Newly diagnosed Type 2 + experiences so far

Mick1959

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi to all

First, please accept my apologies for the following long post about my experience so far and writing it for others to read has been somewhat cathartic.

I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes back in late Early February 2018, following a severe illness which resulted in full blood tests. 3 blood tests later (GP thought such high levels in HbA1c in first test may be an anomaly due Ribena, plus 6 months previously a full blood test for an unrelated illness, showed no issues in blood or cholesterol).

Let’s say, the nurses taking bloods, my GP were excellent. But that is where my experience in dealing with subsequent 'professionals' has been sadly very poor.

Visit to Diabetic nurse was organised, where in a short session, I was told my HbA1c was 71, was being prescribed Metformin SR start on 1 tablet daily for a week, then increase to 2, then 3 then 4 tablets daily. Then was handed a photocopied booklet (mainly advice for type 1), advised to fill in a form for free prescriptions, to diet, exercise more and eat smaller portion, that an eye scan will be organised for me and in 3 months to call for arranging another blood test.

To say I was shocked was understatement, I was just a number on a conveyor belt system that I failed to register the visit was over until she said bye and if you have any question check the booklet first!

I tried phoning a day later as no idea when to take tablets other than read the leaflet instructions after meals. is that all 4 at once, spread throughout the day? Unfortunately, she was busy, and I failed to follow up.

I then turned to the internet and found this site, joined and read the forums, read other people’s experience and realised, I was not alone in my experiences and picked up some advice I have followed, especially re diet and taking my tablets and monitoring your glucose levels.

I got a letter in post two weeks later about attending the 1-day NHS DESMOND Course for newly diagnosed Type 2, which I gladly accepted in hope of learning a lot more about living with diabetes, diets (as I am allergic to eggs and fish), being positive and proactive to get my diabetes under control.

The days course was an eye opener and felt that the course is run to s strict timetable, questions asked was either deflected to it is in the booklets we provide or deal with them later - but asking questions that challenged the information and how it was achieved were distinctly brushed aside or ignored. They kept going on about importance of finger pricking yet then state the NHS has finite resources, so it must be self-funded. The link between good/bad fats HDL/LDL, were left as the booklets are there were here to sign post the way, not answer.

All in all, I feel like it was a tick box operation to prove something was being done.

However, on positive side I have decided to be proactive myself

Follow the forums for other peoples experiences and advice
I have got myself a bike, try and do at least 40 mins ride each day and 1 hour a day at weekends
Trying the LCHF diet with my wife being patient
Bought a FreeStyle Libre to self-monitor

If you got this far, thanks for reading and humouring my cathartic approach

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
With a low carb diet and the other measures you are taking, you should be fine - with any luck.
I agree that there is not much 'care' in the way new diabetics are treated, and the advice is dreadful.
All we can do is take note of how we do, work out our own salvation and pass on the information as best we can - the internet might be a dreadful thing on the whole, but it can be used for good things too.

lindijanice

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hey @Mick1959 welcome to the forum! You have certainly come to the right place for help, guidance, inspiration, a sounding board, etc. Do read, read, read and then you will be able to make educated decisions pertaining to your own path in dealing with your diabetes. Keep in mind that it is through testing, testing, testing you blood sugars that you will discover what carbs you can enjoy and ones that you really must get yourself to thinking that you are "allergic" to them! (You wouldn't eat peanuts if you had an allergy to them, right?!) The same with carbs - some people can tolerate oatmeal while others of us have rocket high results from even a small portion, as an example. You will have to learn what is best for you and how many carbs you can handle in a day - we run the gamut here from zero carbs to under twenty to under 100g/day or higher.

There are many fabulous recipes for low carb - dietdoctor.com is excellent, this website is great as well, and many others that you will see people mention. I find the Hubby loves the food I eat - he supplements with his carbs and it works out well for both of us - same with family dinners with our adult children.

Also bear in mind that this is a marathon that you have embarked upon, not a sprint, so there will be good days and bad days. So many variables like illness, stress, emotions, can cause our blood sugars to do quirky things, but if you are consistent in your eating and exercise as best you can, the numbers will work out ok in the long run. Remember that life happens and don't beat yourself up if you "err" once in a while - we all do - consistency is key, not perfection in my view. Wishing you all the best/L

Ragmar

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
In the beginning I didn't know what to eat but found the LCHF diet and it's saved both me and my blood sugar, good on you for being pro active and getting a bike. It's still winter where I am so I can't ride yet but I go to the gym daily to break a sweat.

