food preferences and sugars.
You’ll all be OK.

mouseee

T1s will be along with more direct advice but, speaking as a teacher who's had several t1s in my various primary classes, my advice would be try to normalise everything as much as possible.
I actively encouraged them to test where they were sitting and not to worry if they had to eat or drink. We had alarms set to go off to remind them to test mid afternoon as we forgot and all the children would (nicely) remind them when they heard it.
I'm now T2 and have explained to my class why I sometimes get my testing kit out in class.

Now, this is all too soon for that yet - plus school isn't really school at the moment! You'll have plenty time to begin to get used to it. I do know your diabetic team should be helping you create a health care plan for the school to use.

There are threads around here for parents of t1s but I dont know where to look for them!

You'll be fine, he'll be fine, life will be different but you can do it!

Gleary85

Aw thank you so much for replying !
I hope u coping ok with yours ?

Yep the team at the local children’s hospital have been amazing

Hopefully it will all just be second nature soon.
He’s amazed me how resilient he’s been considering he’s asc and loves his routine x