Newly diagnosed (T2D) and have to wait a long time to see a nurse. Anyone else had this and tips I'm not doing already?

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Mo R, you sound very similar to me. It’s not that hard really.

Just test before a meal then 2h later. Try and keep below about 7.3 and no more than a 2.0 mM rise after the meal.
I’ve found I can tolerate basmati rice and moderate beer consumption (yay). But potatoes, peas, bread and even wholemeal pasta are out. I’m no longer diarising my meals as I’ve got a decent handle on what is good/bad now.
Still testing though - my 2 week bg average is now 5.9. I’ve lost loads of weight in the last month too. Down from about 123 kg to 112.7 kg today (about 2 stone in old money).
Feeling waaaaay healthier too.

Good luck to you. Really this was a blessing to be honest. No way I’m returning to old ways and high carb food poses no temptation as I can see the damage it does on my meter.
Whilst I appreciate that not everyone can eat pasta I find that cooking the pasta, swilling it under the cold tap for a good 5 minutes and reheating doesn’t affect my BS too much.

WaveyDavey123

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Whilst I appreciate that not everyone can eat pasta I find that cooking the pasta, swilling it under the cold tap for a good 5 minutes and reheating doesn’t affect my BS too much.

Interesting- might give that a try though we’ve just a load of konju noodles - have read they’re a good alternative.

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Interesting- might give that a try though we’ve just a load of konju noodles - have read they’re a good alternative.
It’s worth a try. As an alternative I have courgetti or thinly sliced courgettes to make a lasagne. I didn’t like the konju noodles or rice!

WaveyDavey123

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Okay... been a while. Just had my 3 month follow up HbA1c result...... 36!!!! :cool::cool::cool:

125 kg (ish, not really sure where to start with the drop - I was about this in March... 123.5 kg in June when 'diagnosed') to begin....

I am now about 102 kg in weight (Around 16 st 2 lb in old money). Will be interesting to see if I can drop further as this is as low a weight as I've been since I was about 21 years old. I think so though as there's still plenty of flab to lose though much much less than before. I've dropped from a 40 inch waist to... well I bought two pairs of 36 inch waist trousers yesterday and they fit comfortably.

High fat low carb diet is a winner! I shall be still monitoring and still doing it for the foreseeable..... Just going to be monitored for HbA1c by the docs annually now.

I am still manifestly insulin resistant - my meter still can show some massive rises above safe levels occasionally when I'm not careful.
(well in my opinion anyway)

Oh and yeah..... courgetti spaghetti was the way to go. Konju noodles.... meh.

All good though! What a ride this has been.

Paul_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Okay... been a while. Just had my 3 month follow up HbA1c result...... 36!!!! :cool::cool::cool:
Well done, great results there!

As for the konjac products, tried them recently, they can get in the bin! Still, at least I've finally found something more offensive than avocados!

Having tried many options now, my substitutes are:

Rice - Cauliflower rice, actually really rather good in my opinion...and I didn't like cauliflower before this!

Pasta - https://lowcarbfood.co/shop-category/pasta (still only just passable, often out of stock, but it's basically Michelin star quality compared to konjac and causes a negligable BG rise for me personally. For me, it's a more of a bulking fibre source for a nice pasta sauce/meat, than "pasta".)

Noodles - Courgetti, but it's not a firm favourite, I must confess.

Reactions: LadyLovely

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

125 kg (ish, not really sure where to start with the drop - I was about this in March... 123.5 kg in June when 'diagnosed') to begin....

I am now about 102 kg in weight (Around 16 st 2 lb in old money). Will be interesting to see if I can drop further as this is as low a weight as I've been since I was about 21 years old. I think so though as there's still plenty of flab to lose though much much less than before. I've dropped from a 40 inch waist to... well I bought two pairs of 36 inch waist trousers yesterday and they fit comfortably.

High fat low carb diet is a winner! I shall be still monitoring and still doing it for the foreseeable..... Just going to be monitored for HbA1c by the docs annually now.