I wish you the best and remember to celebrate your wins

@lindijanice hit it right on the head. It's a marathon not a sprint. I think this is the first time I've seen that and I love it.

Reactions: lindijanice

Tabbyjoolz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cruelty, bigotry
A chance remark by the doctor who delivered the diagnosis (after a shouty nurse has blurted it out to me - another story) brought me to this forum. He mentioned the Newcastle Diet in passing but it got me thinking and researching once I was back home and had finished crying my eyes out.

You're doing all the right things. Test, eat to your meter, discover all the wonderful things you can eat LCHF (eggs and fish excepted in your case) and hopefully your wife will get interested too. I was quite fortunate as my husband, also type 2, was facing having to start on insulin, so he got very excited about LCHF. He is still not on insulin.

Reactions: Antje77

Mick1959

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi

Thanks to all for the positive encouragement and comments

jayney27

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi to all

First, please accept my apologies for the following long post about my experience so far and writing it for others to read has been somewhat cathartic.

I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes back in late Early February 2018, following a severe illness which resulted in full blood tests. 3 blood tests later (GP thought such high levels in HbA1c in first test may be an anomaly due Ribena, plus 6 months previously a full blood test for an unrelated illness, showed no issues in blood or cholesterol).

Let’s say, the nurses taking bloods, my GP were excellent. But that is where my experience in dealing with subsequent 'professionals' has been sadly very poor.

Visit to Diabetic nurse was organised, where in a short session, I was told my HbA1c was 71, was being prescribed Metformin SR start on 1 tablet daily for a week, then increase to 2, then 3 then 4 tablets daily. Then was handed a photocopied booklet (mainly advice for type 1), advised to fill in a form for free prescriptions, to diet, exercise more and eat smaller portion, that an eye scan will be organised for me and in 3 months to call for arranging another blood test.

To say I was shocked was understatement, I was just a number on a conveyor belt system that I failed to register the visit was over until she said bye and if you have any question check the booklet first!

I tried phoning a day later as no idea when to take tablets other than read the leaflet instructions after meals. is that all 4 at once, spread throughout the day? Unfortunately, she was busy, and I failed to follow up.

I then turned to the internet and found this site, joined and read the forums, read other people’s experience and realised, I was not alone in my experiences and picked up some advice I have followed, especially re diet and taking my tablets and monitoring your glucose levels.

I got a letter in post two weeks later about attending the 1-day NHS DESMOND Course for newly diagnosed Type 2, which I gladly accepted in hope of learning a lot more about living with diabetes, diets (as I am allergic to eggs and fish), being positive and proactive to get my diabetes under control.

The days course was an eye opener and felt that the course is run to s strict timetable, questions asked was either deflected to it is in the booklets we provide or deal with them later - but asking questions that challenged the information and how it was achieved were distinctly brushed aside or ignored. They kept going on about importance of finger pricking yet then state the NHS has finite resources, so it must be self-funded. The link between good/bad fats HDL/LDL, were left as the booklets are there were here to sign post the way, not answer.

All in all, I feel like it was a tick box operation to prove something was being done.

However, on positive side I have decided to be proactive myself

Follow the forums for other peoples experiences and advice
I have got myself a bike, try and do at least 40 mins ride each day and 1 hour a day at weekends
Trying the LCHF diet with my wife being patient
Bought a FreeStyle Libre to self-monitor

If you got this far, thanks for reading and humouring my cathartic approach
Hello and welcome Mick,
Your introduction to life as a diabetic is not unusual, my journey started as a result of a random blood test so I was absolutely horrified when I was told. However since finding this wonderful place and the equally wonderful people who share their experience, knowledge, advice and support I have experienced massive successes.
I was diagnosed in Oct 2017, my first check up showed my blood glucose level as being in the pre diabetic range and my daily tests average out around 5.5 which is within the normal blood glucose range. I am fitter due to the little bit of exercise I now do and I’m over 3 stone lighter.
Take it one day at a time, you will need to adjust to this new way of eating, it does require a little more thought and planning but it is achievable, I wish you lots of success and best wishes.

Ragmar

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was quite fortunate as my husband, also type 2, was facing having to start on insulin, so he got very excited about LCHF. He is still not on insulin.

That's amazing! Congrats to both you and your husband. I plan to stay off medication for as long as possible.