Newly Diagnosed - Metformin?

Chrisymac88

Hi All,

About 2 weeks ago I did a random fingerstick glucose test which was 15.6 before breakfast. I was constantly thirsty and going to the toilet so I decided to go to the doctor and get things checked. HbA1c was 88 so doctor confirmed i was diabetic but they were not sure what type (I am 32 and reasonably healthy and a normal weight). They are testing my C peptide and doing some antibody tests to confirm type 1 or type 2.

I have been on Metformin since I was diagnosed and I feel terrible. I have cut my carbs way down but not sure if it is the Metformin that is making me feel so bad. I constantly am exhausted and have little to no appetite as I feel nauseous all the time. Blood sugars are a lot better and range from 5-8 most days now but not sure if that is down to my diet or the metformin.

Is this expected? Does it get better after a few weeks? Just wondering if everyone experiences this on Meformin initially.

Bodewhin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The metformin could be behind your lack of appetite/nausea. The exhaustion is more likely to be the high blood sugar/newly lowered blood sugar or a carb "flu" from low carb.

Make sure you take your Metformin with a bit of food as that helps the side effects. If you are still taking the same dose as you started with two weeks ago, and feeling gastro based side effects, you could ask your GP for the slow release version which is gentler on the digestive tract.

Chrisymac88

Thank you! I just wanted to confirm these side effects were to be expected.

I updated my dose to 2000 mg a day about a week ago per the diabetic nurse instructions (I was initially 1000 mg). I take these with breakfast in the morning and with my evening meal.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you! I just wanted to confirm these side effects were to be expected.

I updated my dose to 2000 mg a day about a week ago per the diabetic nurse instructions (I was initially 1000 mg). I take these with breakfast in the morning and with my evening meal.
Keep in mind that if you keep up the low carbing, the metformin could well be out the door before long. Diet has a bigger impact on your wellbeing than the met would.

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello and welcome,

Metformin is a useful aid if you can tolerate the side effects but it does not have as much effect as diet. Cutting carbs is really the way to go. Initially many people, myself included have what is called 'carb flu' but you will find that it passes. The body likes the status quo and resists change. However, it will like the new status quo of lower blood sugars even more.

I hav e the slow release metformin and have had no real side effects. I am happy to use any tool to help me use diet as a way of controlling my blood sugar levels.

Good luck and welcome.