Newly diagnosed

Annewalks

I am newly diagnosed To and it's difficult getting head round and like u I have had high readings. I tend not to worry about what others are doing as it's what I am doing that's going to be important to me. You need to research and make notes on what you can eat and put to one side what you can't eat. I have always exercised and eaten well but still find myself in this situation. I look at it although I am it happy being diagnosed with this illness I am grateful that I gave the opportunity to do something about it to rectify. It's in your own hands. Good luck and I am sure u will manage to get to grip of it

Tanmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Last night I had large rib eye steak with a mushroom and cream source along with some stir-fry asparagus. There are lots of low carb treats to choose from……

I can also now eat sweat potatoes without my BG going out of control, not an everyday food, but a very nice treat. When I first had type2, they would have sent my BG very high.
How long did it take for you to get your bloods under control and what medication xx

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
OK am just crying now I can't do this.

Oh sweetheart, you can do this. It just takes time to get your head round it, and takes time to gather all the knowledge you need. Please don't compare yourself and your levels with others. Every one of us is at a different stage, with different metabolisms, different medications, different everything.

What is the MAIN thing you think you can't do?

Tanmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Oh sweetheart, you can do this. It just takes time to get your head round it, and takes time to gather all the knowledge you need. Please don't compare yourself and your levels with others. Every one of us is at a different stage, with different metabolisms, different medications, different everything.

What is the MAIN thing you think you can't do?
It feels like I don't know what I can eat or variations I don't want to be eating the same food for the rest of my life xx

woodywhippet61

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Tanmc I am concerned that you got so upset last night.

I had a jacket potato soon after diagnosis it sent my BG soaring up as well. I have chosen not to have another one since then. But at some point I will give it another go when I'm going to walk for a couple of hours after eating it. Walking helps keep my bg down.

3 months after changing my diet I have found that I can eat peas, broad beans, berry fruits, 10-12 cherries AND a couple of small new potatoes soaked in butter all without any spike in bg. I suspect that I could eat a sandwich as long as I went walking afterwards.

So just because you are eating something that spiked your bg today it might not several months down the line. The only way that you will know what effect food and exercise has on your bg is to test. Testing empowered me and enabled me to make decisions about what I eat and how I exercise. A lot of us on here talk about eating low carb but I bet that most of us eat very different amounts of carbs.

It's up to you how fast you change your diet or even IF you change your diet at all. It's your life and you owe it to yourself to live it as you want to.

Oddly enough though I too ate steak with a double cream and mushroom sauce and veg last night.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It feels like I don't know what I can eat or variations I don't want to be eating the same food for the rest of my life xx

Tell us what you do like to eat. List all the foods you like, and all the foods you don't like. Then maybe we can make some suggestions.

Reactions: woodywhippet61

woodywhippet61

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Has daisy been tagged in for you? Have you found the low carb diet program on the main diabetes.co.uk web page. That might be a good place to start.

@daisy1

Last edited:

Tanmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Crisps
Noodles
Potato mashed/baked
Curry
Pizza
Garlic sauce
Cheese
Crumpets
Toast
Sausages
Burgers

francis1971

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Tanmc.
I too was only diagnosed in August this year. I felt out of my depth. I have found I cannot have rice, pasta, potato, bread as it sends my blood glucose through the roof. I took on board all everything that was said to me by the brilliant people on this forum.
I am now much more controlled with diet. It took about 2 weeks to get used to a complete diet change.
If I'm honest I don't miss the old diet at all. I bought the carbs and cals book and that really helped with identifying what carbs are in food.
I wish you all the luck with your journey.

Reactions: ringi

Tanmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Have a loot at https://phcuk.org/sugar/ there a set of graphics that shows how much suger different foods conerted into. I have included the one below that covers potatos.

Until you get some control, you need to live on eggs, "meat that looks like meat", "fish that looks like fish" and veg that grows above ground. Forgeet everything you have been told about fats, apart from trans-fats (common in fast food and ready meals), fats are OK and do not put up your BG.

So ham, egs and cheese with a some green veg or salad would be a good meal for you.

PS what drinks to you tend to have?

Common-Foods-Sugar-Equivalent-Infographic.jpg
I drink soda water and coffee with no sugar. Also of out gin and tonic xx

Lally123

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Be careful tanmc. If on gliclazide you will need to eat some.carbs or you will go low which can be dangerous. So if you want to try a very low carb diet as suggested above that's fine but I would be very wary of taking gliclazide as you are sure to go hypo as your body will be producing more insulin.

woodywhippet61

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Be careful tanmc. If on gliclazide you will need to eat some.carbs or you will go low which can be dangerous. So if you want to try a very low carb diet as suggested above that's fine but I would be very wary of taking gliclazide as you are sure to go hypo as your body will be producing more insulin.

If she needs to eat carbs why is she going high when eating a jacket potato? That was her original issue. It's okay I've found your original reply and you've explained how it affects you and how you take it.

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I drink soda water and coffee with no sugar. Also of out gin and tonic xx

Tonic water can have a lot of sugar in it, so check what the bottle says.

I used to drink a lot of cappuccinos I now most have a Americanos with cream, as they have a lot fewer carbs.

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2

Everyone who is on Gliclazide should have been given a blood glucose meter, most people on Gliclazide also have high BG. Therefore just measure BG often and slowly reduce the carbs, then get the Gliclazide dose reduced when BG start to come down to normal levels. If the Gliclazide is making you eat carbs, then remove the problem, rather then creating more problems by eating carbs.

(Or if you are more of a rebel and are 100% committed to low carbs, reduce the Gliclazide dose whenever you start to get BG readings below 8.)

Last edited:

Lally123

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Everyone who is on gliclazide should have been given a blood glucose meter, most people on glucose also have high BG. Therefore just measure BG often and slowly reduce the carbs, then get the glucose dose reduced when BG start to come down to normal levels. If the gliclazide is making you eat carbs, then remove the problem, rather then creating more problems by eating carbs.

(Or if you are more of a rebel and are 100% committed to low carbs, reduce the gliclazide dose whenever you start to get BG readings below 8.)
Agree but tanmc is newly diagnosed and confused about what to eat. Time to reduce carbs, if that's what she wants to do, in the future but I think her immediate priority is getting used to the whole diabetes thing and most importantly staying safe! I think.she has a meter because she tested after her potato!

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
How long did it take for you to get your bloods under control and what medication xx

Starting with a BG of 34.....
Stopping drinking orange juice, it come down to about 17 over 3 days.
Then meds were prescribed.

14 days of gliclazide, that I stopped without GP approval after 10 days as my BG had come down so much. Given what I now know I would not have taken gliclazide, and just fasted for 48hs instead.

Metformin 1g a day - due to all of its benefits I do not mind taking it for life, however, it does not reduce BG much on its own.

Due to low carb my BG is now under 6 2hr after all meals, with a fasting BG of about 6. It come down to these levels within a few weeks, but it was a few months before I risked eating food like potatoes, and now I will not have such high carb food more than 2 times in a week. Likewise, if I eat a slice of cake or have some high-fat ice cream my BG is back to normal within 2hr, but once again I can't risk eating these often.

I have also lost over 1 stone, and at least 2inches on waist size, without trying to reduce how much I eat.

I found that a walk after each meal helped control BG, even a 10-minute walk can have a big effect.

Reactions: woodywhippet61