Newly diagnosed with steroid induced diabetes

td13

I would also welcome any advice on steroid induced diabetes. I was diagnosed in August following extended courses of prednisone for palindromic arthritis - was alerted by hospital registrar when admitted to deal with cellulitis. I cannot take NSAIDs as on blood thinners for AF. I also have COPD and moderate (drug controlled) high blood pressure. Since I received no warning about risk of diabetes risk I spent March to August (lock down) on a very high carbohydrate diet (difficulties with food deliveries in rural area). Apart from being shouted at over the phone by a GP I have never met that it was all my fault for refusing to take DMARDS (all of which also require either NSAIDs for pain control or steroids or both - he clearly had not read the notes and thought palindromic arthritis destroyed the joints - it doesn't unless you are one of the 20% which subsequently developes RA)

I have received no support save for an HB1AC from a nurse who insisted it covered only 2 weeks and not 3 months (and wore her mask with her nose exposed) and another who said "Keep it below 10 and you won't come to much harm". I immediately put myself on a very low carb diet (Michael Mosely book - trying for 20g carb and 800 cals tho' with some overshoots. I have since then lost 11 kilos (now at 82 at 5ft 9inches). I am a keen gadenerwith a smallholding so not entirely sedentary altho the pain levels and breathlessness do not allow me to do as much as I would like and it all has to be done slowly. In so far as I can judge, give the variability of the BG measurements, exercise, such as 10 mins gently peddling on spinning bike, puts it up.

My fasting bloods haven't been too bad but are inconsistent - to start I saw a steady decline to the low 4s from higher 7s but they are now increasing to 6s and 7s. (I bought a meter straight away). I take my steroids, which I am tapering off by 2.5mg a fortnight, currently on 30mg in the morning. I note that my BG rises (and more rarely falls) throughout the day in a manner often unassociated with food - yesterday it hit 13.5 2 hours after 167 cals including 10.7 carbs. I have been given no target scores or drugs for the diabetes. Sorry to mention anything so vulgar but I am struggling with the dreaded keto constipation despite consumption of added fibre and masses of leafy veg (not a prob I have ever had before). I also have oedema tot he lower leg altho pleased to note that a blue toe had gone pink again and I think that some of the spider's webs on the legs are fading a bit.

After a bit of negotiation with the dragon - sorry - receptionist - I have arranged a Hb1AC for tomorrow and a nurse telecon for 3rd Nov. Any suggestions regarding what to ask/demand/scream about welcome. Similarly any advice on reversing the wretched condition or ameliorating its deleterious effects also welcome.

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi and welcome. I hate prednisolone, I had to have insulin to control my levels. You have definitely done the right thing by getting a meter and drastically cutting carbs.

Download the mysugr app and record the food you eat and your numbers before you eat and two hours after the first bite. You are looking for a rise of no more than 2.

We are not a bad bunch, ask as many questions as you like. Start a new thread, you will get more attention.

td13

Hi and welcome. I hate prednisolone, I had to have insulin to control my levels. You have definitely done the right thing by getting a meter and drastically cutting carbs.

Download the mysugr app and record the food you eat and your numbers before you eat and two hours after the first bite. You are looking for a rise of no more than 2.

We are not a bad bunch, ask as many questions as you like. Start a new thread, you will get more attention.
Thank you for your response - at 73 I am not a great relier on apps - I use digital scales and a note book. Not sure how to stat a new thread - tried copying text to another steroid related thread and the site said it would not do that as it looked like spam.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you for your response - at 73 I am not a great relier on apps - I use digital scales and a note book. Not sure how to stat a new thread - tried copying text to another steroid related thread and the site said it would not do that as it looked like spam.

I could move it for you. Just confirm and I’ll do that.

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If you get any grief from your surgery about diet, smile sweetly and then do your own thing.

Reactions: td13