Newly diagnosed pre diabetic- tips please?

smc85

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I was shocked to learn on Thursday that I am pre diabetic. My weight is at 13stone and I am 5'4. I am certainly not the healthiest person but I had NO IDEA I was that unhealthy. I allowed myself Thursday to feel angry and upset for allowing myself to get in to such bad shape. I am so thoroughly disappointed that I have put my health at such risk. I don't smoke, rarely drink so considered myself to be not too bad. How naive I was! I am scared that this could develop into full blown type 2 and I will have no one to blame but myself.

Friday came round and I was determined to start the day afresh and do something about it rather than feeling sorry for myself. I've created a low carb meal plan and dusted off my rowing machine (I've used it twice and went out for a walk today.) I know I have a journey ahead of me but this is the wake up call that I stupidly needed.

Just wondered if anyone had any tips or suggestions as to how to adjust to this diagnosis?

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
I was shocked to learn on Thursday that I am pre diabetic. My weight is at 13stone and I am 5'4. I am certainly not the healthiest person but I had NO IDEA I was that unhealthy. I allowed myself Thursday to feel angry and upset for allowing myself to get in to such bad shape. I am so thoroughly disappointed that I have put my health at such risk. I don't smoke, rarely drink so considered myself to be not too bad. How naive I was! I am scared that this could develop into full blown type 2 and I will have no one to blame but myself.

Friday came round and I was determined to start the day afresh and do something about it rather than feeling sorry for myself. I've created a low carb meal plan and dusted off my rowing machine (I've used it twice and went out for a walk today.) I know I have a journey ahead of me but this is the wake up call that I stupidly needed.

Just wondered if anyone had any tips or suggestions as to how to adjust to this diagnosis?

Welcome to the forums @smc85 ,

Hopefully @daisy1 will give you the 'starter pack' to give you some useful guidance.

You seem to have the right attitude to succeed so good luck.

eggs11

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Hey @smc85 welcome to the forum. Please don't be so hard on yourself - there are many factors that can lead to impaired glucose tolerance - and certain genes come into play which is why some people can be many stones overweight and not ever get type 2. You're off to a great start by going low carb and the good news is loads of people on this forum have managed to avoid developing type 2 or reverse their diagnosis by following a low carb high fat diet. Do you know what your hbA1c is and have you managed to speak to your gp/nurse since you found out? Have they advised you on anything eg. diet/medications?

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello and welcome! Don’t beat yourself up about this. I was shocked by my diagnosis last May, I don’t smoke or drink but was overweight like you but I soon learnt from here not to blame myself. I saw it as a kick up the bum to get healthier. I’ve been on a low carb diet ever since and have got my HbA1c back to non diabetic numbers and lost over 5 stone, with help and info from here. You’ve made a good start, keep at it and just being prediabetic you should sort your numbers out quickly.

smc85

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hey @smc85 welcome to the forum. Please don't be so hard on yourself - there are many factors that can lead to impaired glucose tolerance - and certain genes come into play which is why some people can be many stones overweight and not ever get type 2. You're off to a great start by going low carb and the good news is loads of people on this forum have managed to avoid developing type 2 or reverse their diagnosis by following a low carb high fat diet. Do you know what your hbA1c is and have you managed to speak to your gp/nurse since you found out? Have they advised you on anything eg. diet/medications?

I was told my level was 43 which I now know is borderline. I also have a low B12 count so have been advised to eat more eggs, meat, fish and milk.

I was advised to get exercising more than anything else. I have quite a sedentary lifestyle at present so I’ve been told to up that and then they will test my B12 and the hbA1c level again in 3 months (I originally went to the doctors because I am tired all the time)

Reactions: eggs11

smc85

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello and welcome! Don’t beat yourself up about this. I was shocked by my diagnosis last May, I don’t smoke or drink but was overweight like you but I soon learnt from here not to blame myself. I saw it as a kick up the bum to get healthier. I’ve been on a low carb diet ever since and have got my HbA1c back to non diabetic numbers and lost over 5 stone, with help and info from here. You’ve made a good start, keep at it and just being prediabetic you should sort your numbers out quickly.

Thanks it’s good to know I’m not the only one that feels this way

eggs11

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was told my level was 43 which I now know is borderline. I also have a low B12 count so have been advised to eat more eggs, meat, fish and milk.

I was advised to get exercising more than anything else. I have quite a sedentary lifestyle at present so I’ve been told to up that and then they will test my B12 and the hbA1c level again in 3 months (I originally went to the doctors because I am tired all the time)
Yes, that's only just within prediabetes range so with the changes you're making you should have a good chance of improving on that relatively quickly. My first hbA1c was 72 - a real shock - but I've already been able to improve upon that. Are you testing your blood sugars? Lots of us do this, often by buying our meters and test strips ourselves, as they're not usually prescribed, and this way we can work out which foods spike our blood sugars and which don't, then adjust our diets accordingly. All this sort of info is provided in the starter pack that daisy1 will give you.

smc85

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, that's only just within prediabetes range so with the changes you're making you should have a good chance of improving on that relatively quickly. My first hbA1c was 72 - a real shock - but I've already been able to improve upon that. Are you testing your blood sugars? Lots of us do this, often by buying our meters and test strips ourselves, as they're not usually prescribed, and this way we can work out which foods spike our blood sugars and which don't, then adjust our diets accordingly. All this sort of info is provided in the starter pack that daisy1 will give you.

