Newly diagnosed

PeterHud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi all. Newly diagnosed diabetic. I felt unwell and lost 2 stone over a course of 2 months and a trip to the doctor's revealed I was diabetic and was sent to hospital as my sugar level was over 25

Spent 6 days in hospital and now back home. This was a massive shock to me and was info overload. It still is.

Now on insulin injections and getting used to this new routine. Now I watching carbs/sugar/fat in food.

I am 55 and no one in family are diabetics. Diagnosed as type 1

Reactions: MzShah

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Good to see you were correctly diagnosed as T1. You'll soon get used to the insulin. BTW don't worry about fats. They do not cause weight gain or anything else to any real extent and are needed with proteins to balance a low-carb diet.

Reactions: Prem51

Bluey1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who try and make Diabetes the centre of the party and poor me, I'm special because I have diabetes now everyone run around after me.
Welcome to the club. From here on it's not as bad as you will be expecting. Yes a massive shock upfront then confusion, expect a little (or a lot) of depression, anger at why me etc. Just know it will pass and things will return to normal (whatever that is). In the type 1 forum we have all been there done that and come out the other side (some so young they have no recollection and you will be one of the oldest to get it. Look at it this way you have had all those additional years of all that sugar fun. It will take about a year for things to really settle. You may get a honeymoon, or partial (Diabetic free) for a time (a few days to who knows maybe 6 months or more). You only get one of those. I had thought about divorcing my diabetes and remarrying it (only if I had to as it's mother is a real #@%^*), to get a few more honeymoons.

Don66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi all. Newly diagnosed diabetic. I felt unwell and lost 2 stone over a course of 2 months and a trip to the doctor's revealed I was diabetic and was sent to hospital as my sugar level was over 25

Spent 6 days in hospital and now back home. This was a massive shock to me and was info overload. It still is.

Now on insulin injections and getting used to this new routine. Now I watching carbs/sugar/fat in food.

I am 55 and no one in family are diabetics. Diagnosed as type 1
Im 51 sounds just like mine but didnt end up staying in hospital

enzina

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pain, being dependent, egoistic people & jealousy
Im 51 sounds just like mine but didnt end up staying in hospital
.. and mine.
Hello Peter, welcome to the forum. I wish they would have put me on a basal/bolus insulin regime much earlier.

Best wishes

PeterHud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi all just a update ... Things going really well readings are hovering around the 5.2 to 9.9 (evening meal) but spends most of the time under 7.

Only hypo'd 3 times in January and those 3 were when I had a cold and my readings were going crazy. Not hypo'd since 7th Jan

Month of January my average is 6.1 .I keep track of everything in a spreadsheet and dietitian gave me a book to update .

Not sussed out the carb/insulin but feel that's at next diabetic appointment.

I have had loads of tests for other things and thankfully everything is okay.

Got a routine for injections and readings and even when going out weekends seem to not hypo.

Feeling wise - so much better that before diagnosed.