1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Newly diagnosed, Type 1

Discussion in 'Young People/Adults' started by SarahG93, Dec 12, 2016.

1. SarahG93

SarahG93 Type 1 · Newbie

Hi!
    I have just recent been diagnosed with Type one diabetes, about 5 weeks ago, I'm 16.
    Thought I was coping well however I'm now finding it very overwhelming and hard to come to terms with.
    Someone to talk to would be great, to know I'm not on my own!
    Thanks

• Hug Hug x 1
  2. jamesland214

jamesland214 Type 1 · Member

I'm 17 and have been type 1 diabetic for maybe like a year now, I know the feeling of being overwhelmed and stuff. I'm up to talk and stuff.

• Like Like x 1
  3. SarahG93

SarahG93 Type 1 · Newbie

Thanks! @jamesland214 It's a big change to take in. I'm a keen Hockey player but diagnosis has really set me back with sport

#3 SarahG93, Dec 12, 2016 at 5:22 PM
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2016
  4. deborabaratto

deborabaratto Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hey! I'm 23 years old and I have type 1 DM for 16 years! I do all sort of things (ice skating, running, swimming) and I can help you if you need to readjust your basal needs when exercising or something :) are you in Insulin Pump?

5. esiuolhannahhhh23

esiuolhannahhhh23 Type 1 · Newbie

Hellooo, I'm 20 and was diagnosed with type 1 about 17 years ago, if you need to talk dw about it i'm here to listen! i've had my own battles, but i've still done sport! swimming, running, rock climbing, ballet! and i've done hockey just dm me if you need to

6. sjordanw

sjordanw Type 1 · Newbie

I completely get where you are - I was diagnosed on Jan 26th 2017, I'm 17. I can't wrap my head around it - I feel like my life has just come down around me. I'm finding it so hard to adjust to - I cry at least once a day over having a meltdown over something stupid! I don't know anyone with type 1 and open to talking to anyone x

• Hug Hug x 2
  7. Raks_

Raks_ Type 1 · Member

Hey! I have been a type 1 diabetic for 12 years and there are some days when you can't deal with it anymore, you just want a break. My advice to you is don't be too hard on yourself. Some days are easier than others but just know you are a strong person who can get through this. :)

8. EvePop96

EvePop96 Type 1 · Newbie

Hi, I've been diabetic for 18 years since I was 2. It's all I've ever know but it can still be really hard. I understand how you feel, Diabetes does take over your life at some points and it becomes really difficult to accept it. But we're survivors and you are certainly not alone

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook