Newly Type 1 Teenager

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Liars... and fig rolls
Hiya!
So my name's Nicole McDonald, I'm 16, and I've just been diagnosed as a type 1 diabetic. Huge shock, completely out of the blue, stuck in a high dependency ward for 5 days... but finally, my first full week back at home has ended and I'm trying to get back to my normal routine.

I don't know how I feel. It didn't really sink in for a while, but after my first little breaking-down-crying session in the hospital, I feel a lot calmer and relaxed about the whole thing, much more than I thought I would. I mean, before the day of my diagnosis, I'd never even seen a needle in my life - suddenly I'm being woken up every hour throughout the night to have my finger pricked/blood glucose levels tested, and I'm injecting insulin into my own stomach 4 or 5 times a day. It's been a massive lifestyle change.

My symptoms were pretty much the usual - lots and lots of drinking, lots and lots of peeing, lots and lots of sleeping... I also lost around 2st in weight, which was actually what finally drove me to go and see my doctor two or three months after these symptoms first appeared. One thing I'll never forget is the look on his face when he did a quick blood glucose test and my result came back at just over 22!

So... I suppose the reason I joined this forum was to get a bit of help. From what I've read so far, everyone seems to really know what they're talking about and give good advice! The most comforting thing, actually, might even be just the knowledge that even the people that were diagnosed 10, 20, 30+ years ago are still making little mistakes every so often - it makes me feel less like an idiot who doesn't know how to control my own body!
I realise that it seems to be mostly adults on this page, but if there are any younger members like me still in high school, how do you cope with it? I haven't eaten a school lunch since diagnosis because I'm scared of getting the carb count wrong, I'm terrified of having a hypo during class, I'm worried about the stress and pressures of aiming for straight-A's and writing personal statements for university like I was before I was diagnosed... It's just my first week back at school and already today, I forgot to bring needles for my insulin pen to school. It's a nightmare at times!
Another thing is driving - I turn 17 in less than 3 weeks now, and I was so excited to get my provisional and start driving lessons, but I feel so deflated knowing that I can't ever have a full licence and I need to be far more careful in a car and remember a little more than my friends would have to! Does it really make a huge difference to car insurance prices, or is that a myth?

I may add more later, but I'd really like to get to know a few people, because I literally know absolutely no one else with type 1 diabetes, and my family have no clue what they're doing at the moment! It's going to take a lot to get used to for all of us, not just me.

Thank you all so much!
Nicole x

Attachments

• 12240479_10207716251649407_7978018391062373964_o.jpg
    12240479_10207716251649407_7978018391062373964_o.jpg
    577.5 KB · Views: 247
Reactions: 4 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Welcome to the forum Nicola.

Really good news that your coping well and yes diabetes does come as quite a shock, but as you've realised already there's people on the forum who have lived with type 1 for 30,40 & 50+ years who live relatively normal lives, so do stick around and take a good look around the Children & Teens section of the forum as you will see that we have members in similar age group to yourself.

Reactions: 2 people

alexhill05

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You'll get used to it pretty quick! You'll learn to count carbs and jab in the right amount of insulin. Hypos in class are an excuse to bail on ****** lessons and go get some sugar ;) (don't do that, that's bad..)

Good news is as far as Diabetes doesn't make any difference to your car insurance! Just make sure a) the dvla know b) your insurance know and c) you test before you start driving!

Welcome though, I know there's a few of us a bit older (18-25 band) but check the teen section and there will be a few about!

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi and welcome to the forum. Im sure you will find it an invaluable resource for information and support. If you.have any questions just ask.

Aginoth

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi and welcome to the club no-one wants to join.

You sound like you are making a good effort to get a handle on this condition; which is excellent. a good positive attitude is one of the best ways to stay on top of this :)

Good Luck :)

Cjburny

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hey Nicole, firstly... Welcome! Secondly, I was diagnosed with Type 1 a little under two weeks ago, and as you can see by the replays you aren't alone here, these guys and gals are great at answering any questions you may have.

I'm 20 so not that much older than you, and the diagnosis did hit me like a freight train...

I openly broke down because I seriously thought that was it, that my life was over, I had a serious fear of needles and when it came to injecting my insulin I just froze up and and basically blacked out.

I could go on and on about how my world was turned upside down but I won't because that's not the reason I'm typing.

With the whole food thing it's all trail and error, certain foods can have different effects on you, naturally most of it comes down to research and planning your meals, but naturally I won't give you a list of things you can and can't eat as "everyone is different" naturally the one food group I can insist you give a wide berth is processed packaged foods I.e Rustlers Burgers, even though I used to live of those Because have you ever seen a mouldy Rustlers?? No? Yeah there's a Reason for that...

It gets easier though trust me, everyone on this forum I've met has given nothing but help and support, so naturally if you have something your not to sure about, no matter how small, just ask and someone will answer as best they can.

Now on the subject of Hypos, Firstly there's a Hypo awareness course online that's really good in filling you in about the warning signs, what to do ect, so I would recommend that if you haven't already.

Usually when I go out to work, social event, Uni, I take Glucose tablets with me in my kit, or a bottle of lucozade, some people have five jelly babies in a bag ect.

Other things like injecting and taking your blood will become second nature, like I said I used to be terrified of needles, now I just do it like clock work without flinching.

