Newly Diagnosed Type 2 with Depression

Maggie/Magpie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Butternut Squash, Cabbage and confrontation.
@Maggie/Magpie - Hi:). A lot of Forum Members follow the LCHF Diet (Low Carb High Fat), it helps them to not only loose weight but also lowers the Blood Sugar and HBA1C. Take a look at this:
http://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/60-seconds
Had a good look, thanks for link, still not certain as there's a lot I would't like to eat ie cottage cheese hate the texture as well as the taste but I guess thats personal taste. Will ask diabetic nurse about it Tuesday. How flexible can it be?

Reactions: Freema and Liam1955

Maggie/Magpie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hi and welcome @Maggie/Magpie
I would suggest you ask the nurse for your test results if you don't know them already.
It's great that you are testing as that will help you to find what works for you. Also it's a great encouragement when you start to see the number go down. Don't expect too much too soon as it will take time. People on here will be very willing to give you ideas on what has worked for them.
And I'm very keen to learn of their ideas and experiences - trying to be a 'sponge'.

Reactions: Prem51

Lyn22

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Maggie
I have been treated for depression for many years and it takes a while to get your head round a diabetic diagnosis. In the UK there is a Desmond course that you are invited to. Mine was given by a nurse and a dietitian and I found it very helpful. Everyone who goes is also recently diagnosed and I found it a very honest course. They also let you know about the checks you should get. I follow the dietitian's advice and a little bit of the low carb advice from this forum and I'm not doing too badly. I have lots of other health complications but find if I reset my goals every few days I don't get down.

Maggie/Magpie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Can anyone tell me why my blood sugars seem to be lower when I go to bed and yet raised in the morning when I get up, yet I've eaten nothing all evening or over night. Logically surely they should be lower again in the morning? Been puzzling over it a few days now it dosen't make sense to me.

tim32

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Can anyone tell me why my blood sugars seem to be lower when I go to bed and yet raised in the morning when I get up, yet I've eaten nothing all evening or over night. Logically surely they should be lower again in the morning? Been puzzling over it a few days now it dosen't make sense to me.
It's probably Dawn Phenomenon, if you search it on the main web site it will give you the information, It's far better than me trying to explain it.

Maggie/Magpie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hi Maggie
I have been treated for depression for many years and it takes a while to get your head round a diabetic diagnosis. In the UK there is a Desmond course that you are invited to. Mine was given by a nurse and a dietitian and I found it very helpful. Everyone who goes is also recently diagnosed and I found it a very honest course. They also let you know about the checks you should get. I follow the dietitian's advice and a little bit of the low carb advice from this forum and I'm not doing too badly. I have lots of other health complications but find if I reset my goals every few days I don't get down.
Thank you Lyn I try to set small goals of what to do every night and hope to achieve one of them the following day, if I manage more it's a bonus and a good day. I will ask about the Desmond course and checks I should have on tuesday when I see the nurse, adding it to my list of questions. Thanks for the info. So far I've basically cut out binging on sugar for last two weeks, reduced portion sizes and trying to have less amounts of carbohydrates but I don't feel I can loose them to the degree of the LC diet. Is that a bad thing? That might change I suppose. But I guess you got to do what you personally can cope with. I've tried every diet going in the past I loose a couple of stone, then it stops no matter what else I do, even increasing exercise. It just goes back on and usually more. I think I'm going to keep going as I'am for the time being, do things gradually and change it up as and when I reach a sticking point, in hope the weight starts going down again. My worse problem is the binge eating, which is probably why I'm in this mess, I have such a sweet tooth. I've just got to hope this is enough of a wake up call to stop me going round in those circles. Do you have any experience with that? I'd like to hear your thoughts. Maggie

Maggie/Magpie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
It's probably Dawn Phenomenon, if you search it on the main web site it will give you the information, It's far better than me trying to explain it.
Thank you, I've looked into it as suggested, not sure I fully understand it but will look it up again in morning to see if it makes more sense then and do as suggested by trying to test BS around 3-4am to check it out further. Maggie

Maggie/Magpie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Does anyone have any advise about binge eating and how to stop?

Reactions: Freema

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
@Maggie/Magpie

Hello and welcome to the forum :) I have changed your title for you. If you tell me what you would like it to be then I will change it again for you. Here is the information we give to new members and I hope you will find it useful. Ask as many questions as you like and someone will be able to help. There is a link to the Low Carb Program in there and you might find this useful.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEWLY DIAGNOSED DIABETICS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you'll find well over 210,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.

