Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Racists, Marmite and Gurkins.
Result NameResult ValueResult UnitsReference RangeStatus
Glucose (Fasting)14.5mmol/L( 3.8-6.0 )H
Glycated Hb (HbA1c)116mmol/mol( 20-42 )H

Hi

I've posted my initial bloods above, this is from about 6 weeks ago.
As you can see a bit of a shock to say the least. (my doctor was pretty freaked out too!)

I'm in my late 40's , male and 14.5 stone/5.11, ex smoker 6 years.

I've already made some major diet changes and weight is coming off but I've managed to stay relatively fit by jogging over the years, 3 times a week, 40 mins.

Now obviously I'm no Mo Farah given my current predicament but I really enjoy my run however my feet are killing me at the moment! a classic symptom of type 2 right?
Hot and stinging at night and during the day and really sensitive.

I'm going to change my runners to something more padded and invest in quality socks.

Has anyone else found this? I'll be gutted if I can't run :-(

Currently on 2x 500mg Metformin per day.
Next blood test in 2 weeks (fasting).

Just the the year from hell (marriage break up & close family bereavement) so stress levels through the roof but .. coming out other side now and life starting to get back on track, determined to not let this mess things up now!

K

Reactions: 2 people

Mazzer

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi K, sorry to hear that you are having a difficult time at the moment, just take it easy and don't panic, you have come to the right place for some good advice and support. Learn as much as you can, but don't try to take it in all at once, you have plenty of time it is early days yet.

Having high blood glucose levels cause all sorts of problems and one of them is hot, stinging, sensitive feet. Once you get your bg down this will get better. Have a good look round this site and come back and ask any questions, there are a lot of knowledgeable members on here to help you get to grips with your condition, everyone is different so what works for one doesn't necessarily work for another. We are a friendly bunch and all in the same boat, so you are not alone.

Do you have a meter?
What changes to your diet have your made?

Marilyn

caulfiek

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Racists, Marmite and Gurkins.
Hi Marilyn

Thanks for the post, that's good to know theres support out there, yes it's a bit overwhelming but as you say got to take each step at a time.

I've cut out all sweets, chocolate and cereals with high or med sugar. OMG I've never really paid that much attention to sugar levels but it's crazy isn't it? Even the so called diet and low fat foods are stacked with sugar!!!
Bread has gone pretty much, as has white pasta and rice.
The last and very least (not!) is beer :-( which I'm now starting to face up to and get sorted.

What is a meter?

K

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi and welcome

A meter is an essential piece of kit to help you take control of your blood sugars. It is a meter that you use to test your own blood sugar levels at home by pricking your finger and applying a drop of blood to a strip, which the meter then reads and tells you your level at that moment in time. Most NHS doctors and nurses will tell you there is no need for Type 2 diabetics to test and will not provide you with a meter, but this is rubbish as everyone on here will tell you. If your GP/nurse won't give you one, you need to buy your own. You can use it to test out what certain foods do to your levels - you will be in for some surprises!

Baby steps to begin with. It is a steep learning curve, but you can get those levels down if you take control. Your medication won't do it for you.

Firstly, cut out all cereals, low sugar or not. It isn't the sugar that counts, it is the total carbohydrate content that counts. Ignore the "of which sugars" on the whole. All carbs turn to sugar once inside the system, some much faster than others. Carbs = Sugar. You have done right in cutting out all the sweets and so on, but you must also pay great attention to potatoes, rice, pasta, bread and anything made with flour. (no matter what colour they may be) Good idea to cut out the beer, which is not at all good.

Have a good browse round the forums and come back with your questions. Good luck.

Reactions: 4 people

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
On the exercise question, have you considered bike riding?
If your feet are troubling you then pounding them into the pavement may not be the best strategy, but regular exercise is a very good thing.
Riding a bike takes away the high impact on your feet, but can be better than brisk walking to get the juices flowing and the aerobic fitness up.
It does depend a lot on where you live - some places, especially inner cities, are not particularly 'bike friendly'.

I am not one to favour static equipment in gyms, but in the short term running on a running machine can be kinder to your feet than running on solid ground, and there are static bikes and rowing machines which can help give you an all round workout.

I started out at 14.5 stone and 6' 0"
I am still six foot but (after a good few years of learning what is good for me and doing various not sensible things) I am now below 12 stone and generally a lot better for it.
On a note of encouragement, the quicker you can shift your weight the more likely you are to see dramatic results in your BG.
However most people struggle to take on board just how much of the 'average' diet is not good for diabetics.

Enjoy the forum - loads of good info and support here.

Cheers

LGC

Reactions: 4 people