Newly diagnosed T2

Jessica120714

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi!
I was diagnosed just yesterday after my GP read my blood results wrong two months ago and forgot to tell me that I am indeed diabetic!

I have been put on Metformin 500mg twice daily.

I'm cutting out sugar wherever possible and I've been doing a bit of reading around the LCHF diet, I'm just wondering if anyone has any tips or meal recommendations? Would like to lose weight if possible!

Cannot see diabetes nurse until the new year but I've bought myself a monitor as I want to take control over this

Any advise more than welcome,

Thanks xx

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hi @Jessica120714 and welcome to the forum! It takes a bit of time to get your head around that diagnosis, but you will get a lot of good advice and support on here.
It is difficult at first to work out what you can eat, but if you are going to follow the LCHF type diet, you could have a look at the 'What have you eaten today' thread for some ideas.

Clivethedrive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Jogging
Hi jessica120714, welcome to the forum,its never a good time of year to be told we have diabetes,but the good news is,we can control it and even reverse the damage it can do to us, i myself was 26.8 mmols when i visited my doc' feeling thirsty and up half the night visiting the loo. But by applying the things i learn't on this forum, lchf regime and exercising regularly i have dropped my bs's down to an average now of 4.6 mmols and my weight from 17 st 8 lbs to todays 12st 4 lbs, my doc said well whatever it is your doing keep at it , so fear not, you have come to the right place for help and good friends, i'll ask @daisy1 for the welcome info for you,clive

Jessica120714

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks, I'm interested in this LCHF diet, and I love cooking which helps! It's just hard to get around seeing fats as a positive rather than always negative.
This time of year definitely doesn't help but I have a very supportive partner who is trying to help as much as she can.

Reactions: 4 people

Clivethedrive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Jogging
Hi jessica120714 the interesting thing about " natural fats like beef,lamb,etc and olive oil ,organic butter, is that the molecules of these oils and fats do not penetrate into our veins and arteries as do the man made fats like margarine and spreads and hydrogenated oils and fats,these have been identified as smaller denser particles which are doing us damage, whereas the " natural fats molecules are larger and fluffier" hope this helps a bit clive

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi and welcome to the forum. It can take time to get your head around everything but you are definately in the right place to get yourself on track. I will tag @daisy1 to post you some great information to read.