newly diagnosed type 1

aimee7285

Hi =)

I can't completely relate with how your feeling about being diagnosed because I've been type 1 since I was 14months old and I'm 24 now! But all through my life my diabetes was all over the place, constantly high or always having hypos!

I started doing DAFNE about 4 years ago now an it is the best thing ever! It takes a bit to get into it but once you eat the hang of it its brilliant! I still get days when my sugars are all over the place and still have to change my ratios but you will find your balance!

Don't let diabetes take over, you need to take over it =) there will always be people that understand what you are going through and be there to listen to any problems!

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

jothegreat

Well my nurse has said she will let me carb count just not yet, so hoping won't be to much longer. All you people inspire me being diganosed at such young ages, if 1yr olds and 5yr olds can do it then what am I complaining about! I think my ratio is 4g carb to 1unit anyway. I have two nurses tho, one at the hospital that works with my consulant and then a nurse at my gp surgery that I see once a week, the one I see once a week agrees with this ratio and would rather I carb count but the hospital nurse and my consulant have said no way am I to start yet, I'm on set dose's of 12 novarapid and 32lantus. Which is annoying because I'm constantly chasing insulin with food and food with insulin and gaining weight as a result :( xxx

Lisababy32

Hi I totally understand this too. I was diagnosed 2 weeks ago with type 1 aged 34 years. It's a complete lifestyle change and shock but I just keep telling myself I need to sort it out for the kids :-( its not easy though. I have never had to watch my weight as I'm a size 8/10 and have always been able to eat what I like so now even the food shopping is hard work as I'm having to study everything's ingredients! Just hoping it gets easier as people keep telling me it will.x

ewelina

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I really dont understand why they reccomend set doses. They send people into constant hypos! As a result you need to eat more than you should. I was reccomended 10 unit novorapid at the begginig. i really dont know what i would have to eat for that amount of insulin. probably massive fish&chips or something similar. I started to experiment and then I started to feel normal again. I reduced the recommended set doses by half.

I dont encourage you to do against nurses advice but its your body and you know the best what feel good to you.

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi,
There is a difference between learning to count carbs (not rocket science) and learning to adjust your insulin on the basis of this.
As you have only just been diagnosed any insulin/carb ratio will undoubtedly change quite rapidly. Indeed, you may go through a honeymoon period when insulin requirements become much lower for a time.

I was diagnosed in France and spent 10 days in hospital. whilst there I was 'taught' to count carbs but not to adjust the dose. The dietitian ordered meals with a set amount of carbs and I dosed an amount of insulin based on this set amount of carbs and my glucose level .When I left hospital I continued to do this for some time and kept records of food eaten, carb count (keeping the same amounts.. which were for me 40g breakfast, 50-60 gm lunch and 70-80g dinner but that was obviously based on my height, weight and age) , insulin dose, (+ any exercise etc)
Gradually the ratio of insulin to carbs became fairly obviously and I started to tentatively vary the amount of carbs I ate at any particular meal and vary the dose accordingly. This took time. In retrospect I think it worked well.

I think I read that you have been asked to keep a diary. Why don't you write everything you eat (sometimes different carbs and even protein affect us differently... I found I need to bolus for boiled eggs( which are protein and fat! ) Weigh the starchy carbs (and at the very start maybe the other veg), remember there are carbs in milk and fruit.Using carbohydrate tables from a book (the calorie, fat and carb bible is one book) calculate and record the carbs for that meal. Write down your glucose level , anything extra like exercise or illness and the insulin you took Also record your level 2 hours after the meal.

Obviously if you eat so many carbs for dinner and you are too low or too high at 2 hours then the insulin was too much for the amount of carbs consumed. If you are 'allowed' to do so then the next day at the same meal you could either adjust the insulin or the amount of carbs consumed (personally, I'd rather not feed the insulin)
Eventually, your record will help give you the data you need to learn how to adjust your dose (though it depends on an accurate basal dose, that's another subject entirely!)
It's good to take things slowly though and get to know how your body reacts,
Ratios won't be set in stone, they will change over time and season (and probably phases of the moon :lol: )

Personally, when at home, I still weigh starchy carbs , I estimate the others. It's a normal thing to do now and really isn't too much hassle. When out, I estimate and the practice I get at home means that for most things I get it right (well except for Chinese take aways!)

It might be worth getting a good book on insulin use.
Try Think like a Pancreas, Garry Scheiner (from the US but a good book which explains about using the basal bolus regime)
another book I would recommend for any new T1 is
Type 1 Diabetes in Children, Adolescents and Young Adults (How to become expert in your own diabetes) Ragnar Hanas
This book is often recommended by parents of young diabetics but it is a good reference book for people of any age