News: Jamie Oliver urges Government to ban selling energy drinks to children

bangkokdiabetic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Not confused, though I would agree I highlighted just one of the many problems.
I do not believe Jamie Oliver to be a hypocrite, just that in view of the point I made about how he makes a living strikes me that his attitude regarding the energy drinks seemed to me to be hypocritical. I fully agree that these energy drinks are not good for children. I don't think they are good for most adults either, though I know they are useful for some diabetics to resolve a hypo.

To say there are 2 problems is somewhat simplistic. To give just a few examples :there are numerous problems in the food industry, the big companies are embedded in politics, the lack of education in simple nutrition some parents have, also the disinterest in their childrens' welfare from some. When I was young, mothers and grannies taught us how to cook using fresh, natural ingredients. There were also lessons in school cookery classes. Now most parents are too busy earning a living and many rely on microwave meals to feed the family. Schools I know of don't have cookery lessons any more. They have 'food technology' lessons instead. We have also been conned by the advertising suugesting high energy drinks etc were somehow healthy. I even know of an athlete who consumed them during a marathon because they had been advised by a university sport science expert that he needed to replace the 'essential' minerals and electrolites lost through running. That athlete was extremely ill with kidney problems for months after.
Energy Drinks
I think if we take your suggestion seriously @bangkokdiabetic we will end up with pushers of illegal energy drinks profitting from secret sales of the stuff, just as with other drugs.
Big problem no simple solution.
I am aware there are many problems in the food industry I was responding to your post if my answer can be called simplistic I was addressing you comment about Jamie and the proposals about Energy Drinks (subject of this thread.) not the problems of the food industry which are numerous and complex

Noblecheese

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have 6 of his books most recipes are nutritionally balanced and healthy. Obviously a chocolate pudding is exactly that and ladened with sugar. Interestingly he has sparked this conversation. Conversation equals added awareness. Didn't think that would be a bad thing. Hypocritical or not. I've never heard Jamie promote sugar or puddings as an every day necessity. I presume the people that are bagging Jamie would of much preferred him to say nothing. Which we wouldn't either . Yay

Noblecheese

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Do people honestly think there will be energy drink or sweetie pushers. Are there alcohol or cigarette pushers. I believe drugs should be legal but not for 12 year olds

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I see children drinking energy drink on the way to school and on the way home. We have sports people promoting them! Anything that stops energy drink being considered a normal part of life must be good.

bangkokdiabetic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Do people honestly think there will be energy drink or sweetie pushers. Are there alcohol or cigarette pushers. I believe drugs should be legal but not for 12 year olds
the problem is without pushers kids still get hold of alcohol and cigarettes so you could assume they will get hold of energy drinks as well. sold to them by corner shops who don't care. by adults who think that they are not doing anything wrong

I believe drugs should be legal but not for 12 year olds[/QUOTE] WHAT DRUGS ?? WHAT AGE ?? whatever your answer I believe you are WRONG !! legalize drugs and watch the Country go to the dogs even faster than it is at the moment a nation of ADDICTS

Cumberland

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Foodwise Nuts & Mushrooms (Vomit)
The quickest way for me to get out of a bad hypo is to drink a small glass of lucozade

Jamie Oliver can do one for me

JRW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I really struggle with the concept of Jamie and his crusades, extremely patronising to say the least, the responsibility is with the parents not the govt to become food police.

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
How it willing children by giving them lots of sugar any different from killing them by hitting them over the head? Therefore why should the government outlaw one of the above but not the other.....

waterlily2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I know this is primarily aimed at kids and energy drinks but I drink diet blue charge, Asda’s version. It states it has no more caffeine than a standard cup of instant coffee. Before I was diagnosed type 2 And went low carb i needed a couple of glasses of this just to function. I still drink it because I like the taste. I’ve often been told I shouldn’t drink it but no one has yet given me a credible reason why. What is the problem if it’s sugar free, caffeine doesn’t appear to spike blood sugar