Have you checked your bg yet?After the episode this morning, I feel better than I did but still very detached from myself if that makes sense... a bit like I’m drunk! And I’m very aware of my heart beat. Not a nice feeling...
Hello @Bambi0410 , and welcome to the forum!
Are you on any medication for your diabetes?
As for when to test, I think it would be very helpful and informative to both yourself and your consultant if you tested right before meals and 2 hours after, to see what the meal did to your blood glucose, and perhaps upon waking and before sleeping as well.
The more information you have about how your diabetes behaves, the better they can assess what medication you need and how much.
If you log what you've eaten next to the numbers you may find out different kinds of food give you different rises in blood glucose. It's very useful to get a feeling for this, as in the future you will need to adjust your insulin to the amount of carbs in your food.
It may be you'll be starting insulin soon, it may be you'll be able to manage for months or even years without, just wait and see.
I asked for insulin within a couple of weeks after diagnosis, as it was clear my bg stayed over 10 most of the time, even with tablets and a lot less carbs than before. Hadn't I tested as often as I did to find patterns, I wouldn't have known.
And please test next time when you feel dreadful again. Without testing there is no way to know why you feel dreadful!
Good luck, and please keep asking questions!
You'll be fine, the needles for insulin are so small they're quite hard to see and you'll get used to it, believe meThanks so much! No, I’m not on any medication for the diabetes at the moment.
I will take your advice and test my bg regularly in order to gain some knowledge of why I’m feeling this way. It sounds silly but I’m scared of needles so just the finger prick is proving hard enough... I’m a complete wimp!
You'll be fine, the needles for insulin are so small they're quite hard to see and you'll get used to it, believe me
Sooo, have you managed to use the finger pricker yet to test your blood yet?
Try it on a low setting first and turn it up until you manage to get a drop of blood. Don't squeeze the tip of your finger but start at your palm massaging up to the tip of your finger, rather like milking a goat.
Many people find it doesn't hurt (or only very little) when they use the sides of their fingers and not the middle of the pad.
Good luck!
Here's a picture of an insulin needle, it's nothing at all like a regular injection
We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:
Do you accept cookies and these technologies?
We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:
Do you accept cookies and these technologies?