Newly diagnosed (T2D) and have to wait a long time to see a nurse. Anyone else had this and tips I'm not doing already?

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So... might as well convert this thread into a bit of a reflective blog now as I'm a bit more used to things (I hope that's within the rules moderators?). Thanks all for the comments previously I learned a lot last week and I'm much more comfortable with all this now.

In the last week I cut my carbohydrate intake dramatically. I basically no longer eat high carb food such as potatoes*, pasta, bread, sweet things and any processed food I detect even *might* have it in. However I've not starved myself, I've tried to raise good fat consumption so breakfasts are now natural yogurt based or bacon/high quality sausage/poached egg. Lunch is typically (I vary it), tuna fish with mixed salad, with mayonnaise and a low carb dressing. Perhaps one piece of fruit. In the evening, it's better too. My wife got annoyed about it all at first but then went and did her own reading on it and has come around significantly. She got a warning herself on this last year and got all in denial about it, but now she's come around to the fact that it will likely benefit her too. So she's still eating potatoes as she loves them too much but we're eating much lower carb dinners.

My weight has plummeted already. Perhaps a bit too fast. Last Tuesday I was 123.5 kg. Last night I was 118.4 kg. In old money that's 10 lb in a week. It's not like this has happened by starvation though. I'm reasonably confident this is just a fast initial drop which will level out at some point. I've definitely lost some waistline and my shirts are already feeling ... loose. Excellent. I'm eating nutritious food - I've done a so-called 'detox' day or anything like that. I just stopped eating rubbish and cut down on my portions.
So :cool::cool::cool:

My blood glucose levels have dropped steadily all week to the point that before evening food yesterday I got a reading of 4.9 mM. It had been below 7.0 for 3 days running at that point for ALL readings.

Lessons still to be learned....

Even though I said to my wife at one point 'this means I've got my blood sugar level under control, that's all that means, it doesn't mean I'm not diabetic'... I started to unconsciously think... maybe I can get a little naughty occasionally.
Last night my wife planned dinner as a fish cake and salad. But I said, no, I had salad at lunchtime, I don't want to get 'saladed' out. Let's make it a moderately portion of potatoes and peas tonight (not just any potatoes, home cooked chips). I'll monitor and if it's bad... well we will know not do to that again...

So I monitored... that 4.9 mM turned to 8.3 mM 2 hours later. This morning my fasted reading was 6.9 mM.... yeah, potatoes and peas... they're bad mmkay.

Like I had said two days ago, successful 4.0-7.0 mM reading range maintenance does not mean I am glucose tolerant. It meant I *had* been eating appropriately. Farewell peas, farewell potatoes. (pretty sure it was the peas really - the * above somewhere indicates that potatoes have not entirely been cut out, I have had small quantities and fared OK, but still).
But that - really not entirely outrageous dinner last night does tell me I need to be ... careful... at least for the medium term future. I will maybe try that experiment again in a months time... we'll see.

Extremely pleased at the progress I've made in the last week nevertheless.
You're doing an excellent job. I saw a whole lot of things coming by in your thread and I'll try to touch on a couple, though many others have too by now. The thing people aren't too thrilled about is skimmed and semi-skimmed milk, they're a tad carbier than the full fat kind. Cream, yoghurt and cheeses, all full fat, would have fewer to no carbs in. There's the light versions, but usually when they take fats out to make it light, they put carbs in to make it taste like something, and more filling, so light products are usually to be avoided, with very few exceptions to the rule. Far as meats are concerned, sausages and the like can indeed be loaded with fillers, but the good quality stuff isn't. High meat content's perfectly fine. Should be on the label.

Something to do, maybe: make a list of what you'd usually buy, check their nutritional information on the supermarket's website and see if there's alternatives that have a lower carb content, or whether it's already fine as-is. It spares a few hours spent reading labels in the shop, and coming home with a head of lettuce and nothing more, out of sheer discombobulation.

For just about everything there's a low carb version... I mean, ever heard of Oppo ice cream? Just saying.

