Newly diagnosed pre diabetic- tips please?

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
@smc85

Hello scm85 and welcome to the Forum :) Here is the Basic Information we give to new members and I hope you will find it useful. Ask as many questions as you want and someone will be able to help.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEWLY DIAGNOSED DIABETICS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you'll find well over 235,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.

There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:
  • Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates
Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes.

Over 145,000 people have taken part in the Low Carb Program - a 10 week structured education course that is helping people lose weight and reduce medication dependency by explaining the science behind carbs, insulin and GI.

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips

The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:
  • structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to blood glucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic.

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.
Take part in Diabetes.co.uk digital education programs and improve your understanding. Most of these are free.

• Low Carb Program - it's made front-page news of the New Scientist and The Times. Developed with 20,000 people with type 2 diabetes; 96% of people who take part recommend it... find out why

• Hypo Program - improve your understanding of hypos. There's a version for people with diabetes, parents/guardians of children with type 1, children with type 1 diabetes, teachers and HCPs.

caroline_92

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Is it ok to eat eggs everyday? Or is that me showing my terrible previous learning about too many eggs being bad for cholesterol?!
Eggs everyday are absolutely fine!! And won’t increase your cholesterol. I eat them most days...

I am one of those who has been eating low carb for nearly 7 years now and put my diabetes into remission (read my blog on this site if you are interested in my story). The way I look at it is actually being aware you are pre-diabetic is a good thing. You now know you have a serious health issue you can do something about, so with a good plan, support and determination you will be able to dramatically improve your health.

And I agree your attitude is spot on. Good luck!

smc85

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@smc85

Hello scm85 and welcome to the Forum :) Here is the Basic Information we give to new members and I hope you will find it useful. Ask as many questions as you want and someone will be able to help.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEWLY DIAGNOSED DIABETICS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you'll find well over 235,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.

There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:
  • Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates
Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes.

Over 145,000 people have taken part in the Low Carb Program - a 10 week structured education course that is helping people lose weight and reduce medication dependency by explaining the science behind carbs, insulin and GI.

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips

The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:
  • structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to blood glucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic.

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.
Take part in Diabetes.co.uk digital education programs and improve your understanding. Most of these are free.

• Low Carb Program - it's made front-page news of the New Scientist and The Times. Developed with 20,000 people with type 2 diabetes; 96% of people who take part recommend it... find out why

• Hypo Program - improve your understanding of hypos. There's a version for people with diabetes, parents/guardians of children with type 1, children with type 1 diabetes, teachers and HCPs.

Thank you, lots of really useful information here!

smc85

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Eggs everyday are absolutely fine!! And won’t increase your cholesterol. I eat them most days...

I am one of those who has been eating low carb for nearly 7 years now and put my diabetes into remission (read my blog on this site if you are interested in my story). The way I look at it is actually being aware you are pre-diabetic is a good thing. You now know you have a serious health issue you can do something about, so with a good plan, support and determination you will be able to dramatically improve your health.

And I agree your attitude is spot on. Good luck!

Thanks, I’ll definitely check out your blog

smc85

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Get on the omelettes for breakfast if you like them. Very easy and very low carb to start your day. I was asked if I supplemented with vitamins after my last lots of bloods. I don’t its just all the eggs and meat I now eat.

Dr Bernstein’s approach is a really life changer especially for pre-diabetes. I will link you to his diabetic university on YouTube. His book diabetic solution and the diabetic diet are priceless in helping get in the right path to improve your overall outcome.

Be careful not to fall into the low fat diets loaded with unnecessary carbs we are advised to eat by our diabetes teams.

Good luck and make sure you come back and ask whatever you need to no matter how small or stupid it may sound. We are all here to help and what an awesome bunch of souls we have at our fingertips here. ;)

Another question about eggs.....
Can they be fried in coconut oil? Or boiled?

Key_master_

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Another question about eggs.....
Can they be fried in coconut oil? Or boiled?
I’ve not had a fried egg in absolute years. I used to poach a lot before. Now I just have omelettes or boiled eggs. Less faff, I’d say you could in coconut oil, I believe it’s get to a higher temp quicker. Not sure how it would taste. Olive oil wasn’t very nice. Veg oil was my choice for frying eggs. I know people who use butter too.

smc85

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I’ve not had a fried egg in absolute years. I used to poach a lot before. Now I just have omelettes or boiled eggs. Less faff, I’d say you could in coconut oil, I believe it’s get to a higher temp quicker. Not sure how it would taste. Olive oil wasn’t very nice. Veg oil was my choice for frying eggs. I know people who use butter too.

You are missing out, a fried egg in coconut oil is yummy! Makes it taste a bit more creamy, almost like a duck egg

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was shocked to learn on Thursday that I am pre diabetic. My weight is at 13stone and I am 5'4. I am certainly not the healthiest person but I had NO IDEA I was that unhealthy. I allowed myself Thursday to feel angry and upset for allowing myself to get in to such bad shape. I am so thoroughly disappointed that I have put my health at such risk. I don't smoke, rarely drink so considered myself to be not too bad. How naive I was! I am scared that this could develop into full blown type 2 and I will have no one to blame but myself.

