Newly Diagnosed Type 2 with Depression

Maggie/Magpie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Butternut Squash, Cabbage and confrontation.
Take it one day at a time don't do it all in one go that shocks the body to much it is better to do it slowly cutting out or lowering one thing at a time so your body has time to adapt. It does not need to be to drastic if you lower or cut out the starchy carbs like the bread etc and stop eating anything with refined sugar in like cakes biscuits and pastries it may well be all you need to do. Just doing that works for lots of people we are all very different some here do just moderate carb others very low carb there is no one diet or one level of carbs to suit everyone we all tailor it to suit us personally
Hi
I've cut out any additional sugar like those found in puddings etc already. I'm now concentrating on portion sizes and getting them right. Next week I think I'm going to concentrate on halfing carbohydrates and see what happens with that. I get weighed tomorrow and visit the diabetic nurse tomorrow so hope she will be able to shed some light on certain things. I've been told about the Desmond course so I will be interested if they do it locally to me as I haven't heard of it around here before, but it would be good to do and gain some more knowledge I feel I learn more with some one actually standing in front of me than reading it my self directly some how it seems to stick in my head more. So if they do do it that would be good. Have you one it if so whats it like?

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi
I've cut out any additional sugar like those found in puddings etc already. I'm now concentrating on portion sizes and getting them right. Next week I think I'm going to concentrate on halfing carbohydrates and see what happens with that. I get weighed tomorrow and visit the diabetic nurse tomorrow so hope she will be able to shed some light on certain things. I've been told about the Desmond course so I will be interested if they do it locally to me as I haven't heard of it around here before, but it would be good to do and gain some more knowledge I feel I learn more with some one actually standing in front of me than reading it my self directly some how it seems to stick in my head more. So if they do do it that would be good. Have you one it if so whats it like?

Your dsn, might not be so knowledgeable about LCHF.
Most of us were given the eat well plate as an example.
There are too many carbs in that diet.
My advice is yes, follow the LCHF diet but do it slowly, reducing your carbs, reducing your plate size, increase your exercise, a little bit more walking everyday. Walking helps with reducing blood glucose levels.
Baby steps.
If you start testing, keep a food diary, and record your every day meal and how your blood glucose levels are in reaction to that food or assortment of food.
You will be surprised at how good the diet is for tasty food, for every food you ate, you can either still eat it, especially protein and vegetables, others you will have to find out.
Controlling your blood glucose levels is the best way to achieve your targets on weight loss and hba1c.
It is a process that will take time and it is now four years since my diagnosis, and I have to eat low carb, I have lost over five stone, have total control of my blood glucose levels, I am fit and healthy, just a pancreas that seems to have license to make me ill! Indeed, if you do get good control, you may be able to eat some of the foods that at this present time you shouldn't.
Best wishes.
You are not on your own, ask questions, gain knowledge and get control.
I had anxiety and a form of depression as a symptom of my condition.
It can be done!

Reactions: Prem51

Maggie/Magpie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Your dsn, might not be so knowledgeable about LCHF.
Most of us were given the eat well plate as an example.
There are too many carbs in that diet.
My advice is yes, follow the LCHF diet but do it slowly, reducing your carbs, reducing your plate size, increase your exercise, a little bit more walking everyday. Walking helps with reducing blood glucose levels.
Baby steps.
If you start testing, keep a food diary, and record your every day meal and how your blood glucose levels are in reaction to that food or assortment of food.
You will be surprised at how good the diet is for tasty food, for every food you ate, you can either still eat it, especially protein and vegetables, others you will have to find out.
Controlling your blood glucose levels is the best way to achieve your targets on weight loss and hba1c.
It is a process that will take time and it is now four years since my diagnosis, and I have to eat low carb, I have lost over five stone, have total control of my blood glucose levels, I am fit and healthy, just a pancreas that seems to have license to make me ill! Indeed, if you do get good control, you may be able to eat some of the foods that at this present time you shouldn't.
Best wishes.
You are not on your own, ask questions, gain knowledge and get control.
I had anxiety and a form of depression as a symptom of my condition.
It can be done!
Hi, I guess if the nurse dosen't know about LCHF diet I might have to try and educate her at some point especially if I take if up myself perminately and as I learn more about it. But your right i'm going to take Baby steps and build up to things gradually. It just feels like there is a lot to get my head round at the moment and I'm going to have to change everything completely - life style, diet etc. So I'm telling myself to tackle one thing at a time, if I can change something every fortnight then I should eventually get there, right? I get weighed tomorrow so will consider tweeking the diet then. My blood sugars seem to be settling down a bit, I'm currently having one high reading around 12 or 4pm but the others are reasonable around 6.8 over the last few days, since I've had my Metformin changed and increased. I know I've been told not to take my BS but how are you meant to know how you are doing or what foods suit if you don't?

