Newly diagnosed

elainegold

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Just goes to show how different areas have different guide lines my diabetic nurse said the starting level for Metformin used to be 48 but they now are advised to put all diabetics on Metformin whatever their levels were at diagnosis.. mine was 46. I don't really have a problem with it as most people say Metformin is a good drug to take
I was told that up to 48 is pre diabetes and anything over 48 is diabetes. Surprised you were told you were diabetic at 46 and put on medication.

cz_dave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi thanks for this I'm 45, I did wonder about T1 as I had lots of relatives on my father's side of the family with T1. My brother and twin sister also have T2 my brother who's very slim and fit got diagnosed about 8 years ago and my twin sister who is also slim had gestational diabetes 12 years ago and it stayed so they diagnosed her with T2.
Yes. You should insist on a GAD test to see if it could possibly be T1.

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
hi @Kafalf having read your post I must agree with @Daibell in that it doesn't sound like your typical T2 profile and more like T1. However, your response to her raises my interest in that you could have a type of MODY. You could ask your GP to refer you for further tests (GAD to see if it is T1/1.5 and genetics for MODY) but the NHS seem very reluctant (money) to diagnose properly and just jump on T2 and then redefine when it all falls apart.