Newly Diagnosed type 2

Grungysquash

Type of diabetes
Type 2
At the moment in checking twice a day - forgot this morning a tad busy but I always check when I
get home - lunch never has more than flat bread on a wrap. I often skip breakfast - yes I know shouldn't skip breakfast but I'm a busy lad!!! And breakfast is normally weetbix no sugar - no time to cook anything anyway.

Reactions: 5 people

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anti-Gay People, Self Centre People, Two Faced People and Bad Language.
@Grungysquash - You could have a pot of Greek Yoghurt for breakfast. Or boil some eggs the night before and eat 1 -2 for breakfast.

Grungysquash

Type of diabetes
Type 2
So I'm into another week - diet is still holding DG is now around 6 - 8 more toward the low 6's in the evening - sometimes into the high 5's in the morning around low 7's which seems odd to me I seem to go up overnight - I've checked myself after dinner and I've been less than what I am in the morning. Still overall I'm happy with the results. More blood tests today - but pretty happy with the results so far.

Reactions: 2 people

Grungysquash

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi all - just thought I'd update you all. So now it's been about 6 or maybe 8 weeks since I found out I was a type 2 - and hit a DG of 25.

Well now I'm holding steady at between 5.3 - 8 depending on testing and eating.

Hardest part has been ignoring all the sweets I would have eaten with joy in the past. Diet is holding I'm eating a few but very few carbs. Potatoes has been the hardest - love my spuds but they don't love me back. Found some sweet potato crisps which I eat every now and again. Still prefer the good old salt and vinegar but what can you do.

I've lost about 10kg so far now around 103kg - waist size also shrunk, into 96cm waist.

After I brought my new super fast motorbike I managed to get pinged for excessive speed. So forced exercise with a new push bike and 30km round trip to work starting soon. They say evey cloud has a silver lining!!

Still on meatiform 1000mg but with continued focus on diet and now enforcement of exercise I'll see further reductions in weight and possibly better control.

So thanks for the forum its helped keep me focused on my goal to reverse this disease.

Reactions: 6 people

Grungysquash

Type of diabetes
Type 2
So now into month 3 - I've got my BG under pretty good control now.

Diet has held firm average about 7 when highs and lows are taken into account.

However with the new exercise regime its having a big impact. Got home last night after riding and tested at 4.1 BG normally I would be in the mid 5s.

Riding every second day to build fitness before going full time finding my legs are stuffed afterwards - pushing myself pretty hard lucky we have a shower at work.

I'm now around 100kg am 1.85m tall so BMI is still overweight - need to lose another 10kg I think.

If I can shift the weight I'm hoping I can control this with diet.

Reactions: 7 people

Grungysquash

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Ok so been to the doctor this morning after have the next round of blood tests.

Results are in
In Feb HbA1c result 11.9
Now HbA1c result 6.3

Fasting results
3-2-16 - 17.2
8-2-16 - 25.9
Dignosed - as type 2
22-3-16 - 8.3
5-5.16 - 5.8

So heading down, next steps is retest in 3 months - if in normal range then removal of meds and retest 3 months later. If in 6 months my results are normal. I'm going to be known as formally a diabetic.

Now it's not been an easy trip - my diet has really changed - exercise is now a part of my life one I'm going to have to maintain. I'm now cycling to work every second day doing 31 ks per day or 93ks per week.

Now I'm not yet cured - however the future is looking good as long as my discipline remains.

So there is hope to everyone - you can reverse and control this - its possible - don't let it control you.

Sirmione

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Donald Trump
Great progress indeed using the tools of diet and exercise but remember and try not become too dependant on any one of these.
Also avoiding Weetabix might get your numbers down lower and also if you continue to buy it be careful to avoid own brand immitations as some of these contain sugars.

Grungysquash

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Ok so everything was looking great until I had a weekend away. BG took off I think my curse being pizza was my downfall suddenly went crazy hit over 10 which I've never hit for some time. Took 3 days to get it back into control.

Managed to hit 4.8 after today's trip home, I really need to make sure I eat something earlier in the week during the day had no breakfast or lunch - cycled home and still hit 8.7. then had dinner and dropped to 6.7.

Then today I got wipped out by a car - I'm ok just road rash but reminds me to be more careful on the bike!!!

PenfoldAPD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Gosh @Grungysquash hope you are ok. As for the wobble with the pizza, I've learnt myself we all have them (I ate McDs today), it happens - don't beat yourself up too much, just retain the control you had and you will be fine!

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum

Devonbear

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Great to hear that it's having the desired effect! If you really need pizza, why don't you try making your own "bread pizza" using low-carb bread? Half a Lidl high protein roll, or maybe a slice of Livelife low carb bread, with cheese, tomato and whatever else you fancy chucked on and stuck under a grill? I can happily live without pizza, so I've never tried it, but I'm sure it would be fairly straightforward. The toppings are the good bit, anyway, right?!