Reactions: Prem51

Hiitsme

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It sounds like you're making good progress. It took me several weeks to get a reading under 7. I did find testing helpful as it showed me how I was doing. Probably a little tweak here and there might be all that's needed. There is so much information out there it can seem overwhelming so I would agree take it slowly and hopefully build on your good start.

tim32

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Good luck for Tuesday, If you can let me know how you get on I'll be interested to hear if the low carb diet has helped as I'm seriously considering giving it a try.
Hi Maggie, HBA1C came back today at 47, That's the top end of Pre Diabetic. I'm really pleased with it after all the stress.

Reactions: Prem51 and Oldvatr

Maggie/Magpie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hi Maggie, HBA1C came back today at 47, That's the top end of Pre Diabetic. I'm really pleased with it after all the stress.

Hi Tim,
That's brilliant well done.
I saw the D nurse today, it went well, seems really knowledgeable about everything even LCHF diet. Being referred for the X-pert course; seems to be the only one they do here; also for eye scan and podiatry clinic. Also lost 4lb's so that's 11lb's in last 4 weeks so really pleased. Got another appointment in a month in case I have more questions etc.
Hope your next HBA1C test is even better.
Maggie

tim32

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Tim,
That's brilliant well done.
I saw the D nurse today, it went well, seems really knowledgeable about everything even LCHF diet. Being referred for the X-pert course; seems to be the only one they do here; also for eye scan and podiatry clinic. Also lost 4lb's so that's 11lb's in last 4 weeks so really pleased. Got another appointment in a month in case I have more questions etc.
Hope your next HBA1C test is even better.
Maggie
Hi Maggie, Fantastic weight loss, keep up the good work, The nurse was not to happy about my LCHF diet, so i asked her to explain what was so bad, Weight down cholesterol down HbA1c down, She could not answer. They must have a script. Great that your nurse knew about it.

Reactions: amber22 and Prem51

Maggie/Magpie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hi Maggie, Fantastic weight loss, keep up the good work, The nurse was not to happy about my LCHF diet, so i asked her to explain what was so bad, Weight down cholesterol down HbA1c down, She could not answer. They must have a script. Great that your nurse knew about it.

Maggie/Magpie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Yeah really pleased she was so up to date, thought like you I would get a negative response, the only thing she commemted on was I should change to butter and be a little careful on the amount of cream I use. She also praised me for joining this forum. So in comparison I was really lucky.

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi
No I have not done the course they are held to far from where I live but I do believe people find it helpful

Maggie/Magpie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
No I have not done the course they are held to far from where I live but I do believe people find it helpful
Hi
The course they do here is the X-pert course but i have to admit I wasn't expecting there to be one either as I live on an Island. So was pleased there was, although apparently there is a waiting list for it. Iv'e asked to be put on the list as I believe the more knowledge you have can only be a good thing.
Maggie

Reactions: Prem51 and Oldvatr

Maggie/Magpie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hi All,
Thought I'd up date you. Saw my GP today. Lost 3lb's in weight. Also been told I now may have Hypothyroidism TFT's 6.9.
Have to be re-tested in December. Is there anything else they can throw at me. Some how it's too much information, not coping with it all. Can anyone help?
Maggie

Nuck

Maggie
I'm lucky I have never got depressed. I lost my job in the fleet air arm when I was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes in 1998. I retrained and have not looked back. I have a stressful job and under pressure to deliver 24/7. I work as hard as I can but never take things too personally. I also have come to understand that people do what people do, I never waste time trying to understand why. I live by these motto's

1. Only changing the things I can change
2. Don't worry what other people think or say
3. I never make mistakes I make decisions (you can't undo what is done)

My friend phoned me a year ago, he was in tears. He was the pork burrito king and carrying a bit of extra timber. I dropped what I was doing and met him for lunch. Two hours and a 101 on what diabetes was I told him to go on a diet. He did and the next time we met I never recognised him. His HBA1C was normalised and still is but he knows he may never be out of the woods.

I am lonely as my friends are few. I moved away from home when I joined the Navy so ended with no school friends. May Navy pals are spread all over but I am the one that makes the effort to keep in touch. My father died last year and my brother two weeks ago. That said my glass is still half full and so should yours.

