Newly Diagnosed

Jimbo1973

Dislikes
Beetroot, Cucumber, Radish, Prawns - and arrogant people that have no understanding of how ill you can really be without looking ill
Not sure if this is the right place to do this, but here goes:
I was diagnosed with type 2 on the 17th October this year, so it's all very new to me at the moment. If i'd have taken the time to research the net a bit more carefully I may have picked up on it a number of months ago when i first started having the, now obvious, symptons that may lead to a succesful diagnosis.

For me it started off with an increased intake of fluids, up to as much as 6 or 7 litres a day in some cases, plus an increase in appetite with weight loss - I just put it down to stress with my job (car salesman, under a lot of pressure). I'd been suffering with a recurring chest infection every 6 months for about 5 years, the doc just put it down to me "not being well and picking up every bug that was floasting around"
Then the dreaded genital itch started followed by thrush, so a trip back to the docs for antibiotics and cream. Still no mention of diabetes and no blood tests - doc said it was balanitis (is that how it's spelled ?)
After starting to clear, the symptoms became worse and it got to the point where i could not retract my foreskin at all (phimosis) - this started to have a dramatic effect on my previously active sex life. I rang NHS direct for some advice and they asked me a load of questions that I thought were completely irrelevant at the time - I now thank the staff there for their prompt actions.

A trip to my late night walk in centre provided results of 18.7 for my BM's - even the doc said they were quite high seeing as i'd NOT eaten for about 5 hours, plus a urine sample full of ketones confirmed that I was on my way to the hospital.
I was called at home around 3.30 am on the saturday to be told that they now had a bed. so could i drag my sorry ass into the H for some tests - in a nutshell I spent 4 days there while they got me stable. My highest reading went 26.8 whilst there.

Im on Metformin now, plus a helthy balanced diet, and am told in time i will return to some sense of normality, but can no longer go on the binges i used to have at work (the vending machine company may go bust now i'm told :D )
A minor op in 12 days will cause me no more problems with thrush and or phimosis as I now have to be circumcised. I check my BM's on a daily basis and for the last few days they were around the 9.6 mark - even after A 12hr fast, but again i'm told this will settle down in time - the only exception to this has been this morning when they were 14.2 with a check ketones message on my monitor.

I'm 35 and have been a bit overweight for a few years now, but the weight is literally falling off me - I was 18st 10lbs in december last year and on wednesday this week at the pre op assessment clinic i was 15st 11lbs, pretty much 3 stone in about a year.

So - i'll be an active participant on here, no doubt i'll have a million and one questions for people to answer, and i'll apologise if I ask something that has already been asked, but i'll try and make use of the search facility before I do.

Jim

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I suggest, that you try a reduced carb diet. this should help get those BGs down and also the weight.
Many of us on this forum have doubts about the so-called healthy balanced diet" Eat plenty of complex carbs with every meal" will keep your BG steady. But it will be steady and high, unless you take medication.
Also may Isuggest you read
Dr. Bernstein's Diabetes Solution. this book has all the information. Most UK doctors don't go along with Bernstein's point of view, but I've never found him wrong (for me!)

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
hya jim,
sorry youve joined the diabetic club,But welcome now your here,keep asking the questions and u will learn so much :D

VBee

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Baked beans
Well done on the weight loss! I'm trying for that now. :wink:

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
Welcome to the forum,Jim,ask all the questions that you want,there's usually someone with an answer.

Jimbo1973

Dislikes
Beetroot, Cucumber, Radish, Prawns - and arrogant people that have no understanding of how ill you can really be without looking ill
Cheers folks - i'll be on here most days, i'll just leave the site open while i'm skiving, I mean working all day every day :wink:

Ive already had a good nosy at the topics covered in some of the threads and have learned quite a bit already - more than the doctors have considered telling me when I was in hospital.

Great to see so many people who are willing to help each other

Jimbo

Trinkwasser

hanadr said:
I suggest, that you try a reduced carb diet. this should help get those BGs down and also the weight.
Many of us on this forum have doubts about the so-called healthy balanced diet" Eat plenty of complex carbs with every meal" will keep your BG steady. But it will be steady and high, unless you take medication.
Also may Isuggest you read
Dr. Bernstein's Diabetes Solution. this book has all the information. Most UK doctors don't go along with Bernstein's point of view, but I've never found him wrong (for me!)

Agreed.

Some useful websites

http://www.alt-support-diabetes.org/NewlyDiagnosed.htm

http://www.loraldiabetes.blogspot.com/

http://www.dsolve.com/

The key is the testing to reduce your carb input to a level where your BG no longer spikes.

The rest of the job is to reduce insulin resistance, which is what the metformin's for. Growing and using muscle also helps with this, and should make the weight loss easier.

