Newly doagnosed son and blood levels

MrsBaldie

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
We are about 10 days in and have now started experiencing some lows. They seem to follow a pattern, he has breakfast and lunch novorapid. At 6pm he has lantis and then dinner between 6.30 and 7 with novorapid before. We then test about 9-10 as he goes shaky tonights test was 4.2. I have then given fruit juice and a snack. Morning readings are around 11-13. Am I expecting too much too soon or is there a reason to this pattern I am missing. Feeling like We have no control at all and have gone from having a happy carefree son to one who will have me constantly watching him. He is 15 and I feel like he has had so much taken away. Do things settle down.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If you phone the nurse with those numbers she will tell you the dose change to make, everything needs to go through the team at this stage

It's a real worry to start with but it will become just part of the day

There is a free online course and workbooks and a diary that will give you a good overview and make it easier to tell the nurse the right info. Until you get your course
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/newly-diagnosed.60873/#post-583801

Last edited by a moderator:

MrsBaldie

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks she is on my list tomorrow, I know its early days. We are on a sliding scale at the moment but the drops have happened at the same time for the last 3 or 4 nights amd then the higher scores in the morning. Wasn't sure if its diet related or just things trying to settle down. I like to have all the answers and be in control and don't cope too well when I am not. I keep thinking of all the years he has to deal with this and if i can give him a good start it will help when he is older.

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The workbooks on the link will be a big help to get your head around it

A T1 will advise for tonight but if you are on a sliding scale can you drop the novo back a bit for tea?
If you put up your doses and insulin to carb ratio. It will help them advise you

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
Good advice from Jack there. 10 days in you're still experimenting with dose and there will be a few hiccups along the way. The good news is that if it is something regular, it's usually quite easy to remedy. The random high/low can be much more difficult. The best thing to do for now is keep a diary and record everything, BG levels, insulin, carbs eaten, exercise taken and then, as Jack said, take these results to your DSN/doc to discuss any dose adjustment that may be required. Good luck.

Nyxks

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Discrimination based on gender, age, medical conditions, etc.
It might be the lantus being given to early since most prespcribe it as a nighttime insulin or early morning (split) - might check into that since it could be effecting him … also reason why its given doing to bed is to help control morning spikes like he's having (at least that is how it was explained to me and why I need to take it going to bed).

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks she is on my list tomorrow, I know its early days. We are on a sliding scale at the moment but the drops have happened at the same time for the last 3 or 4 nights amd then the higher scores in the morning. Wasn't sure if its diet related or just things trying to settle down. I like to have all the answers and be in control and don't cope too well when I am not. I keep thinking of all the years he has to deal with this and if i can give him a good start it will help when he is older.

How did it go with the nurse?
Did you get the answers you needed, Is she addressing the morning high and the after tea low that made him shakey at this stage

Did you have a look at the workbooks yet?

MrsBaldie

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all, the nurse dropped his dinner insulin by one unit which helped with no low last night, but we have had a low mid morning and this afternoon. Could it be the honeymoon period starting. He is out sailing for an hour or so tomorrow so out lantis tonight and tomorrow are being reduced abit. Still not sure why it is happening I thought the biggest worry was from stopping it going too high. We are booked onto a carb counting cpirse at the end of August.

phyden

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
cold callings
Hi well I have not been around so I suppose I an rather behind with the news.
Since my last mails life took a tern for the worst and I now have cronic kidney failer. I have been taken of my Meliform and I now am on Foxazosin
1mg, Nazdol MR 30 mg and Spironolactone, this Morning I was told not to take eny more of the Spiroonlactone.

Well I am not sure witch tablets is messing my head but one sure is, when I get up out of the chair my am dizzy and feel I want to be sick. Ok I know I am well new to this but well I was told in January I had 2 but well I keep having blood taken but I have never been told about my b/s and I do not have anyway of checking, please help.

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If the sailing is he first active day since diagnosis the nurse may be being safe on the lantis.

This is why you go with the nurse, in my inexperience I would have thought less novo and more lantis to get the morning down

Reactions: 2 people

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi well I have not been around so I suppose I an rather behind with the news.
Since my last mails life took a tern for the worst and I now have cronic kidney failer. I have been taken of my Meliform and I now am on Foxazosin
1mg, Nazdol MR 30 mg and Spironolactone, this Morning I was told not to take eny more of the Spiroonlactone.

Well I am not sure witch tablets is messing my head but one sure is, when I get up out of the chair my am dizzy and feel I want to be sick. Ok I know I am well new to this but well I was told in January I had 2 but well I keep having blood taken but I have never been told about my b/s and I do not have anyway of checking, please help.
That's no good mate, it sounds like low blood pressure. I would ring the dr and see what he thinks