Newly diagnosed type1 6 year old

countblue82

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi my daughter has this week been diagnosed with type 1 diabetes, bit of a shock for us all but hey it's not the end of the world and she is as good as gold... Zoe (my daughter) has taken to it pretty well and from we left hospital has been fine with her blood tests and insulin jabs!

On to say hi and hopefully get a few wee pointers along the way to make this as easy for Zoe as we can! Thanks for reading and in advance of any info

Cheers (Zoe's dad) Colin

Reactions: 2 people

Matthew-G-Bell

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People walking slowly in hallways.
Hello

I am 15, I was diagnosed as Type 1 in 2010, so I've been diabetic for almost 6 years.
I was 10 years old when I was diagnosed, I think the key here is to remind her that you are there for her.

Good to hear she is fine blood tests and injections, it took me 2 weeks before I did my first injection!

Another piece of advice, if you have any questions, ask the team at your checkup appointments.

Feel free to message me if you need anything :)

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Welcome to the forum Colin.

I'm so pleased Zoe is coping well, this must be such a relief for you all. Best wishes.

danni2001

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I was 3 years old and I know it's hard to take in I've had diabetes for 11 years now and I'm 14 if u need advice or someone to talk about it I'm here to help you

Hollipop0014

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm 15, diagnosed 2 and a half years ago. If need anything just message me, can't promise I'll know all the answers but then again who does

endocrinegremlin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People telling me how to control my diabetes. My health. Isms. People walking their dogs off leads in illegal areas. Meat that bleeds. Late buses.
I was 6 at the time too. It is a 'good' age to be diagnosed if there is one. I think she is old enough to understand the important points but young enough that in time she will not remember life before D and therefore will probably adjust to diet juices and such more easily...if she was on full sugar varieties before of course. Advice...try involve her with all stages. Make it into a game. You will need to weigh her food to give her insulin so why not get her to put the food on the scales? Give her a sticker chart to learn which foods need insulin and which don't? Make a HUGE deal of the fact that she will now have a section of the fridge ALL FOR HER. That is AMAZING when you are 6.