Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Chinese a rise of 2.4 .. which all in all wasn't too bad.

So now I am confused last night after evening meal was 8.6 (i had beef, cauli, brocoli and green beans with gravy) the same as lunch... and this morning reading is 9.0 . Still its the lowest morning reading I have had.

The snack was breadstick and phili... might try an apple next time.

I do get to work an hour early and walk for 30 mins as I work at a place where there is a lot of out door space (have done that for nearly 4 years)

Well this evening I have indian reastaurant meal.... at the moment I am thinking chicke and spinach with a couple of spoons of boiled rice and no Naan....

No ... do not go near the rice. That's my advice.

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
What would you advise?

The apple bothered me, so did the breadstick, but you need to test (yep, I know that's repetitive advice) but if you want to try the rice, go for it.

To me (and to many others here) it's off limits. Enjoy the nite
Mike

Nightwishing1984

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have had wholemeal roce and chickpea curry made at home and it went up less than 1 point.
But wholemeal bread, pasta, weetabix, porridge, potatoes and oatcakes all put it up loads.

pavlosn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Chinese a rise of 2.4 .. which all in all wasn't too bad.

So now I am confused last night after evening meal was 8.6 (i had beef, cauli, brocoli and green beans with gravy) the same as lunch... and this morning reading is 9.0 . Still its the lowest morning reading I have had.

The snack was breadstick and phili... might try an apple next time.

I do get to work an hour early and walk for 30 mins as I work at a place where there is a lot of out door space (have done that for nearly 4 years)

Well this evening I have indian reastaurant meal.... at the moment I am thinking chicke and spinach with a couple of spoons of boiled rice and no Naan....
Even better numbers today! It must be good to see these single numbers.

Personally I prefer not to have rice or nun bread but I often have carries and I can manage two or three popadoms with them without spiking.

You need to try to substitute less carb heavy snacks for between meals so that you do not get to your next meal too high. Try celery sticks, carrot sticks, cheese, Philadelphia cheese, nuts ( but do not overdo).

With apples you need to test. Probably better keep this for a day when low or before your about to exercise.

Walking for thirty minutes is a very good habit.

If you can build up to an hour it would be even better.

If you have a smartphone consider downloading a pedometer app and truck the number of steps you take each day: target 8000-10000 per day. I find that doing this gives me extra motivation.

Why do you say you are confused? What confuses you or do you just mean that your surprised by your morning count?

Pavlos

Nightwishing1984

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just surprised that morning count is higher than evening. But very pleased single numbers berries and greek yoghurt for breakfast and no snack see what 2hr and lunch brings.

Something is taking effect...

The walking is just an extra, I do crossfit 3 times a week for 1 hour have done for 18 months now, i try to get out at lunch for 20 mins too.(that is extra to pre diagnosis)

What curries do you recommend? But popadoms sound good.

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

pavlosn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just surprised that morning count is higher than evening. But very pleased single numbers berries and greek yoghurt for breakfast and no snack see what 2hr and lunch brings.

Something is taking effect...

The walking is just an extra, I do crossfit 3 times a week for 1 hour have done for 18 months now, i try to get out at lunch for 20 mins too.(that is extra to pre diagnosis)

What curries do you recommend? But popadoms sound good.
Morning readings usually are higher than nighttime readings because of the dawn effect. We all have a store of glycogen in our livers and when the liver decides that we need an extra boost, such as after fasting overnight or when stressed or when we are about to wake up, the liver can convert glycogen and release it as glucose in our bloodstream. This is why morning counts can often be difficult to predict and control.

As for curries anything with meat, fish, prawns and green vegetables, cauliflower etc. I would avoid anything with potatoes, carrots to a lesser extent. I would probably avoid lentils. Something like tandoori chicken is probably a safe bet as well.

As @jack412 pointed out with high fat high carb food such as pizza or say a lentil curry, the digestion and conversion of carbs into glucose slows down and the pick rise may actually happen after the two hour test. I do not know if you need to concern yourself too greatly with this at this early stage in your diabetic life but I guess it does no harm to be aware of it.

Enjoy tonight.

