Newly diagnosed

lovefuchsias

Hi Everyone. I have just been diagnosed this week as being diabetic. My HbA1c is 49 so not too high. I am still trying to get my head around it all. I hear that pairing of foods is important. Any tips will be much appreciated. I've not got a blood testing monitor but am thinking of buying one as otherwise how will I know if what I am eating is suiting me.

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Are you T2? If so the best thing I would say is to cut carbs in your meals and drinks - not just sugar, not swap white bread for brown but drop the carbs and replace with good quality fats and meat/fish/eggs/cheese. If you want to eat fruit restrict it to berries and rhubarb.
I eat green veg, cauliflower, green salad, tomatoes in small amounts along with chicken or fish for my main meal, and often skip lunch or have cheese and lettuce.

Reactions: jjraak

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Everyone. I have just been diagnosed this week as being diabetic. My HbA1c is 49 so not too high. I am still trying to get my head around it all. I hear that pairing of foods is important. Any tips will be much appreciated. I've not got a blood testing monitor but am thinking of buying one as otherwise how will I know if what I am eating is suiting me.

You are classed as type 2 diabetic but only just. Anything over 47 is classed as t2. I was 62 on diagnosis but pulled it back quickly with small but significant changes.

I made a video recently that I feel will help those newly diagnosed.

45 minutes and 79 slides full of information I've picked up in the 4 and a half years since my diagnosis. It will hopefully help.

Reactions: chugger