Also, long distance walking might be a better bet than cycling... Strenuous things can cause the liver to "help" by dumping glucose, so it can actually up blood sugars for a bit. Walking -NOT running!- at a steady pace for a while'll keep your liver from dumping, but it can get your blood sugars down in case of, say, a stray potato finding its way to you. After dinner walks for digestion purposes, eh. ;) I've actually interrupted a little dinner with my inlaws once because I didn't at that time know that chinese tomato soup is liquid sugar. So I walked it off when my head went all fuzzy on the hyper. Couple of quick walks around the mall the restaurant was next to, and I was good to go. :)

You're rocking this thing, just so you know.
Jo

WaveyDavey123

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
You're doing an excellent job. I saw a whole lot of things coming by in your thread and I'll try to touch on a couple, though many others have too by now. The thing people aren't too thrilled about is skimmed and semi-skimmed milk, they're a tad carbier than the full fat kind. Cream, yoghurt and cheeses, all full fat, would have fewer to no carbs in. There's the light versions, but usually when they take fats out to make it light, they put carbs in to make it taste like something, and more filling, so light products are usually to be avoided, with very few exceptions to the rule. Far as meats are concerned, sausages and the like can indeed be loaded with fillers, but the good quality stuff isn't. High meat content's perfectly fine. Should be on the label.

Something to do, maybe: make a list of what you'd usually buy, check their nutritional information on the supermarket's website and see if there's alternatives that have a lower carb content, or whether it's already fine as-is. It spares a few hours spent reading labels in the shop, and coming home with a head of lettuce and nothing more, out of sheer discombobulation.

For just about everything there's a low carb version... I mean, ever heard of Oppo ice cream? Just saying.

Also, long distance walking might be a better bet than cycling... Strenuous things can cause the liver to "help" by dumping glucose, so it can actually up blood sugars for a bit. Walking -NOT running!- at a steady pace for a while'll keep your liver from dumping, but it can get your blood sugars down in case of, say, a stray potato finding its way to you. After dinner walks for digestion purposes, eh. ;) I've actually interrupted a little dinner with my inlaws once because I didn't at that time know that chinese tomato soup is liquid sugar. So I walked it off when my head went all fuzzy on the hyper. Couple of quick walks around the mall the restaurant was next to, and I was good to go. :)

You're rocking this thing, just so you know.
Jo
Thanks Jo, excellent points and thanks for reading. Yes I'm checking labels, but it hadn't occurred to me to do it in advance. Nice. We had a buffet lunch for some guests at work yesterday and to my irritation I couldn't eat any of it. Despite our Uni being seemingly all vegan these days* it was all sandwiches, orange juice and bhaji type things which I hadn't expected. There might at least have been some chicken skewers (even fake ones) or something... After disappearing to eat my salad, I came back and noticed... perhaps... that gluten free might be a thing to look out for?
All the non-sandwich things had a label saying they had gluten... to me that means wheat. However there were some vegan chorizo sausages that were gluten free, so I did pop a couple of those down.

*(the vice-chancellor is, so everyone else has to be too apparently)

Oooh, low carb ice-cream. My wife, to my chagrin, bought a packet of Cornettos on Saturday and seems a little miffed that I am refusing them (she's not all there yet lmao). Will check it out. I don't do ice cream very often at all anyway, but it *is* nice during a hot summer like this.

Interesting comment regarding the walking. That's not -as I've said - why I'm doing it .... but I am for this too now :-D
Walking is always better exercise than cycling (except for impact damage on your legs and spine of course) anyway. You have to cycle at least 200 miles really to be 'equivalent' to a marathon really - though there is no real equivalence there as they're so different.

One of the first things I did was buy some skimmed milk (and it was depressing). I did then spot that actually it's worse than full fat indeed. What a nice relief. Though I'm not doing much other than splash it in tea and coffee.

I have this afternoon now seen my bg drop back down to 5-ish mM readings. A day to get back there after eating some peas and potatoes. That really is quite illuminating.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@WaveyDavey123 Try swede rather than potato - I cook one, sliced up in my pressure cooker, in more water than it needs, as that reduces the flavour. I have some with dinner, mashed with butter or cream, then next morning mash the rest, mix in egg and cheese or leftover veges, either fry or bake the result and then either add more cheese or bacon - it is sort of bubble and squeak, but with bacon it is bubble and squeal. It really makes me sorry for those still struggling to follow the 'healthy' guidelines.

Reactions: WaveyDavey123

ajbod

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Don't worry about the initial rapid weight loss, the first 10 - 12 lbs is excess water, due to carb consumption. Eating very low carb the body doesn't need it, so jettisons it.

