Newly diagnosed Type 2

LorraineKay

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Pain, lack of sleep, lockdown.
Diagnosed last week, still waiting for meds they told me I would be on. Diabetes caused by long term use of steroids and antibiotics as well as genetic. I am 73yrs and a wheelchair user, due to several other medical problems. Not a lot of activity and only eat frozen foods, delivered weekly. Wonder what do I do no!

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Diagnosed last week, still waiting for meds they told me I would be on. Diabetes caused by long term use of steroids and antibiotics as well as genetic. I am 73yrs and a wheelchair user, due to several other medical problems. Not a lot of activity and only eat frozen foods, delivered weekly. Wonder what do I do no!
Hello @LorraineKay ,

Sorry to hear about your diagnosis. The frozen meals may complicate things a bit, and you haven't mentioned what medication they plan to put you on, but maybe this'll be of some help: https://josekalsbeek.blogspot.com/2019/11/the-nutritional-thingy.html

I don't know whether a radical change in diet is feasible for you, considering the circumstances. Still, it's probably not all frozen meals all the time? Out of the three meals a day you have? Is full fat greek yoghurt with (frozen/thawed) berries and maybe coconut shavings or something, an option for breakfast? Maybe eggs and bacon? If you have someone to prepare stuff for you, eggs can be whisked and put in a muffin tray with cheese, bacon, sausage, whatever you like in them, and frozen for a week or so in advance, to microwave at a later date. All in all, for a T2, the carbs are the problem. All of them, so not just the sugary stuff like cookies, cake and what have you. Bread, potatoes, pasta, rice, cereal and corn are all problematic for people like us. If you can cut back and instead, up the fats and protein some (Meat, fish, dairy, poultry, eggs etc), that could well make quite the difference for you.

Good luck!
Jo

Reactions: LorraineKay

LorraineKay

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
I love chicken, mackerel, sliced salmon and boiled eggs.

LorraineKay

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
My glucose levels are between 4.4 first thing upto about 9.8 after my last meal but I seem to be having hypos every afternoon between 1.30 and 5pm, dont know why as figures seem ok.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My glucose levels are between 4.4 first thing upto about 9.8 after my last meal but I seem to be having hypos every afternoon between 1.30 and 5pm, dont know why as figures seem ok.
Have you measured your blood sugar when experiencing these "hypos"?