My GP didn't mention anything about testing blood sugars at all. I'm a little concerned about having too much to think about if that makes sense- just simply working out a diet plan was enough! I'm certainly willing to give it a go though if it could improve my situation.

eggs11

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My GP didn't mention anything about testing blood sugars at all. I'm a little concerned about having too much to think about if that makes sense- just simply working out a diet plan was enough! I'm certainly willing to give it a go though if it could improve my situation.
Ah sorry for muddying the waters - it's just an option that some decide to do and some don't. Good luck with the diet and exercise plan - sounds like you're really on the case!

smc85

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Ah sorry for muddying the waters - it's just an option that some decide to do and some don't. Good luck with the diet and exercise plan - sounds like you're really on the case!

I really appreciate the advice thank you. I might see how I get on with the diet and exercise part and then add that in if my levels don’t come down at my next test

cocobee.2017

Hey its not your fault you & I were born with this intolerance to carbs! Well that's what I call it anyway. Some are gluten intolerant & I am glucose intolerant. Some people are lucky can pig out on carbs everyday all their lives & never end up with prediabetes. I am prediabetic too + it is a shock at 1st. You're going to be okay. Take a deep breath, be kind to yourself, then write down a plan x

smc85

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hey its not your fault you & I were born with this intolerance to carbs! Well that's what I call it anyway. Some are gluten intolerant & I am glucose intolerant. Some people are lucky can pig out on carbs everyday all their lives & never end up with prediabetes. I am prediabetic too + it is a shock at 1st. You're going to be okay. Take a deep breath, be kind to yourself, then write down a plan x

Thank you :)

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It's part genetics, part what we've been tought (Eatwell plate, all fats are evil, trust carbs)... Getting a (low-carb) diet worked out with some activities like walking and rowing will certainly make you feel better and stave off T2 just fine. And everything you need to eat for the vitamin issues is basically low-carb, so yay! (Supplements are cheap tho', should the numbers not go up sufficiently). You're off to a good start. Good on you!

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather

Magic, well done for changing your mind set and making the change. It'll take time but this forum is invaluable

Key_master_

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Get on the omelettes for breakfast if you like them. Very easy and very low carb to start your day. I was asked if I supplemented with vitamins after my last lots of bloods. I don’t its just all the eggs and meat I now eat.

Dr Bernstein’s approach is a really life changer especially for pre-diabetes. I will link you to his diabetic university on YouTube. His book diabetic solution and the diabetic diet are priceless in helping get in the right path to improve your overall outcome.

Be careful not to fall into the low fat diets loaded with unnecessary carbs we are advised to eat by our diabetes teams.

Good luck and make sure you come back and ask whatever you need to no matter how small or stupid it may sound. We are all here to help and what an awesome bunch of souls we have at our fingertips here. ;)

smc85

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Get on the omelettes for breakfast if you like them. Very easy and very low carb to start your day. I was asked if I supplemented with vitamins after my last lots of bloods. I don’t its just all the eggs and meat I now eat.

Dr Bernstein’s approach is a really life changer especially for pre-diabetes. I will link you to his diabetic university on YouTube. His book diabetic solution and the diabetic diet are priceless in helping get in the right path to improve your overall outcome.

Be careful not to fall into the low fat diets loaded with unnecessary carbs we are advised to eat by our diabetes teams.

Good luck and make sure you come back and ask whatever you need to no matter how small or stupid it may sound. We are all here to help and what an awesome bunch of souls we have at our fingertips here. ;)

Is it ok to eat eggs everyday? Or is that me showing my terrible previous learning about too many eggs being bad for cholesterol?!

smc85

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It's part genetics, part what we've been tought (Eatwell plate, all fats are evil, trust carbs)... Getting a (low-carb) diet worked out with some activities like walking and rowing will certainly make you feel better and stave off T2 just fine. And everything you need to eat for the vitamin issues is basically low-carb, so yay! (Supplements are cheap tho', should the numbers not go up sufficiently). You're off to a good start. Good on you!

Thank you :)

smc85

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Magic, well done for changing your mind set and making the change. It'll take time but this forum is invaluable

I’m lucky to be quite a positive person anyway but I know I have a journey ahead of me- bring it on!

Key_master_

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Is it ok to eat eggs everyday? Or is that me showing my terrible previous learning about too many eggs being bad for cholesterol?!
Ive been eating them everyday now for over 8 months. Either an omelette or 2 boiled eggs with a bit of bacon and a cold sausage out the fridge. Sausages check the label and aim for the highest meat ones. 95% or above and the carbs are very low. Others are bulked out with no no foods like wheat flour and rusk. No negative effects on me eating eggs everyday. dr Bernstein’s been chomping then for over 30 years now everyday. No negative effects on him either except having excellent cholesterol and all the goodness from the vitamins and minerals.