Grungysquash

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Yep now back in control - really surprised me how my sugar levels suddenly took off. Thought with the weight I'd lost would have given me some protection.

Waist is now around 36 weight about 98kg still going down probably another 5kg to go which is fine.

I'm to lazy to make my own pizza - my cooking skills are not the best - that's why I married a good cook!!

Grungysquash

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Wow - think I now know what it's like to have low BG rode home on the bike today - absolutely shattered thought this can't be right checked my BG - 3.9 - guess it kinda explains why I'm stuffed!!

Devonbear

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Although not as bad as high BG, low BG is still pretty bad for you so be careful. You either need a bit of slow acting carb, or better still get your carbs down and your fat up to a ketogenic level so you're burning fat instead of glucose. Might be worth going to your GP for a review of medication, although as I understand it metformin shouldn't push you too low.

Grungysquash

Type of diabetes
Type 2
So a further 2 weeks on - BG after work is now in the low 5s or high 4's as a rule. Still cycling every day to work which is tiring but need to keep it up. Weight has not moved I'm holding 98kg which is a tad annoying still careful with diet but I'm now adding in small amounts of carbs - maybe a bit if rice or wraps. Overall I think I'm tracking OK - hoping for a better blood test in 2 months. Then off the meds if I'm lucky!!

Grungysquash

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Ok so latest update - just been to the doctor and had the next round of testing

HbA1c = 5.7 or 39mmol/mol

So now in the normal range - cholesterol has also reduced now total = 4.7 I'm not taking any medication for cholesterol, but have dropped this from 5.7 in Feb

Dr wants me to remain on Metformin for the next 3 months - retest in December and if remaining on track will look to reduce or remove Metformin currently on 1000mg.

This trip has not been easy - I've lost around 18kg weight holding at 98kg - have now introduced some carbs just avoiding mainly bread.

Cycling remains my main exercise cycle to Work every second day doing about 32km per day at a hard pace - averaging around 27km/h now.

You can reverse this disease - it's not easy - my journey still remains my first HbA1c test in Feb this year was 11.9 - so not good.

I'm not yet cured - I'm in good control but I must remain committed to the regime of constant diet and exercise.

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Well done on your great reductions on HbA1c and weight @Grungysquash!:) It's always good to hear success stories. I've got my 12 month review on Thursday, with my HbA1c blood test next week and I hope I can get similar results to you.
Thanks for keeping us updated!

PeterGC

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I had same surprise myself at 63 as I also have copd I was so non-plused when the nurse told me to loose half a kilo by exercising no matter I can't do it but say I've tried

Grungysquash

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I'm not proposing loosing the weight is easy - it's been bloody hard for me. When I get up and look at the bike at 6am I'm not enthused to jump on it. But I figure I've 2 options -

1 - die early - easy to do nothing I'm 47 so I guess die by 60 could easily be achieved, just ignore diet do nothing and let the suger slowly destroy my organs

2 - lose weight - not easy requires some effort to change behavior - either diet or exercise or both.

As they say - the choice is yours to make. Just don't complain when they amputate your foot, just like a smoker - it's your choice to do nothing, puff on that cigarette - I don't judge, it's your life just don't complain to me when the consequences come home to roost.

Anyone can go for a walk, reduce carbs, modify your diet - maybe u can't run, maybe you have an injury but unless your seriously disabled I believe everyone can do something. The only thing stopping you - is you!!

Grungysquash

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Ok so now I'm 12 months in with this disease - had my last round of blood tests........

The results are in - well it's hard to maintain a diet that's for sure so I'm now eating carbs just kinda still careful - mind you I just had a bowl of hot chips so there u go.

Ok so long term on 5.6 which is 0.1 down from the test in August.....

However I've been working to many hours normally around 10 - 14 per day so my bike riding has pretty much stopped found it to dam hard to ride when the temps are over 30dec and I've done a full day.

And the bad - fasting result was 6.8 - chose a bad morning that's my excuse, so still on meds Dr wants me to lose another 5kg so weight is holding at about 95kg I drop to 94 and up to 96kg depending on when I weight myself.

So now it's probably a personal trainer - can't think of another way to lose 5kg dropping from 120ish to 95 has been tough but I think the drop of 5 more is going to be harder :(

Reactions: Liam1955

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anti-Gay People, Self Centre People, Two Faced People and Bad Language.
Hello @Grungysquash - The LCHF Diet (Low Carb High Fat) is very popular with Forum Members - they loose weight, lower their HBA1C result and lowers their daily blood sugars too.
Want to have a read on it? Will dig out the website address if you want:)