newly diagnosed type 1

jothegreat

Hi, I was diagnosed type 1 on the 28th November 2012. After about 3/4 weeks of being completely exhausted, I started to get excessively thirsty, and then my eyes went, I wondered about with poor vision thirst and exhaustion for about 6 days before visiting my GP . I feel very lucky to be alive now, but also feel if it wasn't for my two kids i wouldn't even bother fighting this illness. I don't mean to feel sorry for myself but at present I cant help it. Nobody around me understands, I feel extremely alone, I feel my levels will never sort themselves out and I just need somebody that understands to talk to, has any body else experienced these feelings. Im 25 and have battled a life time of depression since the age of about 9 after living with my mother absuive husband and then living with an alcholic mother untill this day. I scared of depression setting in again after 2years of having a clear and happy head

DaveNN

jothegreat said:
Hi, I was diagnosed type 1 on the 28th November 2012. After about 3/4 weeks of being completely exhausted, I started to get excessively thirsty, and then my eyes went, I wondered about with poor vision thirst and exhaustion for about 6 days before visiting my GP . I feel very lucky to be alive now, but also feel if it wasn't for my two kids i wouldn't even bother fighting this illness. I don't mean to feel sorry for myself but at present I cant help it. Nobody around me understands, I feel extremely alone, I feel my levels will never sort themselves out and I just need somebody that understands to talk to, has any body else experienced these feelings. Im 25 and have battled a life time of depression since the age of about 9 after living with my mother absuive husband and then living with an alcholic mother untill this day. I scared of depression setting in again after 2years of having a clear and happy head

Jon.
We all get fed up.... But you appear to be well past this.
My advice would be to express these thoughts to your GP.
It could be that your DM is causing other issues.
Being a bit low is common- any further needs the intervention of professionals.
They will look at your situation in a none judgemental way and get you fixed up.

I wish you well and hope that you get sorted out and quickly.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Hello jothegreat,

It's extremely difficult for those around us to apprehend how living with diabetes effects our well-being, the first few months are by far the worst as the shock of diagnosis takes time to sink in and there's so much to learn and do, in time it does get easier although you may not think this at this present moment.

I agree with DaveNN that you should discuss your feelings with your HCP's, there is help and support groups out there but you need to ask for help first.

Best wishes!

jothegreat

thank you for you'r replies, I will be discussing it with my nurse and have touched onit with her previously. I just keep hitting walls, my levels seem to start becoming normally then bang I slep up and spend the next two days correcting it, im then very irritable and my partner just doesn't seem to understand at all. My mind is so boogled :( :crazy:

twinkle1980

Hiya Jo

Welcome to the club. I was diagnosed type 1 at 32 on christmas eve so I can understand all your feelings right now. In fact I know there are a few others who are also in the same boat.

Rant away, its good to get it out.

My biggest piece of advice is read read read, and once you have become exhausted from the reading, read some more. Are you carb counting yet? Its made a huge difference to my levels.

sal x

jothegreat

I want to carb count so badly but my nurse keeps saying its to early, she's said until we have my levls stable we cant determine the correct ratio. it's annoying me because they all keep saying if they teach me carb counting now it will be to much to take in, but that makes me feel that they think im stupid, I know if they would let me carb count I could gain control alot quicker. I think being diagnosed near Christmas makes it that extra bit harder, there is so much you want to eat lol xx

Sarahg

Hey I cant 100% relate to you as I got diabetes when I was five and therefore don't really know any different. However my bloods have recently become very erratic.

Despite this I have been encouraged to carb count as my doctors and nurses feel it is the best way to deal. If your interested in carb counting talk it through again with your nurse, and get the carbs and cals book as it is very useful. I originally decided to carb count myself but I only had a slight knowledge of it.

If you have any questions id be happy to help were I can. :)

Sent from my GT-S5360 using DCUK Forum mobile app

jothegreat

Im seeing my nurse tomorrow so will discuss carb counting with her again, also got consulant next wek so will also try to discuss it with her. still in shock, being diagnosed at 5 must of been hard. I always believed it was somethin people where born with xx

Sarahg

Yeah I think it was more difficult for my parents to deal with I thought it was awesome because I got spoilt rotten. But was really difficult when I became a teenager and decided I didn't what diabetes lol though must be for more difficult to come to terms with at 25 Id be lost if I only got diagnosed.
Things get easier though :)

jothegreat

God yea, if one of my kids got it my world would be shattered. I know what you mean by deciding you no longer want it, i feel like that sometimes lol. In away yea it's horrible to be diagnosed at 25 but at the same time, i've had a life of binge eating, something that others unforunatly haven't, so in a sense im lucky if that makes sense. Just hard because some days i feel like yea im doing this, im in control then others im total oppisite. last night i dreamed about chocolate cake and even in my dream somebody was there saying no you have it lol xx

Sarahg

See I carb count and do dafne so I can pretty much eat what I want to a degree as long as I cover the carb intake with insulin.