It would be a good idea to get a Full Lipid Panel, the ratio of trigs/HDL is indicative of insulin resistance (and also cardiovascular risk) and it is something you can watch improving in future (that's assuming your doctor will let you have one, increasingly PCTs are only permitting Total Cholesterol which is far less use, but cheaper)

Jimbo1973

Dislikes
Hi Wiflib - thanks for the link and yeah i've been fotunate to have the most fantastic Consultant Urololgy Surgeon in the world coem and spend well over 90 mins with me to discuss all my options. we both agreed that there is too mych damage for it to be anything other than a circumcision - tbh, the procedure does not worry me in the slightest, apart from the obvious discomfort that will follow afterwards.

They have now advised me that I will be staying overnight, as a precaution, rather than in and out the same day - I just truly dislike hospitals and, other than the dentis, is about the only fears I have in my life :D

I'm still working on my sugar levels, as these have been worryingly high over the last few days, despite all my efforts at not eating anything "bad" for me, with readings in the 9.2 - 14.6 range after a 12hr fast. Yesterday's reading was 14.6 with a "check Ketones" message on my One Touch Ultra Smart, so I rang the NHS Walk In Centre near where I work and she said it's ok, drink water and take another reading in 3 hours !!!
Todays morning reading was 10.3, again i've had nothing to eat since around 8.45 last nite when I had a piece of wholemeal toast with my meds - I can't understand where i'm going wrong in any way.

anyway, back to my desk for a bit, need to do some work today but i'll be around all day and will keep popping abck to see if anybody can shed some light on this for me.

Jim

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
hya jim,
can u tell us what a normal days food /drink intake is?? we may be able to give u some pointers :)

Jimbo1973

Dislikes
Ok here goes:

Breakfast - 2 slices of brown toast with a very light covering of good spread (flora light kinda stuff)
No mid morning snacks
Lunch: a sandwich - not prepacked, either made myself @ home or i'll buy what I need and eat it (2 slices of brown bread, lettuce, toms, onions, ham)
No afternoon snacks
Dinner: jacket spud or something equally tasty, maybe a bit of tuna or cotttage cheese

I drink loads of water now - im probably doing a couple of litres a day to be honest - not becasue im thirsty, mainly because im told it helps flush me out

I've not cheated once in the 3 and a bit weeks since diagnosis, no sneaky choccie biscuits or a bag or Prawn Cocktail walkers.

Yesterdays readings wer all over the place:
2 slices of granary toast
2 slices of granary bread with ham. lettuce and a small spoonful of low sugar coleslaw (treat ?)
Did not have a main meal at teh mother in laws as I fell asleep on the sofa - but had some plain basmati rice with a wholemal chapati around 9pm last nite
Readings from 10.6 in the AM - to 16.2 when I turned up at the walk in centre last nite to discuss how **** I was feeling

Today - again had some toast, lunch had two more pieces of toast (no spread this time) and ive had a few glasses of water - had an apple as well about 15 mins ago
For dinner tonight ive just asked for a couple of new potatoes and a plateful of veggies - cant really face eating any meat at the moment

I'm still waiting to see the dietician and the diabetes team at the centre - should be just after my op all being well
*NOTE* Just done my BM;s now - 2 hours after 2 toast and 15 mins after an apple - 15.2 - these were 10.1 this morning before eating any toast

Jimbo

Trinkwasser

You REALLY need to read this

http://www.alt-support-diabetes.org/NewlyDiagnosed.htm

and this

http://loraldiabetes.blogspot.com/2006/10/d-day.html

You are eating EXACTLY the wrong things, which is probably what you were told to eat.

Just forget about low fat, CARBS are what is whacking up your BG to frankly damaging levels. Try not eating all that toast bread and potatoes, eat plenty of these

http://www.diabetic-talk.org/freeveggies.htm

along with fish and meat and nuts and cheese instead, you'll probably be amazed how quickly your numbers come down.

Jimbo1973

Dislikes
Now it's even more confusing - yeah your right Trinkwasser, thats exactly what I was told to eat to get me started - ive just rang the diabetes clinic and asked for an appointment to see them and the dietician ASAP.

Most of the things on the links you gave me I can eat no probs, the exception is fish. Time for yet another rethink - and some long hours of reading and understanding

Cheers

Jimbo

Jem

Dislikes
People that feel just because diabates is a life-threatening "illness" it should be treated with kid gloves and nobody is allowed to have a laugh. My humour got me through abuse, near death experiences, serious and debilitating illnesses and lifelong pain and deformity - why give up the thing that works??
Hope things are beginning to make a bit more sense now Jimbo - at least you've found the macanuts to stave off the crisp-machine!

I guess we don't know each other well enough for me to make jokes about pee-ing straight :) but I am sure that everything will go well with your procedure and how good to know you've got a good consultant.

You've already had some good words of advice about trying the low-carb approach so I won't jump up and down about it - but it certainly works for me and has reduced my BGs considerably ... in fact, despite HATING blood tests I am actually really looking forward to having my hba1c taken next week just to see what improvement is made through sheer bloody mindedness :) (and a little metformin!)

Best of luck with everything and please stick around, you have a good sense of humour and that WILL help you get through the poopy times :)

Lots of smart people reside here and will try their best to answer any other questions you might want to ask :)

Best, Jem xox