Type 2 Newly diagnosed T2.

Lillytan

Hi, I’m confused! I was recently diagnosed with T2 diabetes and so far I’ve not had much in the way of help.
I bought myself a blood tester which arrived yesterday. My blood was 7.0 after fasting for 10 hrs. It went down to 6.8 after a cup of tea with milk and then after a sandwich up to 9.6. I had a carbless veggie dinner and some yogurt with berries after. At 10pm last night my blood sugar was 5.7 and I was thrilled.
This morning after a 12hr fast I tested my blood and it’s 8.1 !!??
I truly don’t understand this at all! Can any one advise or explain?

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
forum bugs
I truly don’t understand this at all! Can any one advise or explain?

Fasting morning readings can be affected by the dawn phenomena, where your liver decides to helpfully pump out sugar so that you're ready to be active for the day (chase down some mammoths or whatever :)).

As a T1 diabetic who produces no insulin at all, I have to inject a couple of units even if I don't eat at all. Lots of T2s report that their morning reading is the highest of the day and it takes ages for that particular reading to come down.

So, I feel your frustration but unfortunately I'm not surprised by your numbers. It should get better, but it's likely that your morning reading will remain higher than you'd like for a while.

But congratulations on the 5.7, that is an excellent result.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Lillytan
Although food has a big influence on bg, it's not the only thing that can affect it. There's also:
Stres
Sleep, or lack of it
Exercise, intensity and duration, or lack of it
Other medications
Illnesses
Heat or cold (weather)
And there's probably more.
Just stick at it and you will start to see patterns, but it will take a few weeks for your body to get used to a new way of eating and being.
Controlling diabetes is for life, its a marathon not a sprint

Lillytan

Thank you both for your replies. It’s been a bad day numberwise and I’ve ended tonight on a 9.1. It’s all a learning curve right now I guess.. happy new year to you.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Don't give up @Lillytan, it does take a lot of time and a lot of learning. I'm 22 months in, soemdays I think I've got it sussed, other days my bg just hasn't read the same info, but the underlying trend is forward
This is a great forum for advice and support, just don't give up and don't beat yourself up...
And if you can cope with my typos due to poor eyesight you can cope with anything!:)