I am still manifestly insulin resistant - my meter still can show some massive rises above safe levels occasionally when I'm not careful.
(well in my opinion anyway)

Oh and yeah..... courgetti spaghetti was the way to go. Konju noodles.... meh.

All good though! What a ride this has been.
Very well done!

WaveyDavey123

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks all.

I’ve never quit rice, though a much smaller portion is certainly the thing. They’re my dodgiest meals glucose-rise-wise these days though.

Incidentally in my first week of this I lost 10 lb in weight almost overnight which I initially put down to a glycogen dump from my liver. Well - back in early September I went to a family birthday barbecue and… managed the opposite though I thought I’d been sensible with the food at least (not so much the drinks). Next few days it came back off along with some high morning readings. Yeah, definitely believe that one now.

Reactions: Paul_

Paul_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks all.

I’ve never quit rice, though a much smaller portion is certainly the thing. They’re my dodgiest meals glucose-rise-wise these days though.

Incidentally in my first week of this I lost 10 lb in weight almost overnight which I initially put down to a glycogen dump from my liver. Well - back in early September I went to a family birthday barbecue and… managed the opposite though I thought I’d been sensible with the food at least (not so much the drinks). Next few days it came back off along with some high morning readings. Yeah, definitely believe that one now.
Yeah, rice is like dynamite for my BG readings unfortunately, one of the highest impact solid foods for me. I was/am a big fan of rice, many of my meals used to be based around it. I've tried experimenting with portion sizes, but the acceptable portion for me is so small it actually just triggers cravings. Begrudgingly, I've had to consign it to the "once in a while treat" section of foods, and I settle for cauliflower rice the rest of the time.

I lost 10-12lb very quickly too when starting low carb through water weight loss. While experimenting with carb intake levels, it was interesting to see my smart scale water weight vary in-line with carb increases/reductions too.

Reactions: WaveyDavey123

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done, great results there!

As for the konjac products, tried them recently, they can get in the bin! Still, at least I've finally found something more offensive than avocados!

Having tried many options now, my substitutes are:

Rice - Cauliflower rice, actually really rather good in my opinion...and I didn't like cauliflower before this!

Pasta - https://lowcarbfood.co/shop-category/pasta (still only just passable, often out of stock, but it's basically Michelin star quality compared to konjac and causes a negligable BG rise for me personally. For me, it's a more of a bulking fibre source for a nice pasta sauce/meat, than "pasta".)

Noodles - Courgetti, but it's not a firm favourite, I must confess.
I’m not a fan of Avocado either!

• Friendly
Reactions: Paul_

WaveyDavey123

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for all your lovely positive reactions folks. As of last few days I'm now below 16 stone (actually 15 st 8 lb at the last count!). So the lightest I've been since I was about 26-27 years old at least! I have a feeling I might now have dropped 6 inches off my waist. Bought some 36" waist jeans not long ago and now even them are starting to feel like they're falling down when I relax. Wowser. Onwards and still downwards!

WaveyDavey123

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It can become very addictive watching the weight fall off, i got down to the same weight i was when i left school 45 years ago.
Now there's an aspiration. Excellent work. Yes it's definitely addictive, in a good way. I would have to drop to about 13 stone for that. Long way to go still. Not sure my wife will like that, she likes the big burly blokes like I am/was, might have to get down the gym and bulk back up lol

ajbod

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm at the same weight, but my shape is quite a bit different, everybody used to keep telling me i should do body building. I played adult rugby at 13, no juniors back then. Second row in school team, winger or flanker for town team. Got knocked out in my last match, grudge derby match, couldn't remember what position i was playing, so followed the ball around until there was a scrum, then knew i was flanker. 4 of us went to hospital from that game. I had a stunned left eye, nothing but white, made tackling incredibly difficult. No bruising the elbow went directly on my eyeball. Hence i decided this is not fun anymore, so retired at 17. retired from cricket very early too, very tricky medium/fast bowler, think of Mike Hendrick, genuine number 11 batsman, as local team very Cliquey, my brothers face fit, but mine didn't. I played one game where the only 2 players not to bowl, were myself and the wicket keeper. That decided it for me.

Reactions: WaveyDavey123