Pavlos

Last edited by a moderator:

daddys1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was right on the borderline of diagnosis nearly 3 years ago.
Went away, read up, adjusted my diet, low carbed, found this forum, switched to low carb and high fat eating, and I still don't have a diagnosis - because I've managed to keep my BG down. Subsequent fasting BG tests have been over the Diabetic limit, but hba1c tests have come in as prediabetic.

But I had plenty of warning - I've been prediabetic for decades, so I've been low carbing more and more, since the 90s

Hi Brunneria,
I was was warned last year that I was Pre Diabetic, but I was ignorant of how serious it was, all the Doc said to me "you need to lose at least 2 stone". There was no warnings of how serious this could be whether I should have a special diet. I was of the view which I find with many people have, when you tell them your Type 2 diabetic, they all seem to say, or that's not the serious one then, I'm still trying to convince my sister that it is serious if you don't do anything about it. Anyway, I did lose some weight cut down on bread and potatoes, but continued eating much the same foods
as I had before and even started having fruit, as I was not a big fruit eater. One of the fruits I choose in this period was Dates 'Medjool' one of the highest sugar content fruits you can have.
Just wish I had investigated sooner and the Doc had taken my 'pre' a little more seriously and told me the consequences.
Pleased I got here................
Neil

Reactions: 4 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Brunneria,
I was was warned last year that I was Pre Diabetic, but I was ignorant of how serious it was, all the Doc said to me "you need to lose at least 2 stone". There was no warnings of how serious this could be whether I should have a special diet. I was of the view which I find with many people have, when you tell them your Type 2 diabetic, they all seem to say, or that's not the serious one then, I'm still trying to convince my sister that it is serious if you don't do anything about it. Anyway, I did lose some weight cut down on bread and potatoes, but continued eating much the same foods
as I had before and even started having fruit, as I was not a big fruit eater. One of the fruits I choose in this period was Dates 'Medjool' one of the highest sugar content fruits you can have.
Just wish I had investigated sooner and the Doc had taken my 'pre' a little more seriously and told me the consequences.
Pleased I got here................
Neil

Medjool dates are lush, aren't they? During my raw food phase I was using them as sugar substitutes in the hot choc. In my innocence (back then) I thought that they were good, because they were raw. and fruit.

Ah well, ya live and learn, don't you?

I also went through an artificial sweetener phase (never again) and a fructose and palm sugar phase. As I found out more, and fashions changed, and before I got my bg meter. I suppose each step, each development, gets us closer, it just seems to take a heck of a long time to get to where you want to be (for me, that is less than 50g carbs a day, no grains, no root veg, erythritol and bg that doesn't often go above 7 :))

Don't worry, we all go through the same stuff. I think we actually have it easier nowadays, with the internet. There's a LOT of dodgy info out there, but the good info is there too - if you look hard enough. A few years ago, the info simply wasn't available at all...

Reactions: 2 people

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Morning readings usually are higher than nighttime readings because of the dawn effect. We all have a store of glycogen in our livers and when the liver decides that we need an extra boost, such as after fasting overnight or when stressed or when we are about to wake up, the liver can convert glycogen and release it as glucose in our bloodstream. This is why morning counts can often be difficult to predict and control.

As for curries anything with meat, fish, prawns and green vegetables, cauliflower etc. I would avoid anything with potatoes, carrots to a lesser extent. I would probably avoid lentils. Something like tandoori chicken is probably a safe bet as well.

As @jack412 pointed out with high fat high carb food such as pizza or say a lentil curry, the digestion and conversion of carbs into glucose slows down and the pick rise may actually happen after the two hour test. I do not know if you need to concern yourself too greatly with this at this early stage in your diabetic life but I guess it does no harm to be aware of it.

Enjoy tonight.

Pavlos
a good reason the be aware is because with the pizza effect delays the spike, you take a 2 hr reading and it's 8,and think all's ok..when a 3 hr reading is 15

Reactions: 2 people

Paul59

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Been doibg some research thos evening Paul.... indeed exciting times!
The main stress is guest list and venue.. once that is done the rest will take care of itself.
As long as me and finacee are there that is the most important thing ;)
Yup 4 sure you have to be there, just avoid letting it stress you, that can affect the diabetes.