Newly diagnosed Type 1.5 LADA

KateAH

Type of diabetes
LADA
Hi All

I'm 59 and in November I suddenly became very thirsty, was up all night weeing and my eyesight deteriorated rapidly. After blood tests the doctor arrived at my house to say he wanted me to go into hospital as my fasting blood sugar was 29. Put on tablets (Metformin) and went on holiday to South Africa for 3 weeks! I was quite careful whilst there but enjoyed it none the less! On return have had further tests, put on Gliclizide and then Insulin as sugars will not come down. Yesterday it was confirmed I had LADA. At hospital tomorrow to have more insulin and to find out what happens from hereon-in!

Bit worried about whether I will be able to cope with managing Blood/Insulin but I'm sure I will eventually. Bonus is I've lost 3 stone in the past 3 months! I hope it doesn't go back on once I'm on Insulin properly.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @KateAH Welcome to the forum :) As your body had been through an awful lot over the past few months it will be inevitable you will gain weight again as your body gets used to insulin and replaces fluids and lost fat stores, the most important thing is that you will start to feel better again and that now your diagnosis is confirmed you will be monitored by your team with your insulin therapy. At this stage the best advice I can offer is to learn as much as you can, a good read to get you going is ‘Think like a pancreas’, knowledge is power in successfully managing your diabetes.