Newly diagnosed type 1

parkinsonryan

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I an newly diagnosed with type 1 using levemir and novo rapid when I went to work this morning my sugar levels were all over. From 2.5 to 8.5 but jumped up and down is there any ways I can prevent this from happening? I am also a ground worker

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Hi @parkinsonryan,
Welcome to the site!!
Have you just returned to work after being diagnosed and prescribed insulin?
Just that exercise does affect how well insulin works and thus can cause blood sugar levels (BSLs)
to go low (like the 2.5 mmoml/l) you mention.
When BSLs go low (called hypoglycaemia - hypo = low, -glyc - = glucose, -aemia = in the blood)
or hypo for short - our liver reacts by releasing stored glucose to raise the BSLs.
I call it the hypo-hyper see-saw (hyper - = high).
If you think this is the case the best bet is to contact your nurse or doctor to discuss how to manage this.
Basically for exercise I can either reduce my insulin which is acting at and after the exercise, or eat extra beforehand
or do a bit of both.
Each of us is different as to which works best so best to have your health team advise you.
If you look at the Home page and under 'Type 1 Diabetes' - you can read about hypoglycaemia and
how do treat it there.
I hope that helps but please post further if you wish.
More detail may help to sort out what exactly is happening!!
Best Wishes.:):):)

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
I an newly diagnosed with type 1 using levemir and novo rapid when I went to work this morning my sugar levels were all over. From 2.5 to 8.5 but jumped up and down is there any ways I can prevent this from happening? I am also a ground worker

Hello and welcome to the forum :)

Hopefully you're carrying quick acting glucose on you at all times, jelly babies, glucogel, dextrose tablets ?

When you're first diagnosed your levels will take some adjusting, you may also be in a honeymoon phase too so your pancreas is still squirting some additional insulin into the mix, it's best to speak to your DSN and review your levels as no one here can give advice about doses. Try and keep a record though, early on detecting patterns and doses taken is good information to keep track and see what's going on, it's wise in the meantime to eat some additional carbs to avoid going low until you've seen or spoken to someone, let us know how you get on ?

parkinsonryan

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello and welcome to the forum :)

Hopefully you're carrying quick acting glucose on you at all times, jelly babies, glucogel, dextrose tablets ?

When you're first diagnosed your levels will take some adjusting, you may also be in a honeymoon phase too so your pancreas is still squirting some additional insulin into the mix, it's best to speak to your DSN and review your levels as no one here can give advice about doses. Try and keep a record though, early on detecting patterns and doses taken is good information to keep track and see what's going on, it's wise in the meantime to eat some additional carbs to avoid going low until you've seen or spoken to someone, let us know how you get on ?
Thanks that is great I will do

parkinsonryan

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @parkinsonryan,
Welcome to the site!!
Have you just returned to work after being diagnosed and prescribed insulin?
Just that exercise does affect how well insulin works and thus can cause blood sugar levels (BSLs)
to go low (like the 2.5 mmoml/l) you mention.
When BSLs go low (called hypoglycaemia - hypo = low, -glyc - = glucose, -aemia = in the blood)
or hypo for short - our liver reacts by releasing stored glucose to raise the BSLs.
I call it the hypo-hyper see-saw (hyper - = high).
If you think this is the case the best bet is to contact your nurse or doctor to discuss how to manage this.
Basically for exercise I can either reduce my insulin which is acting at and after the exercise, or eat extra beforehand
or do a bit of both.
Each of us is different as to which works best so best to have your health team advise you.
If you look at the Home page and under 'Type 1 Diabetes' - you can read about hypoglycaemia and
how do treat it there.
I hope that helps but please post further if you wish.
More detail may help to sort out what exactly is happening!!
Best Wishes.:):):)
Thanks for the advise I am going to have the rest of the week of work to try get my head around it a little bit more and speak to diabetic nurse but I will keep that in mine thank you the thing I don't understand is counting carbs

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
If you go to the Home page - type 1 diabetes - you will find 'carb counting' there and
you may wish to follow on with the other suggested topics there to obtain more info around diet.
Good luck and please keep asking questions !!
Learning is the art of making sense of confusion !!

Colin Crowhurst

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Similarly recently diagnosed, (Dec 18) when I returned to work , which is also reasonably physical , I found my levels dropped dramatically at times, very quickly I managed to work this into my routine, after physical work, test then eat to adjust. Just take a bit of time to sort yourself out rather than worrying about anything else and it should become easy to manage. Incidentally I find a relatively high Carb breakfast (Porridge with fruit) as a good slow release to cover most of the morning!