Newsly diagnosed, with a monstrous Hba1c

bchabfan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
So, 3 weeks ago, i was admitted to hospital with an excrutiating pain in my kidney - for the third time i had kidneystones. By fluke, on one of the random urine tests they noticed glucose in my urine. So out comes the blood sugar monitor - 17.2. Over the next 7 days they monitored it 4 times a day it it consistently held between 11 and 17. Finally, they had my Hba1c results back, and they clocked in at 116.

They had constantly been asking the standard questions abour warning signs, and nothing had flagged, predominantly because it was masked. ‘Do you feel tired’ - well yes, but i get up for work at 6 and have a 1 year old and a 3 year old. ‘Have you had unexplained weightloss’ - well ive lost a stone this year but thats because ive been going to the gym every day and have been actively trying to lose weight. You get the picture.

So, long and short, ive got a bit of an issue there (understatement). When i was told i weighed 103 kilos - big yes, but not crazy for a 6’2 40 year old. I’m fairly active, but have paid very little attention, stupidly, to my diet. Of course i didnt realise how stupidly until i started monitoring everything i eat and realised theres 7 grams of sugar in a **** carrot.

Gp consultation on the 10th october, confirmed all of the above and he talked about this 800 calorie trial. Urgh. Diabetic nurse appointment later that day and she gave me the parameters to a low calorie, 1165 (very precise!!!) diet with exact levels of nutrients to match. Target is to lose 20 kilos in 3 months. That sounded a better way of doing it to me - rather than a prescribed set of sachets of soups and shakes, you have to research all your food as you shop and fit within the parameters yourself. So it teaches you about the nutrients etc.

So, all rather tough. On top of kidneystones, and my father passing away, its been rather difficult to stop from moping. But yesterday, my motivation got that extra boost

You see, in the 10 days since i started, my weight has been steadily dropping - i mean 1165 calories a day, how could it not - ive lost 5 kilos in 10 days. But my blood sugar for the first 6 days was still double figures. Every time. I mean sure, it was 10s and 11s instead of 15s, but still too high considering im down to 55 grams of carb intake a day.

But then day 7, i got an 8.9, then an 8.2. Day 8 got an 8.6 and a post meal 8.8. Day 9 got a 7.9 and an 8.2. And this morning. This glorious, wonderful morning, i got a 7.0.

Still loads to do. 15 more kilos to lose. But without being on meds, i’m in the range.

Congrats on the progress! yes i hope to get off the pills too, stress sure messes with the sugars too

Tristan77

First hba1c results back today - 3 months after initial diagnosis. Ive moved from 116 to 52 in 13 weeks. Still a bit to do but so happy with that. I would have been happy with mid 60s considering where i started, so i’m chuffed!

AllieRainbow

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What a great result - keep at it and you will get into the normal range. It just shows what can be done with diet and lifestyle changes.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
First hba1c results back today - 3 months after initial diagnosis. Ive moved from 116 to 52 in 13 weeks. Still a bit to do but so happy with that. I would have been happy with mid 60s considering where i started, so i’m chuffed!

Fab result Tristan. Very well done.