Reactions: Geri0463

Nuck

Hi there and welcome to the forum. You will certainly be noticed and no worries about you thread title. You have already done the two most important things to get control of diabetes. You have a meter and are testing and you have found us :). Daisy1 has been tagged and she will post an information packet once she gets the tag. There is a lot of very good information in her post about diabetes and diet and how to use diet and your meter to get control. A lot of people on this site use a low carb and higher fat way of eating which will help control blood sugar and also help you lose weight if you need to. In the meantime read through threads and soak it all in. It takes a bit of time to wrap your head around it all but you will get there.

Yep, low carb high protein with fats (but the right ones). Cut bread, rice and pasta and then no guessing how much insulin I need. For breakfast I have scrambled eggs, mushrooms and sausage (sometimes) and almost no insulin. Lunch 1/2 chicken and salad almost no insulin. My muscle was has increased and I lost weight.

Reactions: Geri0463

Maggie/Magpie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hi All,
Just a quick update. Tuesday I saw my GP, he felt I was improving slightly. Saw the Shrink yesterday and he's offered me ECT again for my depression, I adamantly refused again. You see I saw it in person thirty years ago, it was barbaric. He says things have changed and they probably have but I can't get past what I saw. So its not for me.
I've created a new post to discuss it yesterday, so if anyone has any experiences of ECT I'd like your opinions good or bad, so when he asks me again in three months time I can give him an informed decision rather than just my gut reaction with nothing much to back it up.
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/type-2-depressive-having-a-bad-day-ect-or-not.113038/
Yesterday was one of my worst days. I was really poorly, so I'm not surprised that he offered it again. But as i explained to him I have a lot going on at the moment, including trying to get my head around being diabetic and it being christmas. My first christmas without my eldest daughter who has recently moved to New Zealand, so it's going to be very different this year and its begining to get to me as we creep ever closer to the big day.
Anyway having bloods done again next week for both HBA1C and thyroid (another thing I may need to get my head around after Christmas).
Everything is pilling on top, so I guess I'm not coping as well as I could be. I just feel I'm going back down hill and I can't afford to do that emotionally, especially as my youngest daughter is coming home this year and bringing two of her friend's. I shall be on my own christmas day though as they will be going to spend it at her fathers. Were have our day on boxing day, like a lot of split families.
Any way enough of boring you all stupid and feeling sorry for myself.
Can't cope with any more here have to go
Maggie

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Had a good look, thanks for link, still not certain as there's a lot I would't like to eat ie cottage cheese hate the texture as well as the taste but I guess thats personal taste. Will ask diabetic nurse about it Tuesday. How flexible can it be?
don't eat cottage cheese - it is higher carb than nicer ones - double that of cream cheese or ordinary cheddar.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Can anyone tell me why my blood sugars seem to be lower when I go to bed and yet raised in the morning when I get up, yet I've eaten nothing all evening or over night. Logically surely they should be lower again in the morning? Been puzzling over it a few days now it dosen't make sense to me.
Your liver is the source of glucose most of the time - food makes the spikes after eating but the background level is from the liver.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Don't worry about being hypothyroid - if you are diagnosed with it you'll just need to take a tablet or three each day and have it checked every six months or so. I've been taking Thyroxine for years, and it seems to work perfectly. I also have sleep apnoea. I have a CPAP machine I use at night, also no problem. If you need these things then it is a bit of a nuisance when you go off to stay elsewhere, but they give you a far better quality of life that if you try to ignore them.

Maggie/Magpie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Don't worry about being hypothyroid - if you are diagnosed with it you'll just need to take a tablet or three each day and have it checked every six months or so. I've been taking Thyroxine for years, and it seems to work perfectly. I also have sleep apnoea. I have a CPAP machine I use at night, also no problem. If you need these things then it is a bit of a nuisance when you go off to stay elsewhere, but they give you a far better quality of life that if you try to ignore them.

Thanks Resurgam for the reassurance.
Can I ask is the CPAP machine noisy?
I guess one of my real concerns is I'm claustrophobic so I'm concerned with having to wear the mask. I know I will have to get used to it but I'm not sure I can?
Maggie

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks Resurgam for the reassurance.
Can I ask is the CPAP machine noisy?
I guess one of my real concerns is I'm claustrophobic so I'm concerned with having to wear the mask. I know I will have to get used to it but I'm not sure I can?
Maggie
The modern machines are very quiet, and the mask only goes over your nose, and is on elastic straps with Velcro fastenings, so if you did feel you needed to take it off it is not difficult to do so. I found it very easy to get used to even with the older one I had, but the equipment has improved a great deal with better masks and the smaller quieter machines. I did ask to be shown how to adjust my machine so I could increase or reduce the pressure - I found that in the winter in particular some nights I felt that it was pushing cold air into me too hard, or when I had a cold it was not strong enough to allow me to breathe properly.