Newly diagnosed

PhoenixLucy05

Hi
I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes on Wednesday my birthday of all days!
I have so many questions and I honestly don’t know where to start looking for information.
My blood test was 52mmol.
I’m hoping I can lose weight and try to reverse this as much as I can.
I’m waiting to speak to the nurse I just have loads of questions.
Thanks for reading

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @PhoenixLucy05 and welcome!

Do fire away with your questions. As Mike says it’d help people here to offer support if we know a bit more about you - how much weight you have to lose, what type of diet you follow and so on.

An HbA1c of 52 is not far into the diabetic range (which in the Uk starts at 48), so it should be possible for you to turn those numbers around. What you eat will be key to that.

As a starter have a look at this information and come back with any questions: https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/basic-information-for-newly-diagnosed-diabetics.17088/

PhoenixLucy05

Hi my weight is 19 stones so I’m on the heavier side I think I need to lose about 4 stone to start,my grandad also had type 2 diabetes but no one else in the family has had it, I am trying to look into diet plans that will work for me, what I think I will find hard it cutting carbs as I love pasta rice etc, any tips for things meal wise that you like to eat I’m not a lover of fish I have to say.
Hoping I can turn this around
Thanks for the welcome

PhoenixLucy05

I normally have cereal or porridge but like I say I know I need to rethink things and like I say I’m learning so it’s a bit trial and error at the moment.

My drinks I normally have coffee with 1 sweetener anything else is sugar free.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you so much for your help do you measure your bloods before and after eating? Sorry if I sound a bit thick lol

Yes, testing immediately before eating and again 2 hours after first bite is the general method. Ideally you’re looking for a rise of no more than 2 mmols. Any more and the meal needs adjusting (or abandoning depending on the result). You’ll soon get the hang of it.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi and welcome. A good start is to consider eggs & bacon etc for breakfast rather than porridge or cereal. I do have a very small amount of home-made muesli as well, but not cooked oats, with cold milk or sugar-free cranberry juice and berries. Be aware that some NHS dieticians haven't a clue about nutrition, so forget the 'sugar,fat,salt' mantra and just focus on carb reduction; fats are fine. You are only just in the diabetic range so you should be fine.

Reactions: PhoenixLucy05