WaveyDavey123

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Don't worry about the initial rapid weight loss, the first 10 - 12 lbs is excess water, due to carb consumption. Eating very low carb the body doesn't need it, so jettisons it.
Yeah, thought it might be something like that. Thanks for the confirmation.

WaveyDavey123

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@WaveyDavey123 Try swede rather than potato - I cook one, sliced up in my pressure cooker, in more water than it needs, as that reduces the flavour. I have some with dinner, mashed with butter or cream, then next morning mash the rest, mix in egg and cheese or leftover veges, either fry or bake the result and then either add more cheese or bacon - it is sort of bubble and squeak, but with bacon it is bubble and squeal. It really makes me sorry for those still struggling to follow the 'healthy' guidelines.
Inspirational. Nice! Neeps... I love neeps. One is of Scottish origin don't you know. Not sure about reducing the flavour of something I like is the only caveat. ;)

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Inspirational. Nice! Neeps... I love neeps. One is of Scottish origin don't you know. Not sure about reducing the flavour of something I like is the only caveat. ;)
Perhaps my sense of taste it the problem - I just find that the flavour is a bit too much.
I did used to work for Allied Lyons doing storage testing, so it was my job to detect any off flavours developing.
One set of my ancestors was the victim of Highland clearances and in another life I make kilts and am a moderator on the X marks the Scot forum.

MattInUSA

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Last night my wife planned dinner as a fish cake and salad. But I said, no, I had salad at lunchtime, I don't want to get 'saladed' out. Let's make it a moderately portion of potatoes and peas tonight (not just any potatoes, home cooked chips). I'll monitor and if it's bad... well we will know not do to that again...
For what it's worth, when you go low carb for a little while, your body physiologically becomes insulin resistant. That's not a bad thing, your body is sparing the glucose for where it's needed by blocking it elsewhere, but it also means (in my experience) that a higher carb meal will cause an even higher glucose spike than normal. Definitely not a good idea to cheat that way too often, but going for a walk afterward can help.

WaveyDavey123

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Well another update.

Finally saw the nurse today. It went really really well. She was very pleased to hear that I'd researched and changed my lifestyle in a positive way already, that I was monitoring my bg levels etc. Told me she wouldn't have put me on metformin with my HbA1c results anyway, would have tried diet only first in any case. I'm still referred for an eye test anyway as apparently they like to see anyone who's had A1c as high as mine. But I'm spared an official T2 diagnosis for now. Prediabetic only currently and the mission is to reverse even that. Another blood test booked for 3 months time.

I've gone from 19 st 6 lb in March to 18 st 2 lb currenly (124 kg to 115 kg) - I was already losing weight but this has accelerated a lot. I have no intention of returning to old routines. The bg meter is your friend (even if my fingers sometimes don't agree).

Excellenty!

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Well another update.

Finally saw the nurse today. It went really really well. She was very pleased to hear that I'd researched and changed my lifestyle in a positive way already, that I was monitoring my bg levels etc. Told me she wouldn't have put me on metformin with my HbA1c results anyway, would have tried diet only first in any case. I'm still referred for an eye test anyway as apparently they like to see anyone who's had A1c as high as mine. But I'm spared an official T2 diagnosis for now. Prediabetic only currently and the mission is to reverse even that. Another blood test booked for 3 months time.

I've gone from 19 st 6 lb in March to 18 st 2 lb currenly (124 kg to 115 kg) - I was already losing weight but this has accelerated a lot. I have no intention of returning to old routines. The bg meter is your friend (even if my fingers sometimes don't agree).

Excellenty!
Well done, seems liek your doing well. What sort of typical values you seeing nowadays on fast and after meals etc?

WaveyDavey123

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done, seems liek your doing well. What sort of typical values you seeing nowadays on fast and after meals etc?
Most of my readings are in the normal range now (they've ranged from as low as 4.1 to mid 6s. Though I think I got a bit complacent last couple of days and have seen spikes too high. Fishcakes... I can't eat fishcakes. And I had seconds on a slice of pie last night... no seconds.

Typical fasting - about 5.5 mM. (6.3 mM is modal though- been as low as 4.7)

5.5 mM before food and 6.6 after is fairly typical now.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Most of my readings are in the normal range now (they've ranged from as low as 4.1 to mid 6s. Though I think I got a bit complacent last couple of days and have seen spikes too high. Fishcakes... I can't eat fishcakes. And I had seconds on a slice of pie last night... no seconds.