There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:

• Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates
Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes.

Over 145,000 people have taken part in the Low Carb Program - a free 10 week structured education course that is helping people lose weight and reduce medication dependency by explaining the science behind carbs, insulin and GI.

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips

The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:

• structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to blood glucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic.

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hi @Maggie/Magpie and welcome to the forum. I have depression too, and think that it contributed to me becoming T2 diabetic, along with other factors. I don't know if it would be regarded as binge eating, but I was comfort eating, especially a lot of sweet sugary stuff - I got addicted to mince pies and was eating six a day! Also I was going to the pub almost every night and eating pub meals (chips with everything) and drinking 3-4 pints of beer.
I thought that a strict LCHF diet wouldn't be easy for me, so I sort of adapted it with lower carb intake and more fats like cheese, butter and cream. It probably did take longer to bring my HbA1c down than others on a stricter LCHF diet, but I have got down to non-diabetic levels after a year. I have also reduced my weight by over 30 lbs, and stabilised at around 10 st.
I don't feel the urge to eat more or snack now, as I feel full after a smaller meal.
It can be difficult for the first few weeks. I did feel hungry but the shock of diagnosis and the fear of complications motivated me. After about 3-4 weeks I started losing about 1 lb a week and my stomach got used to getting less food.

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

you could to try to binge eat in nut´s instead , and then find you´ll get much more satiated ... after a while on low carb higher fat diet , you will not have the same cravings for sweets...

nut are good for diabetics in general.. but anyway learn how much calories are in on of the different kind of nuts and Count the calories too.
http://www.weightlossresources.co.uk/calories/calorie_counter/nuts_seeds.htm
http://www.thekitchn.com/a-visual-guide-to-100-calories-of-nuts-snack-tips-from-the-kitchn-201778
http://dailyburn.com/life/health/nuts-calories-serving-size-infographic/
INFOGRAPHIC-What-200-Calories-of-Nuts-Looks-Like.png

Last edited:

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Had a good look, thanks for link, still not certain as there's a lot I would't like to eat ie cottage cheese hate the texture as well as the taste but I guess thats personal taste. Will ask diabetic nurse about it Tuesday. How flexible can it be?
Hi Maggie you really do not have to eat things you don't like that is not what LCHF is about it is more about cutting out or lowering the starchy carbs like bread, potatoes, rice and pasta and perhaps having smaller portions and of course no sugar stuff. If you don't want to eat to much high fat and not everyone does then try good oils like coconut and olive oil and some nuts and avocados if you like them. Try that for a while will be amazed at how it helps lower your levels and weight loss

Reactions: Prem51 and zand

Maggie/Magpie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hi @Maggie/Magpie and welcome to the forum. I have depression too, and think that it contributed to me becoming T2 diabetic, along with other factors. I don't know if it would be regarded as binge eating, but I was comfort eating, especially a lot of sweet sugary stuff - I got addicted to mince pies and was eating six a day! Also I was going to the pub almost every night and eating pub meals (chips with everything) and drinking 3-4 pints of beer.
I thought that a strict LCHF diet wouldn't be easy for me, so I sort of adapted it with lower carb intake and more fats like cheese, butter and cream. It probably did take longer to bring my HbA1c down than others on a stricter LCHF diet, but I have got down to non-diabetic levels after a year. I have also reduced my weight by over 30 lbs, and stabilised at around 10 st.
I don't feel the urge to eat more or snack now, as I feel full after a smaller meal.
It can be difficult for the first few weeks. I did feel hungry but the shock of diagnosis and the fear of complications motivated me. After about 3-4 weeks I started losing about 1 lb a week and my stomach got used to getting less food.
I know my depression contributed to my diagnosis of type 2, Mental Health took turn for the worst in June when my daughter moved to New Zealand, tablets changed to Olanzapine, became ravenously hungry and binged for 3 months put on nearly 3 stone as had no control what so ever; worst side effect ever experienced shame I cant seu the psyc team. Sent my pre-diabetes over the edge. Finally had Olanzapine changed on 13th September, now back in control, but diabetic. No sweet stuff for 12 days now, watching carbs and portion sizes due to advise on this website in hope it helps, but it's really hard to be so disciplined, but maybe the diagnosis of type 2 is what I needed to turn things around. Thanks for the advise and support do appreciate it. Well done for your achievements so far.