Friday came round and I was determined to start the day afresh and do something about it rather than feeling sorry for myself. I've created a low carb meal plan and dusted off my rowing machine (I've used it twice and went out for a walk today.) I know I have a journey ahead of me but this is the wake up call that I stupidly needed.

Just wondered if anyone had any tips or suggestions as to how to adjust to this diagnosis?
I wondered about your self loathing when I first read your post and then got to thinking that it is the media, et al that makes people blame themselves for what is a condition that you do NOT deserve. You may be overweight and that is not considered healthy for the general population but if that is what causes diabetes, half the world would have it. A person may be 'unhealthy' in many ways, ie smoking, no exercise, too much booze etc but simply having diabetes is not 'unhealthiness' it is a condition. Of course, stopping smoking (not you obv), exercising more, eating well, will help a person become healthier and may help you to manage your diabetes but please do not continue to blame yourself! Would a person with breast cancer blame themselves?

Key_master_

Type of diabetes
Type 1
You are missing out, a fried egg in coconut oil is yummy! Makes it taste a bit more creamy, almost like a duck egg
I will be trying. It’s sausage, bacon and eggs for tea tomorrow so will fry one up. Oh and my lovely little Scandinavian gran cracker.. bit of fibre!! Nice with butter and a tiny bit of sea salt as we don’t have salted butter. I have a sausage and egg cracker. No where near toast but we do what you have to. No spikes no more for me though. If anything it’s the dips. :)

smc85

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I wondered about your self loathing when I first read your post and then got to thinking that it is the media, et al that makes people blame themselves for what is a condition that you do NOT deserve. You may be overweight and that is not considered healthy for the general population but if that is what causes diabetes, half the world would have it. A person may be 'unhealthy' in many ways, ie smoking, no exercise, too much booze etc but simply having diabetes is not 'unhealthiness' it is a condition. Of course, stopping smoking (not you obv), exercising more, eating well, will help a person become healthier and may help you to manage your diabetes but please do not continue to blame yourself! Would a person with breast cancer blame themselves?

There’s a link between obesity and cancer too. I am certainly not suggesting that people suffering with cancer are to blame for their illness but if I were to get liver cancer or have a heart attack for instance, my lifestyle would most probably have contributed to that.
I blame myself because I have made the decisions as to what to eat. Yes the media certainly plays a part in how I’ve been educated about food but I could have looked in the mirror a long time ago and realised that what I was putting in to my body wasn’t working! (I’ve taken some photos today to compare to the moment when I HAVE lost 4 stone, because I will :) )
I’ve got over my ‘pity party’ as I like to call it because dwelling on how I felt on Thursday would not have helped me to move forward. My thoughts are to shift the weight and then see if my levels are still too high- then I can be softer on myself if they are because it’s down to my genetic make up rather than my poor lifestyle. But for now, I need a mental and physical kick up the bum to stop being lazy, make better choices and take advantage of the fact that I have a wonderful life that will be severely inhibited if I continue to poison my body.

Reactions: DJC3

cocobee.2017

Ive been eating them everyday now for over 8 months. Either an omelette or 2 boiled eggs with a bit of bacon and a cold sausage out the fridge. Sausages check the label and aim for the highest meat ones. 95% or above and the carbs are very low. Others are bulked out with no no foods like wheat flour and rusk. No negative effects on me eating eggs everyday. dr Bernstein’s been chomping then for over 30 years now everyday. No negative effects on him either except having excellent cholesterol and all the goodness from the vitamins and minerals.
@smc85 I am so scared of eggs and how they the medical profession have convinced me it is dangerous to my health if I eat too much saturated fat and eggs everyday + then when I Google it or see the opinions such as yourself saying eggs are okay, who am I meant to believe? I am prediabetic with a heart condition.

smc85

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@smc85 I am so scared of eggs and how they the medical profession have convinced me it is dangerous to my health if I eat too much saturated fat and eggs everyday + then when I Google it or see the opinions such as yourself saying eggs are okay, who am I meant to believe? I am prediabetic with a heart condition.
It was @Key_master_ who stated this in response to my thread so I’m afraid I can’t give you all the information. All I know it that from eating eggs everyday for the last week I have felt like a different person! Sticking to a rigid low carb high fat diet has given me so much more energy

Reactions: Alison Campbell

caroline_92

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The standard medical advice has many flaws and adopting an alternative as in the low carb way of eating, where you need to eat fat for energy (including eggs) is not the conventional route. So you will always get doubters and things on the Internet trotting out stock responses. So there are different view points, which you will probably have to learn to live with if you go low carb.

I would say a couple of things on this, that may help:
Half of people who have heart attacks do not have high cholesterol.
Eating fat does not make you fat or raise your bad cholesterol - it is the carbs and sugar that do the damage.
The obesity crisis really started when government advice changed to encourage people to put large amounts of carbohydrate at the heart of their diet - now over half of the UK are overweight.

I know all about heart disease as it killed my mother (through undiagnosed diabetes) so am doing all I can to avoid it myself. Been low carb and kicked my T2 into remission nearly 7 years ago, as well as losing weight and being much fitter & healthier. With pretty much an egg for breakfast every day