Typical fasting - about 5.5 mM. (6.3 mM is modal though- been as low as 4.7)

5.5 mM before food and 6.6 after is fairly typical now.
Amazing numbers, definitely normal numbers

• Friendly

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I won't mention the 9.3 I had after too much pie last night ;)

Oh whoops.

Yeah, pastry needs to be limited in portion.
We all do it mate dont worry, toastie and 2 MAC D burgers lats night, 2hr reading 7.2, 3hr 7.0, 4hr 5.6

Saturday night i had cookie dough and ice cream 2hr 9.3

Reactions: Mo R

Mo R

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well another update.

Excellenty!
That's great news.
I've just been diagnosed TII, with 48, 49 on 2nd blood test. They've put me straight on Metformin tabs. Have dropped all choc, cakes, ice cream..., Yes I've a very sweet tooth...
Now I'm trying to get my head around all the can doe's and don'ts...
Have found these forums most interesting and helpful.
I'm struggling regarding how or what monitor to buy to monitor owns levels, ant suggestions please?
Look forward to more in the forum's, thanks for all your helpful comments.

Reactions: Antje77

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
That's great news.
I've just been diagnosed TII, with 48, 49 on 2nd blood test. They've put me straight on Metformin tabs. Have dropped all choc, cakes, ice cream..., Yes I've a very sweet tooth...
Now I'm trying to get my head around all the can doe's and don'ts...
Have found these forums most interesting and helpful.
I'm struggling regarding how or what monitor to buy to monitor owns levels, ant suggestions please?
Look forward to more in the forum's, thanks for all your helpful comments.
Hi @Mo R and welcome to the forum. In general it's best if you ask questions by starting a new thread of your own.

However these are the 2 decent quality BG meters (with cheaper test strips) that are recommended in both the major UK Diabetes forums:

SD Gluco Navii
Spirit TEE+

I have no relationship to either company except for being a user of the TEE2+ which I've had no problems with in the 4yrs I've had it.

Reactions: Mo R

Mo R

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks Ian, I'll do that.
Will look up models you've mentioned.
Many thanks.

WaveyDavey123

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks Ian, I'll do that.
Will look up models you've mentioned.
Many thanks.
Hi Mo R, you sound very similar to me. It’s not that hard really.

Just test before a meal then 2h later. Try and keep below about 7.3 and no more than a 2.0 mM rise after the meal.
I’ve found I can tolerate basmati rice and moderate beer consumption (yay). But potatoes, peas, bread and even wholemeal pasta are out. I’m no longer diarising my meals as I’ve got a decent handle on what is good/bad now.
Still testing though - my 2 week bg average is now 5.9. I’ve lost loads of weight in the last month too. Down from about 123 kg to 112.7 kg today (about 2 stone in old money).
Feeling waaaaay healthier too.

Good luck to you. Really this was a blessing to be honest. No way I’m returning to old ways and high carb food poses no temptation as I can see the damage it does on my meter.

Mo R

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Mo R, you sound very similar to me. It’s not that hard really.

Just test before a meal then 2h later. Try and keep below about 7.3 and no more than a 2.0 mM rise after the meal.
I’ve found I can tolerate basmati rice and moderate beer consumption (yay). But potatoes, peas, bread and even wholemeal pasta are out. I’m no longer diarising my meals as I’ve got a decent handle on what is good/bad now.
Still testing though - my 2 week bg average is now 5.9. I’ve lost loads of weight in the last month too. Down from about 123 kg to 112.7 kg today (about 2 stone in old money).
Feeling waaaaay healthier too.

Good luck to you. Really this was a blessing to be honest. No way I’m returning to old ways and high carb food poses no temptation as I can see the damage it does on my meter.
Thanks @WaveyDavey123,
I've been very inspired by what I've read and how things work.
I'm very optimistic now, despite serious side effects from Metformin meds..
Hoping diet changes and exercise works.
Walked 2.5 miles Thursday and felt great... Then felt tired, and bad day today- side effects getting better of me...
But no doubts I'll be back our exercising again next few days..
Agree it's a Blessing to get things moving for the better, swift kick up bottom...
Now have my monitor , so will see what foods do work, rather than guessing as things were..

Regards.,