Newly Diagnosed Type 1

alexandra98

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey guys!

So I was diagnosed last Christmas just before my 19th birthday and I thought I'd come on here to hopefully have a few questions answered! I'm really struggling to keep my BG in range. My nurses have told me not to change anything about my lifestyle or diet, the only thing I should be doing differently is injecting insulin. Even though it' been nearly 8 months since I was diagnosed I still feel very tired and am always getting sick. Could this be because my BG is generally higher than it should be? And how long did it take you guys to get it under control?

Thanks!

Alex.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hello and welcome to the forum @alexandra98 :)

Sadly our lovely nurses do not live in our bodies 24/7 and see the effects of managing blood glucose levels, so it's really down to us to really know and see what's going on. When you say you are struggling to keep your BG levels in range can you give us an idea of a typical day's doses and BG readings look like and what you are struggling with ? Also what insulin are you using and when do you inject ? Feeling sick could be down to high BG levels or perhaps even the insulin you are using but without knowing what your highs are like or for what % of time you are running high it's difficult to say.

Please also remember that after being in the state of ketoacidosis that the body can take months to heal, I really don't think I felt right for many months afterwards, I was hoping to bounce back after I started taking insulin but it's not that straight forward. Within my first year I took it easy, and just got used to managing insulin doses and doing corrections where I could, then with knowledge and a good relationship with my DSN I improved my self management.

I also recommend getting yourself a copy of 'think like a pancreas' a good read for all type 1 diabetics and a useful resource for knowledge.

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
Hi @alexandra98 and welcome to the forum.
Could you give us an example of a daily food and insulin intake and blood sugars. What insulins are you on?

dancer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@alexandra98, are you on fixed doses of quick acting insulin (e.g. Novorapid) for meals or do you use carb ratios e.g. 1unit for every 10g of carbohydrate?

Are you on one basal injection per day, or two injections?

When do you test blood sugars?

What is your target blood sugar?

There are many possibilities of why someone has high blood sugars, so this information is useful in order to help you.