All in all the overall thing I can say to you is that it does get easier, trust me on that, I went into hospital with my blood sugar nearing the 30.0 mark

Although I hope your friends aren't as bad as mine trying to bribe me in letting them inject my insulin for me for the chance to stab me with a needle...

pleinster

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
ignorance
Hiya!
So my name's Nicole McDonald, I'm 16, and I've just been diagnosed as a type 1 diabetic. Huge shock, completely out of the blue, stuck in a high dependency ward for 5 days... but finally, my first full week back at home has ended and I'm trying to get back to my normal routine.

I don't know how I feel. It didn't really sink in for a while, but after my first little breaking-down-crying session in the hospital, I feel a lot calmer and relaxed about the whole thing, much more than I thought I would. I mean, before the day of my diagnosis, I'd never even seen a needle in my life - suddenly I'm being woken up every hour throughout the night to have my finger pricked/blood glucose levels tested, and I'm injecting insulin into my own stomach 4 or 5 times a day. It's been a massive lifestyle change.

My symptoms were pretty much the usual - lots and lots of drinking, lots and lots of peeing, lots and lots of sleeping... I also lost around 2st in weight, which was actually what finally drove me to go and see my doctor two or three months after these symptoms first appeared. One thing I'll never forget is the look on his face when he did a quick blood glucose test and my result came back at just over 22!

So... I suppose the reason I joined this forum was to get a bit of help. From what I've read so far, everyone seems to really know what they're talking about and give good advice! The most comforting thing, actually, might even be just the knowledge that even the people that were diagnosed 10, 20, 30+ years ago are still making little mistakes every so often - it makes me feel less like an idiot who doesn't know how to control my own body!
I realise that it seems to be mostly adults on this page, but if there are any younger members like me still in high school, how do you cope with it? I haven't eaten a school lunch since diagnosis because I'm scared of getting the carb count wrong, I'm terrified of having a hypo during class, I'm worried about the stress and pressures of aiming for straight-A's and writing personal statements for university like I was before I was diagnosed... It's just my first week back at school and already today, I forgot to bring needles for my insulin pen to school. It's a nightmare at times!
Another thing is driving - I turn 17 in less than 3 weeks now, and I was so excited to get my provisional and start driving lessons, but I feel so deflated knowing that I can't ever have a full licence and I need to be far more careful in a car and remember a little more than my friends would have to! Does it really make a huge difference to car insurance prices, or is that a myth?

I may add more later, but I'd really like to get to know a few people, because I literally know absolutely no one else with type 1 diabetes, and my family have no clue what they're doing at the moment! It's going to take a lot to get used to for all of us, not just me.

Thank you all so much!
Nicole x

Hi, Nicole. Now, I am way older than you at 53, and I'm type 2 not Type 1...and I know that without my advice on how you will come to terms with things (which you will), and put yourself in control (which you will) you will get there...but..what I can help a wee tiny bit with is how you cope at school...as I was housemaster in a boarding school for years (charged with pastoral welfare as well as overseeing the academic and social well being of 60 pupils each year), so I know what rights you have as a pupil and what kind of support you can expect. I have taught hundreds of pupils from 11 years old through to A level for years and designed a number of study strategies. I also headed the school careers guidance and have assisted hundreds of pupils to write personal statements. So, feel free to ask whatever in relation to those areas and I shall do my utmost to respond directly. Don't begin to worry about personal statements - I can tell you exactly what needs written and the best way to do it (but I'm sure you will have guidance at school) - but if you need any extra help (I can write them in my sleep...admittedly often nightmares!). I'm out of teaching now..and since major ops (unrelated to diabetes), I am a "kept" man these days (my poor wife!).
More immediately, you will have a registration teacher or form tutor or something, or a nurse or a person responsible at your school - inform them, ask them to keep spare needles in a locked drawer for you just in case), ask about particular foods being available to you (speak with the manager of the food preparation - you'd be surprised how many kids there are with special requirements/allergies etc). If all else fails on these fronts speak to the headmaster. It pays to make senior staff aware...and, to be frank, a personal statement can be very cleverly written to discretely emphasise how well a pupil with added pressures has coped. If you were an A grader before diabetes, well...now you will be an A grader with diabetes. Sadly, if you were in fact the kind of kid who can't count with both hands..that won't have improved now due to diabetes :). No offence to those who are so mathematically challenged (I am). Anyway point is - you'll be absolutely fine, pal. Dig in. Anything at all I can advise on - do not hesitate. Good luck. Sounds like you are the kind of young person who takes control.

Last edited by a moderator:

wiserkurtious

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes :P having to eat food in moderation
Hiya!

Thank you all so much!
Nicole x

hi and welcome to the diabetic community :) as time goes by you ll get used to things,whenever we get diagnosed with something I think it always comes as a shock.try not to get to downhearted about things,I look at diabetes in a way that It makes us become more responsible In everything we do and for me its made me a healthier person. diet's totally changed for the best,never been so fit in my life,I was always active but not to the extent I am now :)

Kurt_Guest

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hey, i'm 20 i got diagnosed with type 1 close to two years ago and at first I couldn't bring myself round to it i wouldn't check my bloods regularly and i wouldn't carb count, it was pretty hard as i knew nothing about diabetes and non of my friends or family knew much about it. I did a course all about t1 and i learned so much, especially carb counting its a lot to take in at first but trust me it gets so much easier and yes you'll have your ups and downs you control your diabetes not diabetes controls you, if you ever need anyone to talk to just message me, it would be nice to talk to someone my age too x

Reactions: 6 people