Newly diagnosed

Jenmcd

Hi, I was diagnosed as diabetic a week ago, they are not sure if I will be type 1 or 2 yet waiting to get enzyme bloods back. Anyway my issue is that I have a very sweet tooth. Can anyone suggest anything I can do to help this? Thanks

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, I was diagnosed as diabetic a week ago, they are not sure if I will be type 1 or 2 yet waiting to get enzyme bloods back. Anyway my issue is that I have a very sweet tooth. Can anyone suggest anything I can do to help this? Thanks
Dunno whether you are a type to go cold turkey or whether gradual is more your thing, but you'll have to decide that for yourself. I used to have a sweet tooth too. Five spoons of sugar in an espresso, you could stand that thing up in the cup. (My grandmother always said I'd turn into a sugar animal, a kind of old fashioned candy, one day... Turned out, she was right! ;)) I went kind of slow, with sweeteners first and then quitting those when it turned out they upset my gut. It takes a little while, but your palette does get used to it, and the cravings eventually go away. There are things like keto fatbombs (google them!) that could scratch the itch, if you do want something sweet. Or have some berries with clotted cream or something. Still relatively sweet but better for a diabetic than something really, really sugary. You could try to find things you can stomach that can tide you over. Or you just quit the lot and wait for your palette to change. (You'll know it changed when you can detect sweet notes in 85% chocolate. Then be amazed at 100%, because everyone else thinks it's revoltingly bitter and you can just enjoy it without your mouth puckering up. ;) )

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/blog-entry/the-nutritional-thingy.2330/ might help some with dietary changes, though as you don't know yet what type you are, you might want to hold off for the time being.

Good luck!
Jo

Reactions: ziggy_w and Jenmcd

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There's a school of thought that consuming sugar (or other refined carbohydrates) fuels the craving for more and more of the same - indeed a lot of food manufacturers businesses depend on this), so stopping does mean that , over time, the cravings disappear too.
It's just a matter of whether you go cold turkey or slower knowing that the latter can be easier to fall off the wagon more often.
Once you've stopped the first sweet tooth the rest fall into line more easily
But the good news is there's plenty of support around as so many are doing this now.