Newly Diagnosed?

1spuds

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I called the doctors office for a new prescription for more soft lancets and test strips. The doctor called me back and said there must have been a misunderstanding. I only need to test before meals and here and there after a meal.
I use the one touch ultra 2 monitor and the genUltimate strips from Walmart online.300 strips for 37 dollars delivered is hard to beat.Might not be the best meter,but its good enough,it will show your spikes to test food tolerances,and show any trends you will want to address.I test 3-7 times a day,depending on numbers and food choices.Pretty much know now what will and wont work for me.

Ive also read if testing only twice a day do a fasting in the morning and do one 2 hours after dinner.Seems reasonable enough I guess? I still test more,strips are cheap if you shop em out for price.

I hate going to walmart,but online?I leave my politics at the door on that one and go for price,we are talking my life,it trumps my politics on walmart good or evil.Same with my thyroid pills,wally is waaaaay cheaper than elsewhere.As for the rest of wally,my politics go back in play.

And since we are all different,you need to test to find what works for you.You may also find your own research is much much better than the Dr's advice,so many Dr's are way behind the times on diabetes management.I study diabetes for hours a day,I dont know any Drs or nurses that have that time even if they have the desire.

Great source is right where you are at.This forum sure set me straight! Why? Because its real folks,with diabetes, sharing what they do and backing it up with numbers,I dont know how a source could be better.

The 6 part youtube series by Dr Fung is an invaluable teaching program.In layman's terms,and what appears to be very good science...Its about diabetes,weight,and how insulin affects both.

Last edited: