Newly diagnosed

Kittycat_7_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi All,
Was diagnosed type two a few weeks ago, now my GP isn't sure. She has sent me for a GAD antibody test.
She has referred me to the community diabetes team.
Hope I can get my blood sugars down 20 again today.
I feel very ill, very tired, urinating loads, very thirsty, blurry vision.
Has anyone else been referred to the community diabetes team? What might they do?
Thanks

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Sounds like the GP has done the right thing as you have high blood sugar and obvious symptoms which could point to T1 rather than T2. Note that a negative GAD doesn't prove that you aren't T1so bear that in mind. Another test, the c-peptide, can help show how much insulin you are or aren't producing regardless of the cause. The Community Team should be able to do the right things. I wish my GP had referred me but he hadn't a clue. Do keep the carbs down to help reduce blood sugar whilst being diagnosed.

Reactions: Kittycat_7_

Circuspony

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Good to hear your GP is referring you. It was the biggest moan my diabetes team had after I ended up in A&E - why on earth my GP didn't refer me earlier! They will run all the right blood tests and advise on diet and insulin if necessary. I'm very lucky to have an extremely supportive team who have been on the end of a telephone whenever I've needed them.

Do you know if your GP tested for ketones?

Reactions: Kittycat_7_

Kittycat_7_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
No my GP didn't test me for ketones. I have an appointment on Thursday I could ask for a test.