Newly diagnosed T2 and anxious

ChrisB68

Dear all
Firstly, hi, I'm new here after being diagnosed with T2D today.
I wasn't overly surprised by the diagnosis, having been borderline for a few years and having family history of Diabetes (I'm now the 3rd generation to have it).
Even so, it's causing anxiety and is already affecting my long term mental health problems.
I know it's going to take time to get used to it and make the necessary changes to diet and lifestyle.
What worries me most, is my mental health, which is poor at the best of times.
Any words of encouragement, comfort or guidance would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Chris

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
If you are a plain ordinary type two then eating low carb is a very good way to get control of your blood glucose levels, and I think it helps with a more robust mental outlook.
Having had my GPs insist that I eat a high carb low fat diet because they think it is healthy, I certainly struggled to cope until I could escape from their notice and go back to low carb eating.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @ChrisB68 and welcome!

Very sorry to hear that your diagnosis is impacting on your mental health. Without knowing anything about your personal situation, what I would say is that for me personally, radically changing my diet and lifestyle has had a transformative effect not just physically and medically, but also in terms of my mental health and emotional well-being. I honestly do believe that the diagnosis was a blessing in disguise.

Easy to say a few years down the line, but hopefully it can be a glimmer of light for you.

My advice would be to look at reducing carbs to control the diabetes and focus on real, fresh foods as far as possible. You might be surprised at the changes in energy and mood that come with that. This website is a good starting point, but do ask questions here.

And if you’re up for it, some regular, gentle exercise (walking or similar) can also help with your mood.

Good luck and please keep checking in - we’re a friendly bunch.

Reactions: Rach612

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dear all
Firstly, hi, I'm new here after being diagnosed with T2D today.
I wasn't overly surprised by the diagnosis, having been borderline for a few years and having family history of Diabetes (I'm now the 3rd generation to have it).
Even so, it's causing anxiety and is already affecting my long term mental health problems.
I know it's going to take time to get used to it and make the necessary changes to diet and lifestyle.
What worries me most, is my mental health, which is poor at the best of times.
Any words of encouragement, comfort or guidance would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Chris
I found that my anxiety reduced once my blood sugar levels improved. Welcome to the forum.
There is a wealth of beginner information in this link: https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/basic-information-for-newly-diagnosed-diabetics.26870/