Was difficult when I was younger because all my friends were allowed to eat loads of junk and I wasn't so made me feel different. But its for the best I guess :)

angieG

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
jothegreat said:
I want to carb count so badly but my nurse keeps saying its to early, she's said until we have my levls stable we cant determine the correct ratio. it's annoying me because they all keep saying if they teach me carb counting now it will be to much to take in, but that makes me feel that they think im stupid, I know if they would let me carb count I could gain control alot quicker. I think being diagnosed near Christmas makes it that extra bit harder, there is so much you want to eat lol xx

They leave it a while before you learn to carb count I think as you could still be in a bit of a honeymoon period where your pancreas still produces a bit of insulin at times, thus making figures erratic. Once this has settled down the correct ratios can be established easier. The best thing to do for now is to keep a food diary and keep testing, you will soon get the idea of how much insulin you need for the things you regularly eat....then you can venture onto new foods and gradually build up a list of how to deal with it all. By the the time you get on the carb counting course then you will have some idea of what you are doing already.

Good luck and keep ranting, we are here to help.
Angie

ewelina

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I was advised to wait for carb counting but i started straight away. Its not difficult and i dont understand why they make such a fuss about this. I remember when i left hospital and followed doctors advice (fixed dose) i had constant hypos :? Its good to know what to eat and how it affects you

jothegreat

Thank you all for you're advise. I am going to discuss carb counting with my nurse in the morning. I know its a long process and they have explained about the honeymoon period but I just want to get it right so bad. They keep saying don't let it control you which is pretty hard when they won't allow me to take full control of it xx

Sarahg

I think you should do what makes you feel comfortable and what you may think will work best for you. After all its your body you know what's best and doctors are forever going on about how we need to take responsibility for our diabetes.

I'm lucky in the fact that my diabetic doctors allow me to decide to do in relation to my control. Even when I'm sick and admitted into hospital they allow me full control of my diabetes and the amount of insulin I take, unless they feel they need to intervene for th

jothegreat

Well see my nurse this morning. Still saying no to carb counting. Want me to now keep a food diary. Just finding things hard, spoke to her about it all and she's sending me for councelling. Don't know how much that will help. What is you're carb/insulin ratio xx

twinkle1980

jothegreat said:
Well see my nurse this morning. Still saying no to carb counting. Want me to now keep a food diary. Just finding things hard, spoke to her about it all and she's sending me for councelling. Don't know how much that will help. What is you're carb/insulin ratio xx

Aww hun how disappointing for you. However its great that she takes the psychological side of diabetes seriously.

I keep a food diary as it helps me to spot where any unusual readings have come from (spot the culprit foods).

As for ratios I was started on a 1:10 (1 unit for every 10g carbs), but told i would need to tweek it as I went. I now know I am less insulin sensitive on a morning, than an evening (long-lasting taken at bedtime so that's not the culprit). So my ratios are currently:
1:7.5 - breakfast
1:10 - lunch
1:15 - dinner

However I also know certain foods effect me more/less than expected, so I change my ratio to suit these.

To give an example, normal porridge doesnt seem to effect me as expected and I only need a 1:15 ratio for that at breakfast. Today I ran out of normal porridge so pinched some of the kids plain reddy brek... This resulted in a hyper of 22. Reddy brek is now on my dont have list, but if I do have it I need to adjust my ratios accordingly (prob back to the usual breakfast ratio of 1:7.5 and test after).

Hope that helps xx

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
jothegreat said:

I'm sure before you can enroll on a carb counting course such as DAFNE you have to have been diagnosed for at least 6 months, Angie G explains why earlier in the thread, just keep a note of your bg readings, insulin taken and food eaten and hopefully the DSN will advise on dose adjustment.

Good news about the counselling, really hope it's helpful :thumbup:

Sarahg

I recently went to counselling also I found it very helpful. my ratio is currently 2 units per 10g carbs and then a corrective dose of 1 unit to bring my blood down 2 mmols.

I also keep a food diary and find it helpful in deciding why my bloods are higher during particular stages of the day.

hope you get everything sorted :) x

jothegreat

Hi all, thanks for you're replys. I have been told that when they do eventually do carb counting with me I will start on 10g to 1unit but I already no this is not enough, I'm having at least 12units with each meal, she did say to me today to think about splitting my dose, so have half before my meal and the other half an hour after and then also splitting my long acting, 12hrly. I'm hoping the councelling will help, been arguing with my partner non stop since I got diagnosed, which my nurse also said won't help with my levels :( xx