Newly diagnosed with type 1

Jenniferp82

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Sept 7th 2017 in hospital I was newly diagnosed with diabetes type 1. With insluin iv drip and antibotics for my kidney infection and huge kidney stone inside my left kidney, currently on abasaglar and novo rapid. Plus been epileptic for 21 years which is controlled with medication. I am due operation very soon due my health conditions. Adjusting to life with epilepsy and diabetes. But I carry my bumbag with my insluin and glucose tablets and blood sugar monitor also. Pretty organised incase of a hypo.

Jo_the_boat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Jennifer and welcome.
There's plenty of support available on here if you feel you need it, in particular practical support from other T1s and morally from the likes of me (T2). There's lots of encouraging and supportive reading here too.
Best of luck

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Hi. Having your kit with you is a great move, welcome to the forum.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. It can't be easy. When you have the operation do discuss with the surgeon/anaesthetist how your insulin will be managed. I always hang on to my insulin and do my own injections with their agreement. Be careful if sliding scale insulin is intended as this can be bad news if the nurse managing it is too busy or doesn't understand how to use it.

Deanoh

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes ;)
Welcome to the forum Jennifer!

I'm also recently diagnosed T1, people on the forum are great and everyone chips in when help is needed :)
Good luck with your op!

Jenniferp82

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Got my operation on Tuesday 12th December get my 22mm by 24mm stone out my kidney. Was told at clinic scale or either type 1 or 2 diabetes difficult to tell due my kidney stone. They say might temporary due my stone. Anesthesiologist given instructions for day I get admitted how much long last insluin to take. Packed my bag just pack Open University papers try do work while in hospital