Newly diagnosed this morning

spage

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Was diagnosed with type 2 beginning of December. Since then had more tests. Now diagnosed with LADA but what does that mean for future is it a permanent thing? Is there a way to get rid like type 2? Has anyone been swapped from meds to insulin

Any reply I’m thankful for x

Reactions: Melinda14256

Circuspony

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
How did they diagnose you? Via antibody tests? It doesn't go away I'm afraid and you are lucky to be managing without insulin at the moment - what drugs are you on?

Pmerrill

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
I’m afraid it won’t go away, I guess for now you’re in the honeymoon period where you’re still producing some insulin, but this will get less and less over time. You may have times in the coming months or years where you think “perhaps I haven’t got diabetes” I certainly did! I’m now injecting, but only basal at the moment. There are some that say a move to insulin sooner helps to prolong you ability to produce your own certainly nothing to be too anxious about in my opinion. Now you’ve been properly diagnosed, you can at least get the right advice and treatment. I guess everyone deals with diabetes in their own way, for me I’m spurred on by keeping my bg in good control. I test regularly, exercise lots and eat well and to be honest am in much better shape now than before I was diagnosed. So there you go some positives

Read lots on here and ask questions there’s some extremely knowledgeable and helpful folks out there.

Good luck

Pete

NewTD2

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I’m afraid it won’t go away, I guess for now you’re in the honeymoon period where you’re still producing some insulin, but this will get less and less over time. You may have times in the coming months or years where you think “perhaps I haven’t got diabetes” I certainly did! I’m now injecting, but only basal at the moment. There are some that say a move to insulin sooner helps to prolong you ability to produce your own certainly nothing to be too anxious about in my opinion. Now you’ve been properly diagnosed, you can at least get the right advice and treatment. I guess everyone deals with diabetes in their own way, for me I’m spurred on by keeping my bg in good control. I test regularly, exercise lots and eat well and to be honest am in much better shape now than before I was diagnosed. So there you go some positives

Read lots on here and ask questions there’s some extremely knowledgeable and helpful folks out there.

Good luck

Pete

Hi Pete,

Can we have a chat in a private message please?

Kind regards

Andrew

Reactions: Pmerrill

Pmerrill

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Sure Andrew, message away, I’m just off to the gym but will respond when I can. All the best
Pete

spage

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks everyone. I had a anti bodies blood test as doctor had a feeling I was type 1. Not sure if main docs are fully aware I’ve been doing a lot of research since. Doctor told me to stay on my medication metformin and gliclazide and to check bloods once a week that I don’t need to do it all the time. Since then I have read that I should be checking at least 4x a day and that gliclazide isn’t good for type 1 or LADA because it actually kills off the beta cells quicker meaning be insulin dependent sooner. I have found evidence of this online not sure whether to go back to doctors or wait until my first meeting with diabetes nurse at end of feb. People are shocked he said check once a week also

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@spage gliclazide isn't recommended for people with type 1.5 wanting to extend the honeymoon. It will wear out beta cells, that are on their way out anyway, faster. Checking blood sugars only once a week for a confirmed type 1 diabetic who isn't on insulin is ridiculously risky and you risk DKA or not progressing to insulin as and when you need it if you aren't testing after meals.

spage

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes that’s everything I’ve read too. Also what is dka?

spage

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Ahhh ok. And no only metformin and gliclazide same as when they said I was type 2

spage

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Well been told by the doctors to only check once a week but been reading up and should be checking 4x a day min. Since I’ve read this I’ve gone back to checking first thing in the morning and hour after food. His never really told me what to do. Had no info at all when I asked was vague answers. They are very steady at the moment between 4-5mmol which is good I think. But sometimes can have small hypos depends what I’m eating

shezza48

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I think I’m type 1.5 I’m having real difficulties keeping my blood sugar stable. I’m having to take more of my novorapid after I’ve eaten. DSN wants to change my long acting insulin. I’m self funding a CGM because of all the hypos I’m having. I’m looking to self fund a insulin pump because when I was in ICU with a pulmonary embolism I was on pumped insulin and my blood sugars never changed much. Now they are all over the place. Sometimes above 27, sometimes as low as 2 or 3. The low levels are happening early in the morning.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I think I’m type 1.5 I’m having real difficulties keeping my blood sugar stable. I’m having to take more of my novorapid after I’ve eaten. DSN wants to change my long acting insulin. I’m self funding a CGM because of all the hypos I’m having. I’m looking to self fund a insulin pump because when I was in ICU with a pulmonary embolism I was on pumped insulin and my blood sugars never changed much. Now they are all over the place. Sometimes above 27, sometimes as low as 2 or 3. The low levels are happening early in the morning.

Just a thought . After your pulmonary embolism have you been on medication? Blood thinners? Do some Googling if so. Some of them interfere with blood glucose levels.

shezza48

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes I’m on blood thinners but been told they won’t affect blood sugars. Had lots of early morning hypos when I was in hospital before xmas, had no blood thinners for two weeks. Levels went so low I had to have IV glucose.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes I’m on blood thinners but been told they won’t affect blood sugars. Had lots of early morning hypos when I was in hospital before xmas, had no blood thinners for two weeks. Levels went so low I had to have IV glucose.

It was just a thought I had, and clearly it doesn't apply in your case.
I hope you manage to get this sorted very soon. :)

Reactions: Nooch1

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Warfarin can lower blood glucose and Apixaban can raise it. I am currently taking Dabigatran, which is not said to raise bg but I'm a bit suspicious.

shezza48

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I’m on rivaroxaban, been told this neither lowers or makes blood sugar higher. Blood sugar levels were initially ok after first being put on it, it’s only in the last six months since having eight separate bouts of pancreatitis that the levels have started to go funny.