Newly diagnosed T2

VanessaW

Hello All, this is my first post and hope I am posting correctly!

I am feeling very anxious, I have been diagnosed as a T2 nearly three weeks ago and I am 6 days starting on low dose on metformin tablets which will build up each week to 4 tablets a day. The diabetic nurse thinks that I may have been diabetic unknowingly for a couple of years as my HBA1C was 120 which went down to 117 (they tested me again as levels were so high and did a full blood count & B12, this would certainly tie up with some other issues which have been ongoing for a couple years.

Reading some of the blogs I will ask for antibody tests and can’t remember the name of the other one.

Has anyone had a level that high, just trying to get some reassurance really as it is getting me down

Thanking you in advance
Vanessa

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello All, this is my first post and hope I am posting correctly!
I am feeling very anxious, I have been diagnosed as a T2 nearly three weeks ago and I am 6 days starting on low dose on metformin tablets which will build up each week to 4 tablets a day. The diabetic nurse thinks that I may have been diabetic unknowingly for a couple of years as my HBA1C was 120 which went down to 117 (they tested me again as levels were so high and did a full blood count & B12, this would certainly tie up with some other issues which have been ongoing for a couple years.
Reading some of the blogs I will ask for antibody tests and can’t remember the name of the other one.
Has anyone had a level that high, just trying to get some reassurance really as it is getting me down
Thanking you in advance
Vanessa

Hello and welcome.
My Hba1c was 91 at diagnosis, so fairly high - but as it turns out I am a very ordinary type 2 and a few weeks of low carb eating and I was no longer in the diabetic range.
Depending on your age and how the surgery deals with diabetics, you might find that they are not open to the idea of doing further tests.
My way of dealing with the high glucose levels was to buy a cheap to use meter (I chose Spirit Healthcares Tee 2+ but there are others) and to test after eating to see if I needed to lower my carbohydrate intake any further than I had done after diagnosis. As it turned out I didn't, I got to a Hba1c of 41 - and I feel very well again. I used to do Atkins and so I knew that I have never been able to deal with carbohydrates.
Hopefully you will soon see similarly low numbers.
I had a very bad reaction to Metformin, so I stopped taking it after about 5 weeks - but I don't seem to need it.

Reactions: VanessaW

VanessaW

Hello and welcome.
My Hba1c was 91 at diagnosis, so fairly high - but as it turns out I am a very ordinary type 2 and a few weeks of low carb eating and I was no longer in the diabetic range.
Depending on your age and how the surgery deals with diabetics, you might find that they are not open to the idea of doing further tests.
My way of dealing with the high glucose levels was to buy a cheap to use meter (I chose Spirit Healthcares Tee 2+ but there are others) and to test after eating to see if I needed to lower my carbohydrate intake any further than I had done after diagnosis. As it turned out I didn't, I got to a Hba1c of 41 - and I feel very well again. I used to do Atkins and so I knew that I have never been able to deal with carbohydrates.
I had a very bad reaction to Metformin, so I stopped taking it after about 5 weeks - but I don't seem to need it.
Thank you
Hello and welcome.
Thank you, hopefully it will come down