Maggie/Magpie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hi Maggie you really do not have to eat things you don't like that is not what LCHF is about it is more about cutting out or lowering the starchy carbs like bread, potatoes, rice and pasta and perhaps having smaller portions and of course no sugar stuff. If you don't want to eat to much high fat and not everyone does then try good oils like coconut and olive oil and some nuts and avocados if you like them. Try that for a while will be amazed at how it helps lower your levels and weight loss
Thanks for tips will give nuts and olive oil a try.

Reactions: Liam1955 and Prem51

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you -love the cute Kitty picture!
I've had mixed views about the low carb diet, don't know what to think about it, got too much else going on to get my head around but I've certainly not ruled it out, as people on this site seem to be having amazing results. I do need to loose a lot of weight as always been big so it might be a good thing to do and one I haven't tried before concentrating on getting portion sizes right and what to eat/not eat now.
The one benefit of going Low Carb (not necessarily changing fat for now) is that with your meter you should notice an IMMEDIATE improvement in your bgl, and this should give you a good boost to morale. It should also give you encouragement that you can take back control of this beastie at least. Just cutting down on premade foods, and cutting starchy foods such as bread , rice, potatoes, pasta for a while will show on the meter.

Tabbyjoolz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cruelty, bigotry
Welcome, Maggie/Magpie. You are not alone - we're a pretty friendly bunch on here. Ask as many questions as you need to.

I also suffer from depression - have done for 15 years - and take medication. Once I got the diabetes diagnosis two months ago, I thought, "well, that's it then, I'm finished." But luckily I found this site and decided to try the low-carb, high fat diet. After all, the dietary advice the government had been peddling for years hadn't helped me lose weight, so I thought, what the hell, why not.

Apart from losing over two stone from the LCHF diet and exercising I have, so far, not needed to take any meds for diabetes and, as a most brilliant bonus, I have experienced a considerable lightening of mood and a huge increase of energy.

I still have the odd off-day, but I have considerably more good days than I have had for many years.

So there is hope. Stick with us and you may see a massive improvement in your health. :)

Maggie/Magpie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Welcome, Maggie/Magpie. You are not alone - we're a pretty friendly bunch on here. Ask as many questions as you need to.

I also suffer from depression - have done for 15 years - and take medication. Once I got the diabetes diagnosis two months ago, I thought, "well, that's it then, I'm finished." But luckily I found this site and decided to try the low-carb, high fat diet. After all, the dietary advice the government had been peddling for years hadn't helped me lose weight, so I thought, what the hell, why not.

Apart from losing over two stone from the LCHF diet and exercising I have, so far, not needed to take any meds for diabetes and, as a most brilliant bonus, I have experienced a considerable lightening of mood and a huge increase of energy.

I still have the odd off-day, but I have considerably more good days than I have had for many years.

So there is hope. Stick with us and you may see a massive improvement in your health. :)
It's good to hear there's hope at the end of the tunnel because it certainly doesn't feel like it at times. The more I hear about the LCHF diet the more I'm thinking it's worth a try as like you say little else seems to work. I've always found I can loose wight for a bit but have huge problems sticking to it for any length of time as I can't handle the psychological physical change the body goes through, I suddenly become someone else I don't recognise in the mirror, it's not me looking back at me, so I put it all back on again. I think its because I've always been big. But I guess now that all has to change and I will just have to get used to the hopefully altered me when I loose it again. As I have other health problems I also need to loose weight for so I guess it's about time I took the bull by the horns and sorted myself out, I've just got to get my head to believe that.

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It's good to hear there's hope at the end of the tunnel because it certainly doesn't feel like it at times. The more I hear about the LCHF diet the more I'm thinking it's worth a try as like you say little else seems to work. I've always found I can loose wight for a bit but have huge problems sticking to it for any length of time as I can't handle the psychological physical change the body goes through, I suddenly become someone else I don't recognise in the mirror, it's not me looking back at me, so I put it all back on again. I think its because I've always been big. But I guess now that all has to change and I will just have to get used to the hopefully altered me when I loose it again. As I have other health problems I also need to loose weight for so I guess it's about time I took the bull by the horns and sorted myself out, I've just got to get my head to believe that.
Take it one day at a time don't do it all in one go that shocks the body to much it is better to do it slowly cutting out or lowering one thing at a time so your body has time to adapt. It does not need to be to drastic if you lower or cut out the starchy carbs like the bread etc and stop eating anything with refined sugar in like cakes biscuits and pastries it may well be all you need to do. Just doing that works for lots of people we are all very different some here do just moderate carb others very low carb there is no one diet or one level of carbs to suit everyone we all tailor it to suit us personally